Chapter 1

Here we go! First chapter. It's kinda dry with sci-fi stuff, but I promise it gets interesting from next chapter, if you know what I mean;)

Nova

"Dr Scott! These equations are theoretically correct but it's impossible to practically implement them" said Dr Roberts.

I knew this was going to happen, like always. Past two months of my life I had literally scratched my brains finding a solution to stabilize subatomic particles. Why do I even bother? Rest of the meeting was a blur.

I was the first person to walk out of the conference room. I ain't going to rest until I proved that old fool wrong and show who's the best scientist. This isn't my arrogance speaking. Being a scientist is about discovering possibilities and solutions not giving up. I was so immersed in my thoughts I didn't see Dr Evans approaching me.

"Nova, I heard what happened in the conference room. Listen, you are one of the best scientists the country has but please think this through. We don't have much time left for the International Science Summit, and we need a potential project completed by 2 months"

He was right but I still believed in existence of wormholes and Vampires. Ok maybe not Vampires, but I have to give this a try. I said "Dr Evans please give me a week, if I fail in proving my theory I promise I'll work on nuclear reactor project".

He let out a sigh, knowing he cannot win an argument with me and says "You have one week and Nova I believe in you" I smile and thank him. I hurry to my car and drive towards home. Dr Marcel Evans was my father's best friend. My parents were both scientists and they died when I was just 5 years old. Dr Evans had taken me under his care and helped me become what I was today.

I reached my penthouse in no time. I entered my living room and saw Luke sprawled carelessly on the couch eating my Bagels and ice cream. "I shouldn't have given you the spare key cause all you do is eat my food" I teased
"Hey, I eat only the snacks so you can eat the veggies. I don't want you to get fat now, do I?" he grinned
"You are lucky I love you, or I would have smacked you with my shoe and FYI I am very much fit".
Saying that I started walking towards my room I heard Luke shout "You have a nice butt tho". "Perv" I shouted back and heard his faint laughter.

I stepped inside the bathroom and turned on the shower. I allowed myself to relax and my mind wandered to random thoughts

Luke and I have been friends since 3rd grade. He was the new kid who was bullied and didn't have any friends and I didn't have any friends either cause I didn't like being around people. One day he was cornered by three kids in park who were forcibly shoving dirt inside his mouth and Luke was crying and trying to resist. I always carried a slingshot with me to shoo whoever came close to me. One look at Luke's face and I couldn't stop myself from pelting stones on those bullies. Two kids ran away but the third one was adamant so I punched him square in the jaw. And since then Luke and I have been best friends.

Luke is a fashion designer, and he always tries to get me in skimpy tight outfits saying that my body is made for these outfits. I would rather wear a hoodie and sweats. He loved partying, and would always try to drag me with him. I had been to a party only once and some random dude came over me. I kicked him in the nuts and shoved him on the floor. I never had a boyfriend cause all guys were jerks who just wanted to get in my pants. I had even smacked Luke a couple of times when he had tried to set me up with different guys.

"Nova, I don't like you spending all your time on work. Go out and live life. Who knows you may find a handsome knight in shining armour and he'd sweep you off your feet" he always says, "Nah, I'd rather watch Interstellar for the 43rd time"
"At least give it a try" he says
"Nah, nope and no"
This was how the conversations usually ended. Luke was a hopeless romantic and I can't even keep up the number of boyfriends he has had till date. Yes, he's into guys but all I wish he finds 'The one' he's looking for.