Chapter-32

Two whole years passed and day by day Nicholas was getting used to the same old torture. He started getting numb to the pain.

After his training, he used to go to the Servant’s Quarters.
Behind the building was a huge yard where he used to spend his free time.

He sat under the tree and slightly groaned.
He pulled his shirt up and saw that some of the stitches had opened up and fresh blood freely flowed down his stomach.
By now, he didn’t care much about his wounds getting opened up again.
He was pretty much used to it.

“You mind if I sit with you?”
He looked up to see a lean boy with shaggy brown hair was standing in front of him. The boy seemed to be around his age.
Nicholas didn’t even acknowledge him but the brown-haired boy sat next to him anyway.

“You do realise if you looked at things the better way, you wouldn’t have to sit here every day wallowing about your gloomy life” the boy said sarcastically.

Nicholas shot his eyes towards the boy.
“Mind your own business, scrawny boy. I can kill you without even using the quarter of my strength” he snarled at him.
“I know you can but, it’s not me you want dead…. it’s General Atticus, isn’t it? Or perhaps your father?”
Nicholas was stunned.
How does he know?

“The whole Kingdom knows that you get beaten up daily. They think you are weak but, I know that you are not” the boy said with a serious look on his face.
Nicholas raised one brow.
“What are you talking about?”

“Aren’t they teaching you how to combat and fight using swords and the other weapons?” the boy questioned to which Nicholas nodded his head.
“Have you ever thought that if you mastered the art of fighting then one day you might be able to defeat your own father?”
Nicholas was speechless! This ordinary boy had managed to make him realise.

“I also know you terribly miss your brother but, if you become stronger you can protect your brother in the future”
The boy was right, very much right.

“Carter! Where are you?”. A distant voice of a female shouting, resonated in the air.
The voice neared and a woman with ebony hair and olive skin, dressed in a maid’s clothes walked towards them.
“There you are!” she exclaimed at the boy and then she saw Nicholas.
“Oh, I’m sorry, Prince. Did my boy give you any trouble?” she asked worriedly,
Nicholas just shook his head.

The woman gasped when she saw the blood-stained shirt of the prince.
“You are bleeding, my Prince. Please allow me to treat your wound” she said with so much kindness and worry in her eyes that Nicholas, for a moment didn’t believe people such as her existed.
She begged him again. “Please, it will take only a few minutes”

Nicholas sighed and got up. The woman and the little boy led him to their tiny home in the Servant Quarters.
“I am Ada and this is my son, Carter” she said while dressing his wound.
“Nicholas”, That’s all he said.
“Yes, we know your name, genius” the lean boy said with a grin.
“Carter, stop being rude. He is the prince” Ada scolded him.

Nicholas didn’t mind much.
He was getting an unusual feeling of comfort and homeliness around these two.
A feeling that he only got around Theo.
Ada had treated him with more affection than his own mother ever had.

The only thing that bitch ever did was give birth to me, Nicholas thought angrily.
He despised his mother too!
She didn’t care if her own children lived or died but all she cared for was his monstrous father.