Chapter-18

Here's the update y'all been waiting for!
I really didn't have time to review it, so please do tell if you find any grammatical mistakes.
The chapter is really long btw,
3225 words!
Enjoy;)
*************

Nova

A flash of shock and realisation washed over his eyes as I looked at him with tear stricken eyes. He hadn't changed much since he left but I could see a few grey streaks of hair and some creases on the forehead.

"Nova? Kiddo? Is that really you?" he questioned in an unsure voice. I could see he was having a hard time believing the sight in front of him.
"Yes, it is me...Dad" I said in a low voice.
He embraced me and there was nothing more I could ask for!

All these years I had cried and cursed the universe for taking my parents away from me. Tormenting nightmares of losing them still haunted me but, I never expected that I would see my Dad again. I could only ask how.

My dad was alive!
Does that mean mom is alive too? I had so many questions!
Why on earth were they in Arcane?
In 16th century Arcane, which is ruled by the tyrannical King Nicholas!
Have they been living here for all these years?

"Nova...I-I don't understand...how did you get here? You are not supposed to be here" he said in a worried voice pulling back from the hug,
"It's a long story, dad...I made a mistake and now I'm stuck here..." I trailed off,
"I would like to hear it. I'm sure you have a ton of questions in your head right now and we could talk in my cottage, if you'd like to come" he offered and smiled.

I immediately nodded my head. But, then I remembered there were guards watching my every move and if I leave they would follow me.
Nicholas! He cannot find out about my dad.
He may use it against me and threaten me. I cannot risk putting his life in danger.

"Nova? You alright kiddo?" my dad asked worried,
"Dad, it's just that I'm surrounded by Arcanian soldiers and they would follow me if I go with you. I will explain everything later, but you need to go now and I will distract them. Tell where the directions towards the cottage, and I'll meet you there" I said discreetly.
"Find your way to the bell tower. It's the tallest building in the city as you can see it from here" he said gesturing towards a huge towering building which could easily be seen even from a large distance. I nodded and he kissed my forehead before going in a different direction.

I walked further, passing many shops and pushing through the crowded street. There were at least seven guards who accompanied us from the castle gates and I had to find a way to get them off track. I walked faster and pushed myself into a narrow lane. I continued walking and took random turns into different lanes. I could sense the guards behind me as I heard their faint footsteps while walking in the street. I tried getting them off my trail but there were a lot of them coming at me from different directions so, I unknowingly walked into small tavern.

The place reeked of alcohol and cigar. It was filled with drunkards and large scary looking men. I could feel their lustful gazes on me and I instantly felt uncomfortable. I turned back to get out of the door but someone grasped my wrist, preventing me from leaving. It was a woman dressed in old and worn out clothes. She was greedily gazing my royal attire.
"Excuse me, I have to be somewhere. Can you please let go of my hand?" I asked her,
"Not so soon. You are not leaving until you buy something from my tavern" she said in a slightly hoarse voice.
I didn't have a single penny with me. Then, out of nowhere an idea struck my head.

"Would you like it if I give you my clothes and my silver ring? I bet you would look more stunning than me" I said sweetly and smiled.
She would certainly fall for the trick.
Her eyes twinkled and she eagerly nodded her head.
"Lets go upstairs and get changed right away" she squealed,
"Very well then" I chuckled.
She definitely fell for the trick.