Chapter-39

Nova

Carter is going to be so mad at me.

I need to hurry!

But Ada would never let me go before I eat, so I went to the dining room first.

Twenty minutes later, I was back in the room. I quickly put on my armor and rushed to the Warrior Quarters.

As I entered the open field I felt everyone's gazes on me. They looked at me strangely as I was the only woman here.

I paid no attention to them as I made my way to my usual spot.

I saw Carter sitting by the tree with an annoyed expression. When he saw me approaching him he stood up and walked towards me with a full fledged glare.

"Carter! I am so sorry.... I completely.... forgot" I said heavily panting, as I gasped for more air.

He shook his head as I gave him a sheepish smile.
"You are late!" he stated as a matter of fact and continued,
"And your opponent is waiting for you in the fighting arena"

What!?

"You don't remember? Last week I talked to you about this duel while you were busy pining over Nicholas, rather than paying attention to me" he mocked sarcastically.

Oh right! He did talk about me being ready for a duel with one of his warriors.

"Do you really think I am ready?" I gulped nervously.
"Yes you are Nova. Just remember what I taught you and you are good to go" he smiled.
"Okay then!" I said to myself as I marched to the arena.

From the distance I could see quite a number of warriors gathered around the arena. I guess all were eager to see a woman fight as it was something they were not used to.

It wasn't like women weren't trained before. Carter did say that there were women who were trained but most of these women were either from royal families or the nobility. They were trained in private by another royal family member or close associate rather than being trained with all other warriors.

I entered the arena and took my place in the corner. I did a couple of stretches and lunges to relax my muscles.

The men in the audience were hooting and some even threw a few inappropriate comments which I knew were directed towards me.

I felt myself getting angry but I stayed calm shutting out all their voices.
The crowd went silent as soon as Carter entered the arena with another man who was equipped in armour just like me.

I guess he is my opponent!

He wasn't too bulky or tall but fairly built with an average height.
He walked in and stood opposite to me while Carter stood between the both of us.

"Gregory" the warrior introduced himself by extending his arm out as I shook it firmly.
"Nova" I replied and he curtly nodded.

Carter handed us our swords and walked out of the arena, and took his place among the crowd.
"You may begin in 3...2..." the referee proclaimed while we both took our positions.
"And 1" he finished and we both charged at each other almost immediately.

Gregory was much stronger than what I expected. I dodged his attacks and countered it with equal force.

Sounds of our swords clashing filled the air as everyone in the crowd watched us with utmost attention.

Then we both went for the attack at the same time, our swords crossing over as we battled for dominance.
Of course he was much stronger so he continued pressing the sword downwards, nearing my face.