-2-

A little while later, I'm coming down the stairs, and suddenly there's a knock at the door. I pull my phone out and check the time. 2:43 pm. That must be Alicia, I thought to myself. As I climb down the rest of the stairs and get ready to answer the door, I'm startled by a loud voice.

"Open the door you bitch!" It yelled, and I immediately recognized it as Daniel. Daniel pounded and kicked at the door. He was yelling profanities and threats and to be honest it was scaring me. I quickly called 9-1-1 and asked them to please hurry because my ex-boyfiend was trying to break in. I gave them my address and quickly hung up.

I ran upstairs and grabbed a bag and stuffed some clothes in it, and went to Tara's room and packed a diaper bag full of things. There was no way I was staying home alone. I would stay with Alicia or I would get a hotel room. But Daniel was scaring me.  My phone started ringing and I jumped, and then nervously laughed at myself. It was Alicia.
I answered and immediately she said,

"Why is Daniel banging on the door like a madman?"

"I broke up with him and now he's yelling threats, and to be honest he is scaring me," I desperately said into the phone.

"I hope you called the cops!" she whisper-yelled at me.

"Obviously! They should be here any moment. I have to go get Tara then we are going straight to a hotel," I said into the line.

"Im coming with you," she said mater-of-factly into the phone and then hung up.

After she said that I decided to get Tara's emergency crib from the closet, one that folds, and take it with me. I lift my head up and hear sirens. Thank you, Jesus, I say to myself. I can still hear the pounds and the kicks from downstairs.

I get all the things I'm taking with me together and go through the garage and quietly put them in my trunk. I run back inside and by now the cops have arrived. I peer out the window to see that the cops have tackled Daniel to ground. Another is walking up the walkway to the door. I take in a deep breath and open it up.

"Hi, thank you for getting here quickly, he was starting to scare me," I say with a smile.

"Just doing my job ma'am. I do have to go through and take your statement, is that alright?" He asked.

"Yeah, sure," I reply.

He goes through and asks me a list of questions and I tell him everything from the 4 year relationship, to the cheating, the the threats he spat at me. I told him everything. The cop started to develop a look of worry, and after he was finished taking my statement, he asked

"Would you like to put a protective order against him?"

I hadn't thought about this one bit but it wasn't the worst idea.

"Yeah, sure," I say.

And with that the cop nodded and was gone. I stood there and just breathed for a minute. I got a text on my phone. Alicia.

A : hey sweetie, I got Tara so you take your time alright? We're out here when you're ready to go.

Oh my God, Tara! I completely forget about going to pick her up. I glanced at the clock. 3:46 pm.

I locked all the doors and quickly left through the garage.