-1-

Behind me Daniel is still violently hitting on the door. He was the love of my life for many years and now all I have are the memories.

Forgive him. He's the only one who knows how to take care of you when you're sick. And how you like your sandwiches. He knows you from the inside out. My thoughts are attacking me, and my heart is shattering. But I have to stay strong. I get up and lock the door. This makes Daniel yell louder. I leave the room and run up the stairs. I slam the bedroom door, locking it even though I am the only one in the house.

At this point I'm sobbing uncontrollably. I don't know what to do. I sit and cry for about half an hour, and then I get up and look out the window. Daniel's car is gone finally, and for some reason I feel a weight lifted from my shoulders. I try and gather my composure, and look around the room.

I look at the clock. 12:43 pm. I have to go pick up my 2 year old sister from the babysitters at 3.

Our mother isn't dead, just unfit. I finally escaped her when I turned 17. She's a drug addict, addicted to everything you could think of. She also drank immensely. The day Terra was born, I was 16 and a half. I told myself that when I turned 17, myself and Terra were leaving and never coming back. I had a part-time job then. And I had been saving up since I first got it. My mom never took care of Terra , even when she came home from the hospital. I stayed up those nights Terra woke up every two hours. I fed her, changed her. I provided her needs. So why wouldn't I take her.

Me and Daniel we're talking about running away since forever. We got together when we were in 8th grade, and everyone said how we would get married. He hated my mother almost as much as I do. The day finally came of my 17th birthday. A week before then, I bought a house. It wasn't a very nice one, but, for $12,000 you couldn't beat it. There's not much for me to complain about. It's a three bedroom house with two bathrooms. The owners just willingly signed over the papers and it was mine. There was mold and rats, bugs and all sorts of stains everywhere. But I cleaned it up and now it's a home. I paid it in full a little after I turned 18. Which was about $20,000.

I'll be 19 in 4 months. College starts in 3. With Daniel staying behind and working, the thought of selling the house never crossed my mind. But with my being away at college 15 hours from here, it'll be broken into for sure.

I can't think about this right now, I say to myself. I look around the room, and Daniel is everywhere. His clothes in the closet. His shoes scattered across the ground. My eyes settle on something shiny hidden under the covers of his side of the bed. His phone !

I go to it and there are several missed calls from a name I don't recognize. Whitney. This must be the blond bimbo I saw him kissing at the gym. I scoff and throw the phone on the bed. I go downstairs and grab some boxes from the garage.

I immediately start packing his thing's, and I'm surprised when a teardrop hits my hand. I hadn't realized I was crying, but the fact that I was makes me even angrier and more and more tears fall. I let myself hold on to this pain for 10 minutes, and then stop. The clock reads 2:14 pm. I go for my phone and text my friend Alicia.

Me : hey ... Could you come over quickly. I promise to tell you more when you get here.

A : sure thing sweetie. On the way now!

I toss the phone and await my friends arrival.