-8-

After we get back to the house, it's nearly 3:20 and Alicia isn't back yet. I decide to shoot her a quick text.

Me : LeeLee where are you?

I waited patiently for almost an hour. I started to get stressed, and Ray noticed.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asks.

"I might be overreacting, but Alicia still isn't back. She left just a few minutes before you got here, and all she was doing was getting her things. She won't even answer my texts..." I was starting to really worry.

"Try and call her," he suggested.

I did just that, and her voicemail greeted me. I tried two more times, but the same outcome. I left her a voicemail.

Alicia, call me. I'm starting to worry and just need to hear if your ok. I love you .

I sat down on the couch, and put my head in my hands. Ray sat down next to me and started rubbing a circle around my back. This calmed me down, and I appreciated the gesture.

Just then, my cell phone rang.

It was an unknown number. I answered it wearily.

"H-hello?" I mumbled into the phone.

"Is this Delilah Jones?," the voice asked.

"Yes, why?" I asked back.

"This is  Ferry County Police, could you come down to the station, please? I have some news that shouldn't be said over the phone."

"Yeah, I'm on my way," I replied and the line went dead.

Ray had a questioning look. "That was the county police, and they said they had some news that shouldn't be said over the phone." I told him. "Could you go get Tara out of her room? And you don't have to go with if you wouldn't like but I'd like if you did," I added.

"Of course, I'm coming for sure," he told me. He got up and went upstairs to go get Tara. My mind was wandering and jumping to conclusions to conclusions. Maybe my mom is dead, I thought. Or Daniel? And then I gasped. What if Alicia is hurt.

I push the thoughts aside and got up and grabbed my keys. Ray came downstairs with a babbling Tara and I opened the garage door for him, and then he buckled Tara into her seat. After we were both situated, we started on our way to the police station.

When I parked my car in the lot, I took a deep breath in and got out. I grabbed Tara out of her seat and Ray shut the door behind us. We walked our way slowly to the door, and inside. I walked to the front desk, and told the lady somebody had called me, and told me to come down. "Delilah Jones?" she asked. I nodded my head and she had a sad expression on her face. She pointed down the hall to where the last office door was opened.

I went to it and knocked on it, and the officer inside looked up from his paperwork. "Delilah," he said and stood up from behind his paper covered desk. He motioned for us to have a seat, and said , "please, sit."

After a moment of us just sitting there, he finally broke the silence. "How do you know Alicia  Thomas?"

"She's my best friend, and did something happen to her? She didn't come home and -" the officer held his hand up to silence me.

"She was found inside of her car, outside of her parents residence..." He said, without finishing his sentence.

"... She was killed."

I gasped. Tears immediately entered my eyes

"That can't be true, she was moving into my house today, she was just getting her clothes and coming back. She can't be dead!"

Tears were streaming down my face now. Tara sensed this and started whining and putting her face in my chest. I held her tight. My heart was broken in so many little pieces. Alicia was my best friend. My sister. We just because roommates that day.

The officer watched me slowly fall apart. He pulled out a box of tissues and handed them to me.

"H-how did she d-die?" I asked.

"Well, she was murdered. We don't know by know yet but we are doing everything that we can. Do you know of any enemies that Alicia had?" He asked me.

"No! Everyone loved Alicia. I don't understand how anyone could hurt her," at this point I was crying again. The offer let me calm down for a few minutes before starting again.

"What about you?" He asked. "Any enemies that would want to hurt you?"

"No i-," I stopped and shuddered.

"Well actually, I broke up with my long term boyfriend yesterday. He didn't take it good at all. He was threatening me and yelling that I would regret breaking up with him. Do you think it could have been Daniel? The police arrested him yesterday when he was trying to get in the house." I was panic stricken. Does that mean that I'm next? I thought to myself.

"We will look into it. What's Daniel's last name?"

"Smith," I replied.

He started to type into his computer.

"It says here that Daniel Smith was bailed out by a Wendy Smith, at 2:12 pm" he read to me.

"Daniel's mother, I just went to see her today. I took over Daniel's things and brought it to her house, around 10." I told him.

He nodded and said, "we will find the person who killed Alicia. Do not worry. "

At this my tears were coming out like a waterfall down my cheeks. I put my hand over my heart, and the other was around Tara. I couldn't live without Alicia. She was my security blanket. She was my best friend. It was gonna be hard enough grieving over the loss of my four year boyfriend, but now I have the death of my best friend. I couldn't take it. I was sobbing uncontrollably.

The officer stood from his desk and picked Tara off of my lap. He rubbed my back and told me," I know this is the last thing you want to hear right now, but you are not alone. We have the best grief counselors in all of Washington State." He paused and reached into a file folder on his desk, and handed me a pamphlet. I put it in my purse without looking at it.

"Go home, get some rest honey. This is hard but you have to be strong for your little one." I nodded and stood up. I look at Ray. I had completely forgotten that he was here. He pulled me into an embrace, and I cried harder. Tara was now crying , crying for me, crying to be held by someone other than the strangers she was with. I sniffled and grabbed Tara from the officer and tried to calm her.

"Thank you," I said to the officer and be nodded with a sympathetic smile. We left the station and I put Tara in her seat. Next, all I see is black.

__________________________________

Hi guys! How are you enjoying the story so far? It's gonna get so much better in the future, and thank you to the 55 views in just 4 days. This is my first book and it just means a lot to me to see somebody taking the time out of their day to read it.

Comment any mistakes y'all see and any suggestions you'd like to add. Have a good one !