-18-

Delilah PoV

When the class was finally at a close, Tara was still sleeping. I carefully stood up so I wouldn't wake her, then I reached down for Tara's bag, but Ray was already holding it.

"Thank you," I tell him.

"Anytime," he replied.

We made our way down the isle of seats and out the door. We started walking to our next class.

"So who was that guy with you this morning?" he asked. So this is what has been on his mind?

"His name is Zac. And we have the first class together." I leave out the part where I'm totally obsessed with him.

He nods and sighs out.

"Why don't you want to be with me?" he stopped walking now and was facing me.

"Ray I-" I couldn't find the right words.

"So I'm destined to be 'just a friend' forever? I was there for you Delilah when nobody else was. I was the one who put your heart back together and it's like you don't even -"

"That's why I can't be with you Ray!" I said with a voice too high.
"Because you saw me at my worst. I lost my best fucking friend just to gain a new one. That's what you are Ray. That's what you have to be because if things ever went sour between us then that's me losing my best friend when I would need you most."

I know what I just said didn't make much sense, but my words were just spilling out. I take Tara's bag from him and start heading to my next class.

__________________________________
Zac PoV

The class was just what I expected...painfully long. I memorized Delilah's schedule when I saw it this morning, and I knew we would be in the next class together. And the next two after that. She was an English major like I am, so it wasn't much surprise to see us in a good bit of classes together.

The whole time my mind was on how beautiful she was. I tried reading her thoughts but she was just too far away.

The class finally ended and I raced out the room. Suddenly I started to feel distressed. I closed my eyes and my head started shaking.

I put a hand against a wall to steady myself, and thats when I realised that I must be feeling Delilah's emotions.

She must be distressed right now.

I closed me eyes and tried concentrating.

That's what you have to be because if things ever went sour between us then that's me losing my best friend when I would need you most.

She was talking to the guy that kissed her this morning. Oh how I wanted to punch him in his face. His eyes were fixed dead on mine the whole time.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts, and walked out into the courtyard. I spotted Delilah over the ocean of bodies and tried to quickly push my way through. She looked down at her schedule, but then someone bumped in her and knocked her bag off her shoulder.

My chest became hot with rage. They need to watch where the fuck they were going.

I was almost to her now. She just stood there for a second, still studying her schedule, so I had enough time to quickly close the distance and pick up the bag.

"Hey," I tried to say calmly, still mad about whoever bumped into her.

She quickly looked at me and smiled. This brought on a smile of my own.

"Oh, hey. What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Just on my way to the science building. How about you?" I questioned, already knowing the answer.