-34-

Delilah PoV

My head was pressed against the cold window in Zac's car. My mind was flooded with the past several hours.

Daniel kidnapped me.

He tried to kill me.

I would be dead right now if it wasn't for Zac.

I felt tears rush to my eyes and a whimper escaped my lips.

Zac's hand reached over and took mine.

"Please talk," he pleaded quietly.

"What do you want to talk about?" I asked too calmly. Any normal person would be in shambles right now.

I would be too if it weren't for the fact I was exhausted. But sleep wouldn't find me. Everytime my eyes closed, I saw Daniel's face.

The knife in his hand and the menacing smile on his lips.

"Delilah, are you okay? Please, be honest." I couldn't meet his eyes.

My phone sounded, and I looked down to read the alert.

*ALL CLASSES CANCELLED TOMORROW DUE TO FAULTY FIRE ALARMS*

I read the notice aloud to Zac and he nodded.

The car settled into another silence, this one not too comforting.

I sniffled. "I'll be okay, Zac. I think I just need rest."

He nodded, and pulled down a side road.

I looked out the window to find the familiar trees and road that led to the treehouse. I hid a smile. This place made me feel so happy.

He drove till we stopped at the clearing, and we got out the car. I picked up a now babbling Tara and set her on her feet.

"Dada," she squealed and tumbled her way toward Zac.

Zac's eyes met mine and he shrugged. Tara didn't even call Daniel dada and she was around him from the time she was born.

Zac picked her up and she hugged his neck.

"Affamata," her voice was loud in the open field, and Zac chuckled.

"'hungry' she says. Silly little girl," Zac started attacking Tara's tummy with tickles.

I smiled and walked ahead of them, my head looking toward the grass. A lot of things were trapped in my brain, trying to spring loose.

All I wanted in this moment was for Zac to hold me and tell me everything will be okay. I wanted him to kiss my forehead and pull me closer to his chest. I wanted to be enveloped in his calming smell. Cologne mixed with vanilla.

I spied the ladder and trudged over to it, waiting for Zac and Tara to catch up. He sat Tara on her feet, and he stood in front of me. I craned my neck to look at him, and he smiled down at me.

He is my home.

Zac opened the door, and we walked inside. Once again I was speachless of the interior. Beautiful white couch and a small kitchen to the side.

Zac walked into the kitchen and flipped the switch, illuminating the room. He grabbed a bowl from the cupboard and poured an assortment of snack in it, then walked toward Tara's door.