8

y/n POV

You held your breath as you took the first step into the dungeon. You had only been down here one other time as a young girl. You and Hobi snuck down here the day after he had been shown it. You remembered the big key that hung on the hook and the eerie sound of it turning inside the lock. As far as you knew, there wouldn't be anyone inside. The castle dungeon was reserved for prisoners with crimes directly related to the crown or high-profile enemies of the state. You knew you weren't really kept in the loop when it came to kingdom affairs of this nature, but you felt you'd know if a new prisoner was kept in the dungeon.

Although you were almost certain nothing and no one would be locked in the cells, as you took your next few steps in the cold, damp, dark corridor, you heard quiet sniffles to your left. Your head whipped to the side at the sound, and you wondered if you had imagined it, but the longer you stood in the drafty hallway, the more the sounds of someone else's breathing became apparent.

Motionless, you stood. Your eyes pressed together. Should you go back? You were not supposed to know anything about this. Your mind briefly thought that maybe your parents were keeping it from you for your safety.

Bullshit.

You knew it was. They don't care about you more than a farmer cares about the cattle they raise to slaughter. Whatever secret was locked in the cell mere feet from where you stood now was not a secret kept from you with good intentions. Your mind raced, but every function in your body halted when a voice gently rang out.

"Hello?" The voice sounded weak and strained. "Is someone there?"

You swallowed, now feeling a hot wave rush over your skin. For some reason you felt embarrassed that your presence was now known. All of your senses told you to simply turn around and forget this ever happened, but still, you stepped forward.

Your eyes rapidly took in what you saw when you looked into the cell that the beckoning voice came from. There was a girl. The dungeon lighting was dim, only lit by a few clusters of candles dotted down the corridor of cells, but you could make out that the girl was sitting on the floor, legs pulled up to her chest. You couldn't quite see her face, but you could see her dress. Living as a princess all your life, you were very well-versed in fashion and dress styles. You could instantly tell the dress the girl wore was of high quality; almost as nice as your own. The only difference was that the dress she wore was obviously dirty and torn slightly at the bottom.

You could feel her eyes on you, and it frustrated you that you couldn't see her face. You felt speechless but forced yourself to say something. "Who are you?" you asked.

She moved slightly, and her face shifted into a shred of light. She was a pretty girl with long, straight, brown hair that fell over her shoulders. At the moment, it looked a little disheveled, but for someone being kept in a dungeon, you were surprised at how poised she seemed. She held her sharp chin high and looked at you with bright green eyes that screamed curiosity, but also confidence. You were embarrassed to admit it even in your mind, but you felt small under her gaze.

She seemed hesitant to respond. "Who are you?" She retorted.

You were surprised at her response. She spoke with a tone as if you were the one locked in the cell and she was the one with freedom only steps away.

You debated answering her with 'I asked first', but decided to give in. "My names y/n." A simple, yet informational answer. An answer that withheld knowledge yet was honest.