43

Y/n POV

"We have to go!" Jin hissed in a whisper.

Yoongi's grip tightened as Jin shuffled towards the door to the greenhouse. Yoongi pulled you along, but there was a feeling in the bottom of your stomach that caused you to hesitate. You didn't know what it was, you couldn't find a comparing feeling to put it into words, but it simply felt like an urge to pause.

"Y/n, c'mon!" Yoongi begged as your feet dragged slightly.

Jin raced through the door, into the dark greenhouse. Yoongi pulled on your arm enough to make it hurt slightly, but you stopped before the threshold of the door.

"Wait," you said softly.

"Wait for what? A sword to run us through?"

Your eyebrows knit together at Yoongi's words as the footsteps came closer. "Just... a second," you trailed off.

You really didn't know what you were waiting to see. It was almost definitely enemy men coming to capture and kill your group, but for some reason you just needed to see their drawn swords and wielded weapons, just to be sure.

"Y/n!"

Your head shook slightly, and you focused on the other end of the hall, Yoongi still grasping tightly on your hand. Faint shadows appeared on one of the walls and you knew they had arrived.

"Y/n please!" Yoongi's voice was desperate, but the feeling consumed your bones. You needed to wait.

"Just need to see," you whispered.

Then they appeared around the corner. But not the mercenary soldiers you had expected to come and take your lives. No, not enemies, but some of the people you loved most in this world.

Isabella, Taehyung, Noor, Hobi, Jimin, Namjoon, and Esther rounded the corner in a hurry. Your heart fell to your feet and through the floor. The world regained its color and every ache in your bones faded to nothingness.

"I knew it," you smiled uncontrollably and ripped yourself from Yoongi's hold.

"Y/n!" Isabella called from down the corridor.

You took off in a sprint to the other side, crashing into Isabella and Noor's collective hug. Their arms were like the safety of a hundred army's and a million swords. They were shaky, and smelled of smoke and soot, but nothing mattered then. You broke away hurriedly to envelope your younger sister in your arms. She was crying, but you couldn't tell if they were tears of reunion and happiness, or fear and despair.

You had wondered momentarily about the wellbeing of your parents, but when you saw Hobi and the ash smeared on his face, you had other concerns that came before the people that meant little to nothing to you. You stepped out of your hug with Esther but kept her hand firmly in yours. You went up to Hobi and wrapped him in a hug as well.

You had a bad feeling about the question you were about to ask and may soon discover the reason why Esther had so many dried tears on her face. "My parents?" You asked into Hobi's ear as he snaked his arms around your back.

"They didn't make it, y/n."

You sighed and unwrapped your arms from around Hobi. You looked down towards the ground. "I'm so sorry, y/n," Jimin spoke from beside you and put a caring hand on your shoulder.

You swallowed. "They did this to themselves. When you rule carelessly you lose your life the same way."

You heard Esther sniff from behind you and you turned around. "We are the true rulers," you said, straightening your posture. "I will be nothing like my parents were."