2

Y/n POV

You entered. The room seemed to settle in your presence. Guards stopped moving and your parents, who were seated in their thrones, fixed their gazes on you. You straightened your back and walked forward, but what your cloak that wrapped your body did not reveal, was your trembling hands. You had been summoned to meet with your parents before, but with the high tensions between you two for the past month, this time felt different.

As you neared the thrones, you stopped and curtsied and held your position close to the ground. "Rise." Your father's loud voice filled the air.

You stood. "Mother," a quick glance at your mother. "father," an even quicker glance at your father. "what have you called me here today to discuss?"

Your father raised his head and looked you up and down, as if deciding whether you were a worthy opponent or not. You met his gaze.

"How old are you, y/n?" He spoke finally

You resisted the urge to roll your eyes. You hated when he asked you questions you knew he already knew the answer to.

"I am 18."

"And are you wed?"

You narrowed your gaze, your heart rate rising. "Obviously not. But I'm sure you're aware of that, father." You said boldly. You knew when to stay quiet and respectful and when to use your quick wit and challenging tongue. These questions were ammunition, and your father was starting a battle.

"That I am," he straightened position in his chair. "And why are you not wed? You have been of age for quite a while. Most would consider you fair and your status speaks for itself."

You were taken aback by the question. You hesitated for just a moment, though. "None of your suitors have taken a liking to me. And I believe the feeling has always been mutual."

He seemed to not expect your response. He sat back in his kingly throne. "That must change. And very soon."

You turned your head slightly while keeping eye contact with your father. Your lunch that you ate not too long ago churned in your stomach. What did this mean for you? You always expected to get married, and in probably not too long of a time at that, but you still didn't feel ready. You weren't ready to let someone into your heart and be inside theirs's in return. And if love ended up not being in the cards for you, as it was looking to be the case, the tall window in your room seemed more welcoming than ever. You could not bear to have another person in your life who should love you, but simply doesn't.

"And what exactly does that statement mean?" You asked, your voice not as powerful and daring as it was a moment ago.

He looked at you for a moment, thoughts swirling behind his dark eyes. "I have discussed it with both the queen and my council." Your hands rung together under your cloak and you felt a bead of sweat run down the small of your back despite being freezing cold. "We have identified six men worthy of your hand in marriage. In the days to come they will arrive at the castle for a ball. They will stay here, in the castle, for two weeks. Then, you will make your decision. You will be wed by the end of the month."

You swore your heartbeat was almost audible. You listened, but what you heard did not feel real. This was no way to find love. You knew love existed. You felt it when you looked at Esther and Ida. You felt its spark when you looked at Hobi. You could not live the rest of your life not knowing what it felt like to love the man you were wedded to. The man you'd share a bed and life with. The man that would become the father of your children. You felt as though all your blood dropped to your feet.