23

Isabella POV

The entire night had been a mixed rush of excitement, intrigue, laughter, smiles, and fun. So much fun. The most fun I'd had as far back as I can remember. Taehyung had found me right when I walked out onto the palace lawn and whisked me away. First, we sampled every food offered together, both giving too-in-depth-reviews of everything that passed through our lips. It was a recipe for laughs and grins with mouths full of food.

Then, we snuck away for a little while to the palace gardens. We walked side by side down the narrow paths, talking about anything and everything. He was amazing at holding a conversation, constantly wanting to know what I thought about something and never interrupting me when I was making a point for myself. He also wasn't afraid to disagree with me. He was a person who I could tell saw me for me while all my life I had lived in a world occupied by people who only saw me as a princess.

I found relief in the fact that I was not in my own kingdom. Miles and miles away from the southern kingdom I could actually feel like myself. Not like a princess or like the daughter of the king and queen or like the sister of the heir to the throne. Like me. Isabella.

As we both admired the statues that stood in the garden, Taehyung's hand brushed mine. I jumped slightly at the feeling but melted when it happened again, and I knew it was intentional. Soon, the backs of our hands kept their contact and from there, enveloped one another's. It was an innocent display of affection, but sweeter than I ever could have imagined.

After we returned to the party from the gardens, our hands still tightly interlaced, the night sky had grown completely black. Taehyung left for a moment and came back with drinks for the both of us. I sipped it and immediately was taken aback. My face scrunched up and he laughed loudly at my reaction.

"Haven't you ever had alcohol?" he laughed, teasingly.

I blinked. "I've had wine before, but nothing anything like... this." I looked at the drink with wide eyes, only eliciting more chuckles from him.

We sat in front of the people who played music, talking quietly and enjoying the time together. All thoughts I'd harbored about being forced to be here at this castle had disintegrated a long time ago. Once Noor, y/n, and I all became friends, I no longer felt like a hostage. In fact, it made me giggle at the thought that anyone would consider me one.

And now, with Taehyung added to the equation, everything was the opposite of what it was before. So unexpectedly, I loved living here. I didn't want to leave. I didn't have to do any of my princess-ly duties like I did back in my home kingdom, but I still got to wear the pretty gowns. I had friends around every corner, and a handsome, charming, and extra flirtatious man to fill my hours with. It was a dream.

Soon, a man near the lake made an announcement that it was time to collect your candles. Taehyung and I stood, instead of taking each other's hands, linking arms in order to be even closer. His body radiated warmth, so it felt nice to be so close.

I caught a glimpse of a group of people I recognized. I pointed it out to Taehyung, and we walked over. There, Noor and Hobi stood, Noor making eye contact with me first and opened her arms to me. I walked over and happily linked arms with her now, seeing who else was around. I saw Jin, Jimin, and Namjoon were also in the group. I furrowed my eyebrows and turned to the girl I held arms with. "Where's y/n?" I asked quietly.

Noor stiffened and looked around. "She was just here, I swear."

I could see the look of panic in Noor's eyes and I began searching the crowd for her face. Just then, Jungkook joined us. "Jungkook," I started. "Have you seen y/n?"