5

y/n POV

Every conversation with a noble was the same. A polite greeting, a few exchanged questions of courtesy, and a well wish for your marriage. Then onto the next one. After speaking with more people than you could even remember the names of, you found yourself close to the side of the large ballroom, the nearest to the plethora of food that you had been smelling all night. At this point, you were so hungry you felt sick. Your stomach was nauseous even though you knew there was nothing in it to throw up. Your head was light, and you couldn't quite think straight. Your heart raced as you caught a glimpse of the food table.

You blinked lazily and walked over, as to seem unsuspicious. You made sure to look nonchalant as your eyes worked over the different dishes that filled the buffet. Your mouth tingled as you slowly reached your hand over to pick up a small plate.

A quick slap. Your hand stung and you retracted it as you shot up to see who had landed the blow to your wrist. Your mother stood there, regal as ever, with dark and angry eyes. "You're a princess, not a pig," she hissed quietly as to not make a scene.

"Mother, I haven't eaten all day," you said quickly before she could stop you.

She narrowed her eyes. "I don't care if you haven't eaten in a year, you will not stuff your face in front of guests. At your own courting ball, nonetheless." She scoffed and her eyes searched around you, just to be sure no one was listening or caught a glimpse of the two of you bickering. "You just continue to reinforce the fact that you have no dignity or class." Her lips twitched. "How disappointing." Your heart pounded as you wished this conversation would end. Although you knew it was unreasonable for her not to let you eat, you still for some reason felt embarrassed that you wanted to eat at your own ball. "Now," she said. "go find one of those pretty boys and dance with them for god's sake."

You swallowed and debated saying something back, but you knew it would all be in vain. Instead, you turned away from your mother and began walking. Not in any general direction, just away.

The music that filled the hall made your head spin, and your breath felt shallow. "Princess y/n!" You heard a voice. Had you imagined it? You weren't sure until a familiar face appeared in front of you.

Despite your state, a smile came to your lips. "Sir Jungkook," you greeted.

He looked at you with bright and caring eyes. "How has your night been going, princess? I hope you've saved a dance for me!"

You wanted more than anything to respond with a kind and excited answer. You wanted him to take you in his arms and whisk you into the crowd of dancing couples. Your heart ached for a dance with a handsome man, and he was the perfect man to do it with, but you felt too dizzy to do so. "I-I," you stuttered.

"Princess?" His voice was concerned. "Are you alright?"

You lightly brought your palm to your forehead. "I'm fine Sir Jungkook, I just..." You trailed off. "I just think I need some air for a few moments."

He seemed surprised, but also worried. It warmed your heart, but you couldn't even manage to think about that right now. "Of course," he said politely.

You walked away from the man that you so badly wanted to stay with and found yourself at the tall glass doors that lead to the patio. The doors were closed, and the patio seemed empty, so you slid through, hoping no one had noticed the princess momentarily left her own ball. You walked unsteadily to the railing. You leaned on it, resting your head lightly in your hands. The cool air felt amazing on your skin and the sound of the ocean waves crashing below always soothed your soul.