21

y/n POV

The washing and polishing and shining process of you had given you stark reminders of the night of the ball. It was honestly the last time you had really looked the best you could. When you looked in the mirror after a couple of hours in the hands of your attendants, you honestly didn't recognize the person you saw looking back. You stood for a moment, attendants packing up their things and absent mindedly talking quietly to each other behind you, and you really had to double check it was you in the mirror in front of you.

Your eyes that were once puffy and red, swollen from crying for so long, were now normal again. Your lashes accentuated and skin seemingly clear of flaws. Your hair had been brushed and tamed in a pretty way, and your cheeks were now pink with blush instead of sickness or sadness.

The gown you had been dressed in was one you had worn before, but only once and you couldn't remember when. It was a warm gown, chosen particularly because the winter festival was held outdoors. It had long sleeves that ran down passed your hands and flowed behind you as you stood. You had also been layered in a dark cloak for an extra coat of warmth against the winter night air. Your gown was a dark blue color that screamed wealth and privilege. It hadn't made you feel guilty wearing it before, but now it did. It was a gorgeous dress. Breathtaking even. But your mind briefly wondered about the cost of the fabric and jewels that embroidered it. Could it have fed a family in the villages for a week? A month even?

You blinked. In this moment, there was absolutely nothing you could do about it. But it did make you stir inside, restlessly. Your desire to become queen grew. Your craving for power and influence turned inside you like a boiling whirlpool. You would change things once you got your hands on the power you were destined to have. You would pull your kingdom from the darkness and into an age of prosperity. You would do it with the help of your friends. With the aid of Isabella and her brother in the southern kingdom, and with the knowledge and wisdom of the other people you now held dear.

And of course, with the shared power of your husband; whoever he may be. And not only could you use the mind of the one you choose to marry, but you had now made alliances with almost all of your suitors. The sons of the most powerful lords in the kingdom. You knew the relationships you created with your suitors would be important. It made you all the more excited to see them.

Noor came to collect you from the dressing quarters where you had stood in front of the mirror. You walked, side by side down the castle corridor towards the palace lawn where the festival was being held. Similar to the ball that was thrown at the beginning of your courting weeks, lords and ladies and all people of importance from around the kingdom were invited to the winter festival.

The festival was a tradition that had started many years back to give people hope of warmer days to come during the coldest part of the winter. People would come, eat fine food from the castle kitchen, sit by grand bonfires, dancing to folky music played on old instruments, and at the end of the night, all those who attend would receive a small boat like object--more of a floating plate than a boat—with a candle attached. The people would fill small row boats and shove off into the lake in front of the castle lawn, light their candles and place the boats in the water, filling the lake with light and symbolizing thawing of the ice.

It was a sweet ceremony that always gave you joy as a young girl. Seeing the lake light up with hundreds of tiny flames made you flutter with joy every time the time of year came around. But now, it only brought you anxiety. You typically shared your rowboat with only Esther. The two of you would push off and light your candles together, shivering smally yet happily as the water around you started to glow. But you knew what was silently expected from you. The choosing ceremony wasn't until the day after tomorrow, but you were supposed to take one of the men out with you on the lake. Just one. The thought of it made you wring your hands together as you and Noor approached the door to the lawn.