1

A/N

Thanks so much for checking out my book! The first chapter only has a dash of BTS because its a lot of backstory but I promise this is a BTS-centric fanfic!!! It's gonna get real juicy when they show up so just stick with me. Buckle up and I hope you enjoy!!!

Y/n POV

            It was the goosebumps that woke you up that morning. And with that your dream had ended. Fleeting as it was, as it always was, you tried to remember the dream you had just woken up from. It had left you with a warm feeling which not all your dreams did nowadays. Your eyes remained closed as you thought.

A flash. Warm eyes and a sly smile. Then it was gone. It always frustrated you that you could never remember your dreams. But sometimes you knew it was for the best.

Another flash. Dancing and twirling. Fluttering dresses illuminated by candlelight and accompanied by laughter. Then it was gone.

One last, final memory from your sleeping persona. A hand in yours. You couldn't help but smile slightly and shift in your bed. A hand in yours, and a hand on your waist. It felt so nice.

After that scene had also slipped away from your mind's eyes. No more came to warm your cold body that morning. And so, you reluctantly decided to wake.

Light poured in through your chamber's windows, but not the bright, warm, yellow light that spring and summer mornings tend to bring, but the cool toned light that came with the icy air of late in the year. You had opened one of your windows when going to sleep the night before. All of your day prior had been occupied with stuffy rooms with grand, roaring fires forcing their aggressive heat on you. When you retired that night to sleep, you decided to feel the outside air on your skin. You silently thanked the frigid air as it had seemed to have brought you your warm and happy dream. Happy dreams were such a luxury.

The window that stood ajar was tall. It rose from just above the floor high into the air. The tall celling allowed this kind of architecture. Although the window boasted this unnecessarily imposing size, a banister that rose to your chest blocked the opening on the outside. Thankfully or not, this put to rest your late-night thoughts of stepping out of the towering window. Your chambers were on the side of the castle that looked out over the sea. And after a taxing day of being scolded and taught and scowled at, the glacial waves that rolled several hundred feet below didn't seem so terrible.

You blinked these thoughts away and sat up in your bed. Everything around you reminded you that you should not have thoughts like those. Your decadent room and luxurious dresses that hung within it were a constant nudge that your life was nothing to be ungrateful about. To you, it was like all these expensive and outlandish items that filled your everyday life were alive and subtly shaking their heads at you in disapproval because of the ungratefulness that lined these suicidal thoughts.

The crown seems heavy only to those who wear it.

You sat in your bed, under the finest and warmest furs, and thought about the day ahead of you. Not much if you were honest. Class with your tutor, a dress fitting for a new winter gown, and a sudden meeting with your parents which had been called only last night. You parents, the king and queen, were quite meticulous about their schedules so it took you by surprised when a steward had told you of their last-minute summons. But first, you had to make it through breakfast.