38

Isabella POV

Isabella POV

The stables. As we ran, Taehyung, Namjoon, and I, I thought to myself. I debated in my own mind where would be the best chance of escape. The enemy's numbers weren't impressive. If they had more men, they would have been present in the throne room where the royals were going to be killed. They probably have men stationed in the ballroom where guests from the ball were most likely being held, perhaps a few men at the main entrance to the castle. Other than that, I couldn't imagine that their troops were expansive beyond what we've seen.

The stables came to mind. I had been there a few times before. On walks through the castle, and one time to meet Taehyung after dark. My heart ached not knowing what had happened to y/n and Noor, but I knew I wouldn't be able to do anything to help them if I were dead. If I made it out of the castle, out of the kingdom, I could bring help. Help from my family. Help from other lords. This was the way I could help. This was the way I could repay y/n for everything she's done for me. I could aid her in reclaiming what was rightfully her's.

A small group of men were in pursuit of us, but they were older, with less stamina than our prime-aged-bodies. I knew we could outlast them as long as we kept running.

"We should try and make it to the stables," I huffed to Taehyung next to me. He gave me a glance and I continued. "Just beyond the garden, I think it's our best chance for escape."

He clenched his jaw and I could tell he was thinking. "We can't do anything with these guys on our tails," he muttered.

I was confused, but as I watched Taehyung give a curt nod to Namjoon, and them both skid to a halt, I knew they were going to stop running and fight. They were both armed with swords, and so were the four men who were chasing us. I held a sword as well, but I knew I didn't know how to use it. I had also slid a dagger into my boot for insurance, but deep down, in the part of me that was actually honest with myself, I knew I wasn't ready to fight anyone.

The men behind us slowed down just a few yards back and then our two groups were face to face. The men huffed, hot breaths that I knew were laced with hostility. I felt my senses heighten.

I saw the men size us up. It was four against three. But they were soldiers and I was just a girl. One of the men in particular seemed to have his eyes locked on me. I felt small under his gaze and wanted nothing more than to make it stop. He was tall and burly, scruff lining his face and thin lips encasing his nauseating smile. I felt uneasy just looking at him.

The man that kept his gaze on my figure coughed up a smirk and spoke. "You're the southern princess, aren't you?" I swallowed. My status was best kept a secret in situations like these. I was a liability and could be captured and held for many different reasons; some more dangerous than others. He chuckled in response to my silence. "Princess... Isabella? Is it? You're a pretty girl," he said with a gravely voice.