25

y/n POV

The tears on your face had dried by the time the rowboats began returning to the shore. But your aggressive feeling of loneliness, loss, and guilt remained. You left the balcony, feeling like you were stuck in a haze. Nothing felt quite real. You felt numb. You walked sloppily towards the crowd of people walked away from the lake. They all seemed so happy. You should have just gone to the lake. You should have just asked Jin to accompany you in your boat and none of this would have happened.

Luckily, some of the first faces you saw were Noor and Isabella's. Noor had her arm intertwined with Hobi's, and Isabella held Taehyung's hand tightly, but when they saw you, they both left their lovers to meet you.

"Did you go out on the water? I didn't see you?" Isabella asked.

You looked to them, an overwhelming feeling of emotions washing over you. Tears filled your eyes, but you were determined not to cry in front of all the guests. Noor recognized it first, touching you slightly on the arm. "Are you alright, y/n?"

You shook your head slightly, taking in a labored breath. The two girls exchanged glances and left your side for only a moment to exchange words with the men they were with. You hugged yourself with your arms, trying desperately to feel more grounded.

After only a few seconds, Noor and Isabella returned to your side. "C'mon, let's get you inside," Isabella said.

Their supportive arms wrapped around your unsteady waist, the three of you made your way to your chambers. A large fire had been stoked in the fireplace, warming the room. You had to admit you felt better just from getting out of the cold. They helped you change and the three of you slipped under the heavy covers of your large bed. There, the only light in the room the crackling fire, you told your friends what happened.

You cried, but it was okay. You didn't feel embarrassed crying in front of them as you might have in the past. After you finished, they offered words of motivation and reassurance in return. They were both so emotionally intelligent it helped you feel calm. Soon, the three of you fell silent. Wind pushed against your windows and walls from the outside, but it couldn't reach you in here. Your castle protected you and your friends. You all fell asleep wrapped in each other's arms.

***

The next morning was spent lazily, still dancing around the topic that caused tension to hang thickly in the air. As you and Noor shared the seat in front of your vanity, Noor braiding your hair into a half up half down style, Isabella sifted through some of the dresses you kept in your room. "What should we do today?" Isabella thought aloud as she held a dress up to her torso, mentally trying it on.

"How about absolutely nothing?" Noor said as you watched her smile to herself in the mirror.

"Sounds good to me," you added.

So, the three of you decided to do as much of "nothing" as you could. Arm in arm, your trio made its way to the castle kitchen. All the women who worked there knew you well, as you would often come and ask for sweets and goodies.

"Ah ah ah!" One of the ladies you had known since childhood called when she saw you walk in. "No one give the princess any treats! She has a wedding coming up and can't be looking like a powdered donut hole!" She called. You laughed and scoffed, knowing she was only teasing.

When the three of you had taken all your arms could carry, you snuck off to the library and started to fool around. You stuffed your mouths with tasty pastries filled with cream and savory snacks replacing your lunch.

After a couple of hours had passed, you found yourselves stuffed onto the same couch, buried under blankets and warmly listening as Isabella read a book aloud. Novels were strewn across the floor around you as Isabella had started several stories that the group of you had deemed boring. Each of your lips were chapped with sugar and you still occasionally caught each other reaching for a cookie or mini pie, giggling at the sweet tooth you all shared.