14

y/n POV

The night before had left your mind in a whirlwind. Had you done something wrong? Had you scared him away by trying to kiss him? You had thought it all felt so natural—so right. It was confusing. You blamed your frustration slightly on the inexperience you had with romance, dimly wishing you had given the men who had showed up over the years a little more of a chance only so you could be better verse in the language of love. But alas, you were still young, and apparently oblivious to the signs of flirtation.

Yoongi told you himself. He didn't want to see you again. He wasn't going to fall in love with you. And although he told you that you weren't going to fall in love with him, could he control your heart with his words? You told yourself to stop thinking about it or else it would only lead to more tears.

But then you remembered the way he played for you. The way the music filled the ballroom and your heart simultaneously. You remembered the soft way he spoke to you on the walk back to your chambers. How he told you he had missed you. Things just weren't adding up. He was so hot and cold it made your head spin. What were his reservations?

All of these thoughts festered in your brain as your attendants dressed you for the day. That morning Noor had told you that Jungkook had invited you out for horseback riding. You accepted hoping it would take your mind off of the staggering rejection the night before. Jungkook's kind smile sounded like a dream right now, so as you walked out towards the stable, Noor trailing behind you as always, you felt excited, and did find times when your mind didn't linger on Yoongi's lips.

As you turned the corner, you found Jungkook working on two horses, concentrating on looping the various belts properly. "Jungkook." You called out with a smile, making his head turn.

His teeth showed delightfully in a grin. You felt the overwhelming urge to hug him for some reason. He was a safe place to you. But your royalty-washed brain prevented you from doing so.

"Good morning, my princess!" His words like cool water on a burn.

Your heart skipped

Your heart skipped. You were so accustomed to the title "princess" whenever you walked into a room or met a new person or talked to a subject, but never had you been addressed as "my princess". It was so lovely. So sweet. Something stirred in your heart and made you sigh happily.

The handsome boy fiddled with the leather. "I'm not the best at saddling, but I've seen enough people do it to get the jist, I think."

You laughed lightly, eliciting one from him as well. You turned back to Noor, who now leaned up against a wall, Hobi standing in front of her speaking lowly with a smile. She giggled. Your heart ached for just a moment, but then remembered you must be happy for them. Two people you considered your very close friends now felt a connection. You reminded yourself not to be selfish and vain. You couldn't love every man in your life. It just wasn't reasonable or fair.