34

Y/n POV

At Lord Min's words, the archers drew back their arrows, taking their aims. You glanced at Esther. Your little sister. You were supposed to protect her. For the hundredth time in your life you felt useless. Maybe this was for the best. You were not fit to be any kind of queen. You couldn't even protect yourself; how could you protect a kingdom of people?

You looked back to the arrow, imagining it piercing your heart.

You were ready.

You closed your eyes.

You awaited the twang of the string at the release of the arrow.

It was time to rest.

An unexpected sound.

Was it the sound of death?

The sound of an arrow entering your body and stopping your heart?

No.

You were alive.

For better or for worse.

Behind you, the sound of the large doors at the entrance blown open. You watched with anticipating eyes as the archers momentarily lowered their bows, then re-aimed them at the entrance to the throne room. You were no longer in the line of fire. You took a breath but then swung your head to the side, looking over your shoulder. You briefly questioned if you actually were dead. The sight brought forth more tears that you had been fighting back.

Standing at the entrance, a group of people armed with weapons. Except you didn't fear them. The small, armed crowd consisted of your friends. You scanned them. Hobi, dressed in his knights' armor, along with the remaining of your high-ranking knights. They had their swords drawn, in fighting stances.

Standing next to the knights were the only men that had managed to capture your heart in one way or another your whole life. Jin, Namjoon, Jungkook, Jimin, and Taehyung. The group all wielded a variety of weapons, including the two girls you felt closest to in the world. Isabella and Noor stood with them, making eye contact with you, a panicked expression on both girls' faces.

Behind the faces you knew, were a few you didn't but you could tell by the way they dressed, your friends had recruited the help of a few loyal lords. It was a small army, but the numbers were only dimmed slightly by those of the enemy. You didn't want it to come to that, though. Fighting would inevitably result in deaths. You didn't want to lose any of the people you cared about. You couldn't.

Lord Min sighed calmy, as if this appearance was just a slight annoyance in his plans. "Ah, a defiant group of rebels. Unfortunately, there will be no need for your heroics. Soon, there will be a new royal family, and all of you will be rewarded for your allegiance. Drop your weapons and join the new monarchy. Join the winning side."

The ready positions of the knights and your friends didn't waver. There was a moment of silence. Anticipation. Would anyone turn? You wondered what you would feel if you were in their position. It would be so easy to simply choose not to fight. All it would take would a turn of your cheek and the death of some royals. A bad king. An evil queen. Two unnoteworthy princesses. All it would take is their extermination from the world, and your friends could live. You wouldn't blame them if they chose the other side.

But none did. None were seduced by the enticing words of Lord Min. Only then did you see a flicker of anger on the Lord's face. "There is no need for all of you to die," sighed Lord Min, folding his hands behind his back. "Such a waste of youthful life."

A voice spoke up from your friends. One you recognized instantly and gave you a wave of comfort hearing. Jungkook. "You're right. There's no need for anyone to die." Jungkook stepped forward, keeping his gaze on Lord Min with the exception of a half second glance to you. "Revoke the orders you have given, release the royal family, and all can be forgotten."