36

Noor POV

We ran as fast as our feet could carry us. Even then, though, it didn't feel fast enough. I had wanted to stay. I felt compelled beyond all belief to continue to fight even though I could feel all of us collectively getting tired. Two of the knights Hoseok had recruited had been killed by Lord Min's men. As far as I could tell no one else on our side had been struck down.

From the corner of my eye I had seen Yoongi grab y/n. I turned to go to her and rip her from his traitorous grasp, but I had taken my eye off of the enemy I was fighting and paid for it with a slash to my right cheek. It burned as my attention was drawn back to my attacker. I felt hot blood drip down my cheek and as I swung my sword viciously, slicing the man across his torso. It perhaps wasn't a lethal wound I had given him, but it was enough.

I looked back to the spot where y/n just was, but now she was gone. All there was in her place was Jungkook's lying body. I swallowed the pain that swelled inside me. I didn't know Jungkook very well, but he was the type of person that you didn't have to know well to love. There wasn't any spare time for tears, but the raw and sharp emotion that raged through me at the sight of his demise still burned in my stomach. That's when I felt Hoseok's hand wrap tightly around my arm.

"We have to go!" He yelled over the sound of fighting in the room.

I ignored him and shook myself away from his hold, steadying myself to face another enemy, but he pulled me by my arm once again. I wanted so bad to stay and fight, but his grasp was firm and unrelenting, and I knew our forces were exhausted. And suddenly we were trying our hardest to get away from the fight instead of to it.

Hoseok yelled for everyone's retreat, and our numbers began to fight their way towards the door. I watched as another one of the lords fighting on our side was impaled by a sword. I had been around swords and blood and death my whole life as a mercenary, but this was real shit. I wasn't watching street rats who didn't pay their debts be killed in an alley way anymore. This was a royal coup and good people who actually mattered were being slaughtered like sheep.

I made it to the door, Hoseok's fingers still wrapped tightly around my upper arm. I watched as Jimin ran to the still kneeling king, queen, and young princess. He helped them stand and looked around frantically for a way to escape. I stood in horror as I watched a man with a raised sword approach Jimin.

Violently, I ripped myself out of Hoseok's hold and ran to the group. As the enemy's sword came down towards Jimin, I blocked it with my own. With my retaliatory strike, he fell to the ground. I glanced at Jimin, who gave me a breathless half smile.

Hoseok shouted my name from across the room. Quickly, I turned to the royal family. "Let's go," was all I had to say before we all started for the doorway.

That is how we found ourselves running down the castle corridor. Enemy men were chasing us, but what did we expect? Only a few attackers followed our footsteps, but it was enough for Hoseok to call over to Taehyung who ran next to him. "We need to split up! Thin out their forces!"

I watched as Taehyung gave a curt nod to him and wrapped his arm around Isabella's waist. She let out a yelp as he peeled off into a perpendicular hallway. "Isabella!" I yelled after them, but they were already running in a different direction. Namjoon had also decided at the last second to turn down their hallway. I watched with worried eyes as the three took off. I prayed it wouldn't be the last time I saw them.

Hoseok's plan had worked, though, and half of the men running after us began their pursuit of Taehyung and Isabella, dwindling their numbers. I looked around me as my feet hit the castle floors rapidly. Hoseok led the group, his knights amor seeming heavy on his body but probably had protected him a few times already. Jimin also stuck with us. I glanced and saw that his hand was intertwined with Esther's so she wouldn't fall behind. The king and queen were also with us, running in their expensive outfits and shoes that were most definitely not made for movement like this.

I knew where almost all of our people were:

Taehyung, Namjoon, and Isabella running in a different wing of the castle.

Hoseok, Jimin, the royals, and I were being chased by enemy men here.

Yoongi had taken y/n, possibly capturing her to take to his father.

But where was Jin? The one person I hadn't kept tabs on during the fight.

I shook away the consideration that he may have been killed. I couldn't bear the thought of losing another friend, and that's why anxiety coursed through me at incredible speeds. I thought of y/n. I wanted to call out to Hoseok to tell him that we needed to go back. We needed to save y/n from the Mins. But I knew that would be our absolute demise. The only way to live was to escape the castle. We had to get the other members of the royal family out of harm's way as soon as possible. Especially Esther. I knew that's what y/n would've wanted.

So, we ran. I knew we would most likely have to fight again, but with Hoseok and Jimin at my side I knew we stood a chance.

My worries didn't lie with the uncertainty of my own fate, but with the fate of my friends. We were now split up, scattered around the castle that had once provided sanctuary but now only offered threats. It felt like around every corner someone wanted to kill us. It was us versus the world.

And I knew Isabella and Y/n, wherever the hell they were, felt the same way.