19

Noor's POV

It was the morning of the winter festival. I just finished dressing myself in the same dull attendant's dress I had been stuck wearing for the past couple weeks. I loved seeing y/n and Isabella wear their pretty gowns, but how I longed to get back into something that I was comfortable in. I know I didn't like the frills and ribbons of fancy dresses as much as my friends, but I still enjoyed wearing clothes that made me feel good about myself. The attendant's dress was frumpy and faded. It reminded me of a burlap sack in a way.

My muscles also seemed to ache as of late. Before I accepted the job of being Princess y/n's undercover mercenary, I trained almost every day to keep myself and my skills sharp. But now all I do all day is follow y/n and Isabella, talk with Hoseok, and snack on the palace pastries. It was a charmed life that I could definitely get used to, but it was just different.

My fingers got that familiar fatigue as I braided my hair in a new way for the festivities later today. Once I finished, there was a quiet knock at my door.

"Come in!" I called from my chair in front of my vanity.

In the reflection of my mirror, I saw Hoseok's face peer in. His smile lit up when we made eye contact through the reflection. I whipped my head around with a grin. "What are you doing here?" I asked as I stood. He sighed and shut the door behind him. "Shouldn't you be with y/n?"

His teeth showed as he drew closer to me. "Isabella's with her, don't worry."

I was relieved. Ever since the accident I had been having more intense anxiety. Mainly because y/n, who I now cared about deeply as a friend, always seemed to be in danger. There were probably other triggers for the anxiety I had always fought, but that was just the most prominent at the moment. Maybe it also fed off the fact that I was self-conscious in this ugly dress. But for whatever reason, Hoseok always made my bad feelings subside.

Hoseok and I had gotten closer than I had ever imagined. With all the time we spent together, it was inevitable we would become friends, but what I never expected was to become something more than that. He was my safe place. I hadn't known him for very long, but everything felt so right with him. Like he completely understood everything I had to say. He listened to me when I spoke, and I did the same for him. We both had so much to say. We thought the same things were funny so we would always end up making each other laugh, and we were both interested in similar things, making way for long and engaging conversations that would keep us up much later than we should.

Growing up, it isn't hard to imagine that not many of the boys around would swoon over the girl that could beat them in a sword fight any day. So, I hadn't really ever been on the receiving side of romantic affection, but Hoseok understood me. He seemed to like the fact that I could fight well. And on the rare occasion that I did get to train in the castle courtyard or in the knight's armory, I could always feel his impressed eyes scanning over me. Watching me. And after, he would always shower me with praise and words of affirmation. More recently, though, he started showering me with kisses too.

"Is it appropriate for you to be here, alone with me in my room?" I asked with a small smirk. "Will my reputation as a lady be ruined if we're caught?" I raised my chin. He knew I was teasing him, but it was half a serious question. People were so judgmental when it came to what was "proper" and what wasn't.

He tilted his head playfully and reached out his arms. He ran the fingertips of both his hands up and down my arms affectionately, making goosebumps spread across my skin and coaxing a giggle out of me. His smile melted my heart.

"I don't really care whether it's appropriate or not," he said with a funny voice. "I just wanted to see you."

His presence never seemed to fail to give me butterflies. He was handsome, chiseled, and brighter than a star. The way he looked in his knight's uniform made my stomach twist and always brought a pink blush to my cheeks. I could look at him forever. He was so perfect to me.

He took another step forward and ran a finger down my cheek, trailing all the way down to my braid that hung over my shoulder. He took the lock of hair in his hand. His face was more serious and a touch curious. His grin no longer playing on his lips. "You changed your hair?"

I couldn't read his tone immediately and suddenly felt panic that maybe he wouldn't like it. My face fell. "You don't like it, do you?" I asked, suddenly feeling that familiar sensation of self-consciousness. I moved away from him slightly, but he grabbed my waist and pulled me in close, our bodies now pressed together.

His eyes met mine with raised eyebrows, instantly realizing that he made me doubt myself. He smiled brightly with apologetic eyes. "No, no, I love it. You just look so beautiful I feel like I don't deserve you."

Once again, my heart turned into a puddle within me. He was too kind to me. Like a ray of sunshine in a dark, dismal place. "I feel like I'm the one that doesn't deserve you!" I replied, placing my hands on his chest.

With a small upward prick of his lips, he leaned into me. I prepared myself for one of his breathtaking kisses, but instead was met with the unique sensation of pecks on my neck. In between his soft kisses, he spoke sweet words. "You definitely deserve me. And I'll be right next to you as long as you'll have me."

"Keep kissing me like this and I'll have you forever, Hoseok."

He chuckled into the crook of my neck and kept pressing soft, much appreciated kisses. His hands roamed my waist and hips, sending shivers down my back. He made me feel like no one had ever made me feel before. I wanted to always be near him. I wasn't sure if soulmates or destiny were real, but if they were, he would be the closest I think I'll ever get.

I sighed when his lips reached my shoulder. He pulled back and I instantly missed his touch. Suddenly, though, his face turned from enamored to concerned. "Oh, I forgot," he started, looking down at me. "Isabella said you should come to the hall where y/n is staying sooner than later."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Is something wrong?" Concern flooded my veins.

He looked troubled as well now that the topic came up. "I only popped in for a moment, but y/n seemed upset this morning. Isabella pulled me aside and said she had been crying but wouldn't tell her why. I'm a little worried about her, Noor. She's usually so bright especially whenever I'm with her. She's one of my closest friends. I'm afraid that this whole 'suitors' thing is really taking a toll on her."

I bit my lip. "I wonder if something happened with one of the boys..." I thought aloud. "Y/n was against the idea of entertaining suitors since the beginning, but if she actually developed feelings for one of them and something went wrong, I'm sure anyone would be pretty upset about it."

Hoseok sighed. "I can't imagine the position she's been thrown into. She deserved to find love on her own, not to be forced into it." His gaze was distant, but then he looked down to meet my eyes, his worried look melting into a sad smile. "But if none of this had happened, I would have never gotten the chance to meet you, Noor." His hand found my cheek again. I loved the way he was so doting, always wanting to be touching me. I drank it all in.

"I just hope nothing too bad has happened. With the choosing ceremony in just a couple of days, she should be making her decision to herself at least pretty soon. I don't know what I would do if I were her. I don't know if I would be able to handle this all." I sighed.

I could feel my anxiety rising, and Hoseok seemed to recognize that. He pulled me close into a hug. "I'm sure everything's fine," he cooed. "As much as I hate giving up alone time with you, y/n needs her friends right now. You should go."

My nerves calmed at his words. He had such a skill at making me feel safe, loved, and at ease. "Thank you, Hoseok." I nuzzled my head into his chest for just a moment longer before I released him and made my way for the door.

"I'll see you at the festival tonight?" He called after me.

"Of course! We should keep an extra eye out for the princess, but try and manage to save me a dance, will you?"

He laughed musically. "You're the only one I want to dance with, Noor."

And with his honeyed words that remained sweet on my tongue, I made my way to Isabella and y/n. My friends