31

y/n POV

It was taking longer than you thought it would for one of the attendants to come and retrieve you from the waiting room. You cursed them for taking their time as it only gave you more minutes to sit and think and boil your anxiety on a high heat. You had shut the tall window after the icy wind froze your lace covered arms, giving you goosebumps and making you even more nauseous than you already felt. You had sat down on the couch next to the fire, and waited for a long while, but as the flames became smaller and no one had come to stoke it, you began to worry something had happened.

You lazily looked over your shoulder towards the window again. A second ago, you had thought you had heard horns from outside, but just brushed it off as the wind. But then you heard it again. You furrowed your eyebrows and stood, making your way to a different window on a different wall. This one faced the beach and the side of the castle. Walking over, your confusion grew at the sight that unfolded in front of you. A large group of people were riding in on horses, stopping at the castle wall where the gate was located.

Your eyes squinted. You knew lords and ladies from around the kingdom were coming to attend the choosing ceremony and the party afterward, but this herd of men on horses didn't seem like party guests. They wore armor and carried swords at their sides. You didn't recognize the colors they wore, so you concluded that they weren't your own soldiers. It was dark out, but they carried torches, lighting up their party.

You pushed open the window you looked out of and stuck your head out a little farther, hoping to get a better view. That's when you saw some of the men in the front of the brigade begin to fight the castle soldiers that guarded the gate. You gasped quietly, pulling your head back inside and shutting the window.

Although you had slammed the window shut in fear, you continued to watch the scene. The men on horses took out the guards with ease, pulling up the gate and filing onto the grounds in organized pairs. Their formation remarkably resembled that of an army. You gulped and stepped back from the window. Was the castle under attack? Who were these men and who did they fight for? All you knew is that intruders had successfully entered the castle.

You had to tell someone what you saw, so your feet found themselves walking towards the door, but before you could get halfway across the room, there was a knock. Finally, you thought. Someone to retrieve me.

"Come in!" you called, ready to inquire to whatever attendant about what exactly was happening.

But to your complete and utter dismay, the person who opened the door and slid inside the room was not an attendant. "Yoongi?" your voice sounded small and not your own. You couldn't help but feel a rush of emotion race through your entire being. "What are you doing here?" He didn't speak, nor did he come any closer than just inside the now closed door. One of the overpowering emotions you felt that confused your mind and body was anger, red hot, searing anger. You turned away from him, vexed with his silence. "Leave, Yoongi. I don't want to see you."

You looked down into the fireplace and saw in your peripherals that he took a quiet step towards you. He seemed to want to keep his distance, though. "Y/n," he said softly, in his voice that always managed to pull you back in. "You look beautiful."

You glanced down with just your eyes, remembering you were all prettied up for the ceremony, but you tried to seem unaffected by his comment. You pretended that it only made you angrier, when in fact it stung your heart with aches of longing. You turned to him, trying to make your unpleased scowl as obvious as possible in the dim lighting.

"Don't say that to me. Don't do that again. I'm done being teased, Yoongi." You approached him as you scolded. His eyes seemed evasive, and as you walked towards him in the dimly lit room, the candlelight caught his face just enough for you to see him clearly. "I told you I don't want to see you so just leave me—" you stopped, interrupted by your own realization.