long live the King and Queen - chapter 12

Mikael had lead the immortal duo across the Quarter and to Algiers. Astrid had grown tense in their journey, a sudden remembrance of her life before Nik and how she felt about the other people in her life like Cami.

Flashback.
2 years ago.

Astrid knocked back the remnants of her Irish whiskey after a long night and looked around the bar. Low chatter echoed throughout the four walls and the warmth that radiated in the room wrapped around her like a blanket and she sighed contently. A blonde caught her eye, sat in the corner with her nose in a book.

Astrid always did like to observe. To the mundane, Mrs. Mikaelson was simply a friendly face and a good laugh and she loved the idea of having a break from the supernatural. She didn't recognise this blonde bookworm and it intrigued her. They looked like polar opposites, she wore a floral dress and Astrid sat there in leather but she walked over anyway with the idea of being her friend.

'You're new.' She smiled as she sat down in front of the new girl. Cami looked up with a start and smiled at the friendly face, 'How can you tell?' she asked with bright eyes and Astrid secretly took a sigh of relief. 'Well, no one in this city comes to Rosseau's bar and reads.' She joked with a raised eyebrow and Cami shut her book and crossed her arms, mimicking Astrid's actions with a smirk.

'I'm actually doing a degree.' She stated proudly and Astrid got even more interested, 'A degree? You're definitely an interesting character.. what exactly brings you to New Orleans?'

'I followed my Uncle here. Uncle Kieran.' She seemed shaded and Astrid noticed but didn't want to press her. 'Wait... Father Kieran? St. Anne's Church?'

Cami smiled at this and seem surprised that Astrid knew him, 'Yeah! That's my Uncle'

'No bloody way.' Astrid cursed and the blonde frowned, 'You know, you don't sound like you're from here either.' She pointed a finger in Astrid's direction and the hybrid sighed, 'I've been here, there and everywhere but it's New Orleans where I feel most at home.'

Cami stated, 'You must have a lot of stories to tell then' and Astrid laughed, 'You could say that.' Silence fell over the two and Cami eventually stuck a hand out, 'Camille O'Connell, but call me Cami.'

'Astrid,' she stated smugly and shook her hand which provoked Cami to ask, 'You don't have a last name?' with a giggle and Astrid shot back instantly.

'I guess that's one of my many stories.'

Flashback over.
Present day.

'You alright love?' Nik asked quietly when he felt Astrid slow down. 'Just thinking about greener pastures.. and all the different ways I'm going to murder Mikael. You'd think I'd know how I would want to by now, considering I've wanted to cut him in half for a millennia.'

'You aren't okay are you?' Nik paused and spun her around. She tried to act normal and he saw right through it, 'You're rambling, darling.'

'I'm facing the man who strung me up on a cross and stabbed me in the stomach a century ago.. side by side with a husband that five years ago thought I was dead.' The words came out quickly and all at once, a spew of emotion flew out of her mouth and her words cut at her lips like thorned vines. 'Even for me it's a bit too much to process.'

'I know, love. I know.' He brushed her hair back and she shook her head, 'Uh uh, no. We can have a romantic mushy heart to heart when we get back tonight with our bones not turned to ash. Right now what I want to do is march in there, save my blonde bartender slash therapist friend and brutally murder your step dad, sound good?'

Nik laughed at her determination and nodded, 'Come on then, love. You're right.' He kissed her cheek and she grinned, 'I'm always right.'

The pair began to walk again with Klaus's arm around her shoulder and he sighed, 'I realised the other day that Bonnie isn't the only witch I know.'