wouldn't you say, jack? - chapter 34

Astrid Mikaelson never liked to think of herself as the villain.

But then again, that's what made her like everyone else. Even her most masochistic moment could provoke that voice in her head. Some say that's what makes her more sadistic then Niklaus, when she's fighting you she's also fighting herself. What the hybrid could never grasp is why Elijah and the rest of the family treated her differently to Nik when they were each other's mirror image.

She never blamed Klaus for the way she thought but then again she never admitted that she thought like that. It would take for her to have a heart in her hand to see even the slightest glimpse of what ran through that magnificent mind of hers. Sebastian coming back reminded her of a part of herself that she thought she kept locked away most days, a part that she had locked up when her sister returned. She didn't have time to explore her own mind though.

She had to keep her family in check. Just like Elijah had too.

The Tremé.

Rebekah collapsed on the floor whilst the witch still inflicted her with immeasurable pain until Marcel became her saving grace. He jumped down from a rooftop and disarmed the witches, subduing then before running over to her, 'There's more of them on the way, we should probably go.'

Rebekah stood frozen, remembering that she never actually did tell Marcel that she had inhabited that body. 'Rebekah!' Marcel shouted and snapped a finger in her face. 'How did you know?' She asked before he grabbed her by the waist, 'Can we talk about that later? We don't have all day!'

Mikaelson Compound.

Jackson, Astrid, Hayley and Klaus were discussing strategy in the study. News had eventually got back to them that Finn's body had disappeared from the Arkansas Morgue and that him, along with Freya had returned to the city.

'It's time to use our werewolf army. Finn and the woman who calls herself my sister are in this city. The wolves can help us pinpoint their location.'

Her husband's persona had returned. She sat on the sofa next to Klaus who was on the arm rest and facing the newly married couple, who mirrored them. He had her hand in his lap, his wedding ring pressing into her floral one. Astrid felt somewhat stuck in her own head, just as they thought their enemies had been vanquished; more had returned.

'No, we need all hands on deck here with Hope. I think you can compel humans to track your enemies.'

Hayley noticed the twitch in Astrid's eye at Jackson's words and fidgeted in her seat. Because of Astrid's ties to the Crescent Pack, she never liked loosing her temper with them - even Oliver but something was digging at her.

The little voice in her head was nagging at her again, telling her to put the wolf in his place. This wasn't the time for "whiny little wolves" to kick up a fuss. 'Do my ears deceive me? Or did you just give me an order? In my own home?' Klaus spoke her thoughts and it relaxed the knots forming in her shoulders. The grip he had on her hand grew tighter and she finally made eye contact with Jackson, who was entirely oblivious.

'This ain't about your ego, Klaus! It's about what's best for that little girl.'

'How dare you question my intentions for my daughter!' Nik snapped and Astrid had enough, 'Considering Nik is Hope's father, I think doing what's best for that girl would be quite high on his priority list wouldn't you say, Jack?'

Astrid's tone sent a shiver down Jack's spine as he turned to her. Her eyes stayed on him, the tension rising in the room as Hayley and Klaus looked between the two. Hayley wondered if Astrid had ever had shared Alpha responsibilities with the Crescents. She knew that Klaus wasn't going to break the tension between the two so she did.