saw scaled viper - chapter 26

'You pretty much just condemned him to death and you have nothing to say.'

Davina kept her arms crossed as she walked along side Astrid to her apartment to get Deryn and Elysium. 'I'm not arguing with you, Davina.' Astrid kept her eyes straight ahead and her arms by her side. Niklaus walked marginally ahead but kept an ear on the conversation.

'Why not? Because you know I'm right?'

Astrid rolled her eyes at Davina's attitude and the witch didn't like that, 'You can roll your eyes at me all you want but I'm not changing my mind. You call yourselves family but you betray each other all the time.' Nik's shoulders hunched as Astrid stopped on the pavement. Davina stopped too and turned round to face her, suddenly nervous.

'What you need to understand Davina is that this family have been around for a thousand years and that includes your little boyfriend.' She spoke whilst looking directly at her and the young witch recognised the look. 'I know that things have changed Davina I really do but I am not Marcel. I am at least 8 times his age and when thats a playing factor the rule book changes.'

Davina only looked solemn and marginally guilty as she held eye contact with her mother figure and Nik stayed silent. 'D I really don't want to argue with you about this, you know I love you but you picked the one Mikaelson who has screwed this family over more times then days you've been on this Earth.'

'I just don't want him to get hurt.'

Klaus rose an eyebrow at how easily Davina faltered in the face of his wife. 'I know love. Lets just get to the apartment and we can sort everything out.' As if on que, Astrid's phone went off and she answered quickly. 'Deryn? What's wrong?' Her tone was violent and full of concern. 'I'm fine, sister but Elysium is offering to do a locator spell to help find Finn.' Astrid contemplated for a moment before looking at Davina, 'You said your supplies are at the church right? Go there now and meet Elysium.'

'Where are you going to be?' Davina asked and Astrid looked at her husband, 'We're going to do some searching whilst you prepare. It's better that we look around. Do everything we possibly can.'

'Deryn go to St. Ann's so Elysium and Davina can prepare for the spell. I'll meet you there.' Astrid hung up and the group parted. Nik smirked at his wife and she looked up at him with a raised eyebrow, 'What?'

'Your maternal gene is showing again.'

'Shut it.' She smiled and pulled him along.

Daulphine Street.

'How come all of these people have let you in their homes?' Klaus asked Astrid curiously as they paced the streets, their search for Finn being unsuccessful. When Astrid only tilted her head in confusion, he explained further.

'Since I came back, I've noticed the amount of humans that smile at you or say hi when we're out and now you're being allowed into people's houses. How do so many people know you?'

Klaus was thinking back to darker times. He recalled that fateful night in 1919 and how Mikael threatened to stay in New Orleans until every person who spoke Nik's name positively had died. He couldn't help but compare that to his wife's current status. Astrid smiled to herself, 'It's something that Marcel and I decided when we rebuilt the city. Kindness goes along way when you're hiding a supernatural community.'

Nik chuckled, 'Ah. So all in the name of keeping everything under wraps.' She shrugged, 'Not all in the name of that. I mean think about it.' She gestured between him and herself, 'We have centuries to smile. Centuries to do whatever we please. The locals only have 100 years at most and even then that's a give or take if they don't get taken out earlier or a disease like cancer gets to them... If I can be behind a smile of theirs then I'm happy.'