lord and lady count de guise - chapter 27

Flashback.
1001.

It had been a long day for the Mikaelsons. Hiding under different names in a castle full of humans was a task within itself when they were only just learning how to control their hunger. Count De Martel had graciously accepted them into his home under the impression that they were the children and daughter in law of the Count De Guise. Astrid had spent her day as she typically would, apart from the fact that she would forever be aggravated by the amount of men on the grounds who would ask if she needed help when she was practicing her archery. She never did like the saying "weapons aren't things meant for girls."

She found solace with Rebekah in that light.

Astrid also found aggravation with the Count De Martel's youngest child, Sebastian. On that particular day, Niklaus's absence had been noticeable to the young lord so he stayed hot on her tail since breakfast. Sebastian would follow her around. A good example of his persistence would be him trying to show her how to stretch the bow back properly when Niklaus had already shown her. Even though she didn't need anyone to show her at all.

No matter what the Mikaelsons did, even when Finn stepped in as the eldest brother and protected Astrid he simply wouldn't stop. Astrid and Finn's relationship was never honestly discussed in the way Elijah's was but it was a tight bond, they would protect each other by any means necessary.

Astrid yawned as she returned to the quarters she shared with Niklaus and couldn't help but feel elegant in the silk gown she had been given by the Count as a welcoming present. It wasn't the first piece of burgundy she had worn but it sparked her love for the colour and material. It was a wide neckline with gold accents and a corset fitted torso and she walked, the dress sprawled out behind her.

She pushed the wooden door open and Nik jumped up making her put her hands up in surrender, the silk on her arms reflecting off of the candle light. 'It's just me, Nik.' She smiled until she saw the shaken look in his eye. He was sitting on their bed, hunched over and spinning one of the daggers round in his hands. His long golden hair hung around him. 'Nik? What's wrong?' She shut the door behind her gently and paced over, kneeling in front of him on her right knee and she held his face. The dress she was wearing had ties to her fingers and Nik felt the material brush against his cheek - he felt comfort from it.

When he finally made eye contact with her, her heart broke at his deadened eyes as it was a look she hoped she'd never see again. Klaus still played with the dagger in his hand as they stared at each other and she noticed. Looking down at the silver object, she quaintly took it from him and placed it behind the two as she sat next to him and he automatically fell into her.

As he leant into her side, she kicked her pumps off and got onto the bed properly, her legs sprawled over his as she ran a hand through his hair. 'You're alright, love. You're alright.' She kissed the top of his head and the couple were still for a moment until the door opened. Astrid's head snapped up and she met eyes with Lucien Castle. 'The Lord Sebastian is requesting your presence, M'lady Astrid.'

'You can tell him that I'm with my husband, Lucien.'

'But-'

'Don't make me repeat myself.' She snapped and he nodded his head, leaving abruptly. Once the human was out of earshot, Nik spoke up, 'I daggered Finn.'

It was merely a whisper but she heard it all the same. Her heart dropped through the castle levels and her breath hitched in her throat. 'Why?' Her tone had changed and Nik noticed straight away, feeling worse with the idea of upsetting his new wife. When he didn't answer, she pulled his face up to make eye contact with her and she asked again.

'Why?'

His nose scrunched up in frustration and he stood up abruptly, his back facing her. 'We fought today. That village girl he's been fawning over, Sage. He plans to leave us to be with her.' Astrid and Niklaus saw eye to eye on most things but this was the first time since they ran that they argued. 'If he's in love Nik then he's in love. Why should we get in the way of that?'