her fathers daughter - chapter 16

'Mother? What happened?'

Finn ran into the tomb where his mother laid still and crouched down to her level, 'Niklaus and Astrid refused my offer. Still burdened with hatred for me and what I done to his child. Rosaline is going to kill me.'

'They're fools! . Your actions saved this family! If that child had lived--'

'Dahlia would return, and she would come for us all.'

The Mikaelson Compound.

'I haven't seen this since I was a child. Mikael would return home from battle more blindly temperamental than usual, and our mother would use the petals of a rare merlock orchid to put him to sleep. She would mend his mind with a spell, and then wake him with the roots of the same plant.'

Hayley had entered Elijah's room when she overheard Niklaus and Astrid discussing their options, their plan to get Deryn went wrong so balancing options was a difficult task.

'If she has access to it now, then maybe it also grows in the Bayou. You stay here with your wolves and mind the fort.' Klaus instructed Hayley and Astrid spoke up, 'I need to get Deryn out of the cemetery too. We refused Esther's offer and if she's going to take her anger out on anyone it'll be her.'

'I'd rather rip your mother's head off.' Hayley snarled and turned to Astrid, 'And yours too.'

Astrid found her comment amusing, a snigger escaped her lips as she sat cross legged at Elijah's side but Nik didn't appreciate her defiance, 'Stay clear of her. I mean it, Hayley. She already got to you once. What would happen if Elijah were to wake and find you a victim of her madness?'

'I won't go after her. I promise.' Hayley gave in again and Klaus smiled before leaving. Astrid looked down at Elijah and rested her hand on his, 'He's taking charge again, 'Lijah. Lets hope you wake up soon.'

She turned around and scooted off the bed, 'You should rest, Hayley. A war is brewing.' Astrid went to walk out but Hayley stopped her, 'Astrid.'

'Yeah?'

'I was at the cemetery earlier, Esther kidnapped Ollie too and I managed to save him but..' Hayley trailed off and Astrid stepped back into the room properly, 'What happened?'

'Ollie's dead, Astrid.' The hybrid wife hung her head and gulped before looking back at Hayley with tearful eyes, 'Where's Jackson?'

The Lycée.

'Astrid, Esther isn't here.' Rosaline sensed her daughter near and looked up from her herbal mixture. Astrid stepped through the door in the pitch black, candles being their only light source. 'You've angered her immensely. Why won't you take her offer, daughter?'

Astrid rolled up the sleeves of her black shirt, the one she wore in preparation for Oliver's funeral as she spoke, 'Why do I have to keep explaining myself?'

'I never wanted things to go this far, Astrid. When Esther told me of her plans I thought that we could be a family again but now I see that not one but both of my daughters disagree. I'm surprised at Deryn's choice honestly.. considering things. You want your sister back don't you?' Rosaline leant against the old table on her elbows and rested her head on her hand. Astrid neared closer with a tight grip on Elysium's powder and Rosaline carried on, 'I should've known this would be difficult. A thousand years apart and yet you two are still thick as thieves. At least, she thinks that anyway.'

'What does that mean?' Astrid had reached the table by now and stood in front of her mother. 'Esther was so enraged by your refusal.' Rosaline had a sad smile on her face, 'So like a true Mikaelson, she got her revenge.'