a royal demon - chapter 42

Dahlia waved her arms and brought a large group of humans forward. They were under her control, as if they were a necromancer's soldiers and they surrounded the three. The church went silent, you could hear the witches steps as she awaited the fight and Mikael looked around at his successors.

'We are well-met. So be it. Are you ready?'

Astrid sized up her opponents with a smile that mimicked her husband and Klaus replied to his step father, 'I was born ready.' Mikael turned to Astrid, 'How about you, wolf?' Astrid looked at him quickly before catching the eye of one of the soldiers. 'I've been waiting for this all day.'

The soldier she caught the eye of smirked at her and she chuckled, 'You wanna try and kill us, Dahlia?! Come on then. Have at it!' She hissed as her fangs grew from her gums and her eyes turned yellow, Klaus done the same and Mikael's vampiric face grew through as Astrid ran at the guy who was taunting her and ripped his heart out. As she dug through them with ease, a woman jumped on her from behind and Nik pulled her off of his wife before ripping into her neck and Astrid done the same to a man who tried creeping up on Nik.

In the blood fuelled high, Astrid was taken by surprise when she got thrown upwards into the top level of the church. Upon impact she went crashing down to the flooring and as she stood up, the same human used a pain infliction spell on all three of them, bringing them down to their knees. Dahlia chuckled, 'I should have warned you! My acolytes are rather formidable. I gifted them with a fraction of my own power... to help level the playing field.'

Astrid snapped the neck of the magic enhanced human and they were winning again. She practically ate her way through the crowd until they were standing on top of a pile of bodies. Quickly joining Nik's side, she stared at Dahlia smug but the witch only smiled,  'Quite the operatic performance... though that is the thing with these grand tragedies. In the end, all the heroes...' she twisted her hand and every muscle in Astrid's body contracted, 'die.'

'Nik.' Astrid murmured, not being able to speak any louder because of how tight her body had become. Klaus was feeling it too and eventually the immortals dropped to their knees and grey veins started growing up their bodies. Astrid was panicking, the knife that Davina had spelled was dropped by Mikael and sat in the middle of them and Dahlia and Astrid struggled to crawl toward it. Klaus was reaching toward it too, Dahlia was running on adrenaline as she walked toward Klaus and stomped on his wrist. 'You struggle with such passion. All in defense of the ones you love... an honorable quality... one I had not anticipated, given the reputation which precedes you.' With a flick of her hand, Klaus went flying back down the isle of the church and knocked out cold - gaining a cut from the fall.

She looked at Astrid next, 'Unlike your wife however.' Her face was contorted in anger and determination as she growled and Dahlia smiled, 'Oh no no, you my girl are known for your loyalty.' She took her face in her hands and Astrid tried struggling but it was no use, 'That would've been a trait that could've served me well... had you not taken what is owed to me.' Dahlia began another spell and the hybrid's teeth began forcefully growing from her gums as she cried out in pain.

'Enough!' Freya came through the door and Dahlia was clearly surprised to see her. The witch stood up again, collecting herself before frowning, 'My Freya... you do realize that this so-called family of yours is simply using you for your power?' Astrid dropped to the floor as she released her and Mikael from her spells and her mind instantly travelled to Klaus.

'No. You're the one that used me for a 1,000 years!' Freya screamed, 'No more!' Astrid gained enough strength like Mikael had and ran to the back of the church. 'Nik!' She whispered and knelt down beside him. Looping an arm around his neck, she hoisted him up and he stirred as she held her wrist up to his mouth and his fangs eventually latched on. His eyes burst open and he stared at her as he drunk her blood. She could see that he felt defeated.