the wildest children in the village - chapter 14 part 2

The bitter wind bit at Astrid's nose as she followed her mother out to the back of the mansion. Even looking at her mother felt sickening, all she could see was Deryn's face staring back at her. 'Why did you have to come back in Deryn's body? She doesn't deserve this and you know it.' Astrid decided to be honest with her.

'I watched you too, it wasn't just your sister. I watched as you disowned your name, you adopted the Mikaelson nature and I thought out of anyone you would trust your sister. When Esther pulled me into the ancestral realm she said that the only way I could come back was through your sister anyway.'

'Was I ever speaking to her?' Astrid's voice cracked and Rosaline felt a glimpse of genuine guilt before she shielded it again. 'Yes you were.' Rosaline pursed her lips and approached her daughter, attempting to take her hands but Astrid pulled away, 'Don't touch me.' She seemed repulsed and Rosaline sighed, 'Let me show you, Astrid.'

'The day we tried saving Nik's baby. The spirit that pulled me back, that was you wasn't it? You told me I picked the wrong side.' Astrid confirmed and Rosaline hung her head low, clearly guilty. When Astrid didn't give in, Rosaline crossed her arms and instructed her, 'Right if I do this, you've got to bring me back after.' Astrid looked skeptical, 'Why are you suddenly being nice to me?'

At the front of the Plantation.

'After Freya died, Mikael was inconsolable. Compelled by his grief, we were forced to pack our things and set across the seas. Eventually, his despair would drive us apart, and that's when I saw him for the first time-- your father. I'd never seen a man like him. Powerful, yet wise, but loved by his people. And-- because Mikael had chosen to leave me alone in his grief, shunning me from his life-- I found myself drawn to another.' Esther tried to explain the truth to Klaus while Rosaline tried to show Astrid that she hadn't been betrayed as much as she thought.

'Spare me the sordid details of my origin.'

Back of the Plantation.

'jdi zpět, say it.'

Rosaline's words perplexed Astrid and her face contorted in confusion, 'What?'. The hybrid scowled and Rosaline repeated what she said. Astrid listened to her hesitantly; not realising her mother's sentence hadn't finished, 'jdi zpět'. Silence fell as Deryn came back round and gathered her surroundings. 'Rosaline?' Astrid still didn't trust it, she had taken a few steps back and Deryn looked at her, 'Sister?' Deryn seemed happy to be back but awfully scared and tears welled up in Astrid's eyes. 'Deryn?'

'It's me, Astrid. It's me.' Deryn noticed how stand off her little sister was being. 'Prove it.' Astrid spoke quietly and Deryn thought of a secret only the sisters would share. 'You were 8 years old and you left the chicken pen open before running off with Niklaus on one of your painting escapades. Mother was furious so I took the blame and had to feed the pigs for a month because she knew I hated it.'

Astrid was rendered speechless, she ran to her sister and engulfed her in a hug, 'Deryn holy shit!' The women laughed and Deryn started rambling, 'I'm so scared sister. Finn brings me back randomly to taunt me and I-' Astrid cut her off and smiled, pulling Elysium's powder out of her pocket, 'We're getting you out of this, sister. That I promise you.'

Deryn took the pouch into her hands and pinched the top of the bag, holding it up to get a closer inspection at the purple spell. 'So this pouch is going to get me out of all my problems huh?' She grinned and Astrid clasped her hands over her mouth nodding in glee. 'We can be a family again, Astrid.' Deryn went to hug her and spoke, 'So, tell me how this plan of yours is going to go, little sister?'

Deryn retracted suddenly and her face dropped. Astrid tilted her head confused but her face matched her sister's when she heard a voice, 'I knew Rosaline would do that.'