to a new era - chapter 2

Francesca Guerrera sat at her desk awaiting Oliver's return. Each brother stood behind her and guarded their sister as the lost wolf stumbled into her mansion. Drops of Venetian red dripped onto the floor as he landed at her desk with a thud. The werewolf thug rolling her eyes and asked him what happened.

'It was Astrid. Astrid Mikaelson was there.'

Her jaw dropped and she hid her fear with a villainous scowl, 'Where's Cameron?'. The blonde wolf gulped as he replied, 'He's dead. Astrid killed him.'

The Mikaelson Compound.

Astrid stormed into the compound with a cloudy head. Her sister looked up from her phone and recognised the look instantly, putting her phone down and bounding over. 'Astrid? What's happened?'

'Leave me be, sister. I need a moment.' Astrid went to walk past her but Deryn pulled her back. 'I'm fine, Deryn. I promise.' She widened her eyes and spoke slowly. The sisters stared at each other for a moment until Astrid paced up the stairs.

She pushed past Elijah who looked back when she didn't and tilted his head. He looked round to see Deryn half way up the stairs, her big sister senses telling her something was wrong.

The hybrid stumbled into the art room as a whirlpool swirled inside her chest. She wouldn't touch anything Klaus hadn't already destroyed but she needed to throw something. Picking up the canvas from earlier, she threw it across the room with a roar of her own and began to pick up broken pieces of wood.

She snapped them in half and threw them against walls, drowning in emotions that she thought she had buried a long time ago. Her eyes clouded with salty tears as Elijah listened from outside. The noble brother had his back against the wall as he held back his own tears for he knew that she had been holding in pain of her own all this time.

Elijah begun to play the song that was playing this morning when her husband was doing the same thing, his own little way of showing her how similar the two had become. Astrid stopped in her tracks when she heard it, her face screwing up in anger as she screamed.

'Go away, Elijah!'

Her tears flooded her flushed cheeks as she began to break down entirely, about to sink to her knees when she heard the door open again. As if on impulse, she picked up a pallette knife from the table next to the easel and threw it in the doors direction shrieking again 'I said go away!' - only for her husband to catch it.

Nik ran over to her without hesitation, grabbing her from her sinking ship. 'Astrid, look at me.' His wife wasn't listening one bit, thrashing around with her eyes closed as she attempted to throw another canvas. 'Astrid!'

It was like time had paused completely. She jumped at his harsh tone and finally looked at him, a small pout forming on her dried lips as he brought her into his arms; a gentle hand placed inside her ringlets. 'You're going to leave me again.' She mumbled into his shoulder and Klaus's eyes widened as he guided her to look at him. 'Why would I do that?'

'We can't escape drama. The chaos that comes with this family is too much! It'll be the end of us all.' She took a shallow breath between words and Klaus look absolutely petrified before hugging her again; wondering what could've possibly happened.

...

Silence had fallen upon the pair in their bedroom. Nik held a sleeping Astrid in his arms and looked at the ceiling. The hybrid husband kept an eye on her heart rate as she wrapped herself around him and her deep inhales were the loudest noise in the Compound until Cami O'Connell came pounding in.

'Klaus!'

This made the sleeping hybrid stir, coming round and stretching her legs out before using Nik's chest to lift herself up. She listened out further, kneeling on the bed and almost straddling Klaus's left leg as he stared at her in wonderment.