a fox's favour - chapter 29

'You alright?'

Klaus came into the doorway as Astrid was tying up the t - shirt that he had leant her. 'Don't worry about me, I just needed a change of clothes.' Astrid looked in the full length mirror and brushed down her brown suede jeans.

'I somehow don't believe you.'

Astrid ignored him and stayed getting ready for the day ahead. She walked over to their dresser and began searching for something. Klaus frowned and walked over, leaning on the table and looking at her as she scuffled through draws before finally finding what she was searching for.

The hybrid necklace had made an appearance again and she clasped it around her neck, not looking at him. It's sun and moon dangled in Klaus's face as she spoke, 'I don't know why you're eyeing me, love. I simply fancy a change.' Astrid hummed, the two still next to each other. 'You took that necklace off the day you found out Deryn was still alive.' Klaus commented and Astrid's sarcasm amused him, 'I'm aware of that, my love.'

'I know that tone.'

Astrid finally made eye contact with him, unamused. 'And what tone might that be?'

'The same one you'd have as children when your mother used to make you feed the pigs. The same one you'd also have when you'd come to me upset and not want to tell me what's wrong.'

'How do you even remember that?'

'I remember a lot of things, love. Especially when it comes to you.' Nik sat on the bed and Astrid turned around to look at him. 'I also remember what you used to tell me. You used to think you had a sixth sense, you always knew when something was wrong.'

Astrid rolled her eyes, 'That was just my stupid 7 year old imagination.'

'What are you feeling now then?'

'What gives you the impression that I'm feeling something?' Astrid frowned and Nik replied quickly, 'The Hybrid necklace. You're embracing something again.' Nik leant back. 'Fine. I am... feeling... something. I have no clue what though.' Klaus huffed before standing up again and walking over to her, pinning her against the dresser with a delicate hand on her hip, 'What does it feel like?'

'Pain.' She looked down at her feet then back up at him, 'But something tells me you're not going to let me go through it alone.'

Flashback.
The Village.

'So what's going to happen?'

'All of my bones are going to break. That's the only thing I can tell you.' Astrid and Klaus stood under the light of the full moon, he insisted he be there the second time and every time after - not being able to be there the first because she was with her family.

'Oh Jesus okay.' Nik was pacing, 'That's gotta hurt right?' Astrid facepalmed, laughing. 'Yes, Nik. It's going to hurt.' The wolf girl tilted her head when Nik's nervousness didn't seem to quell, she walked up to him and pulled him to face her.

'You don't have to be out here. Your father will kill me if he finds out I let you anyway.' She tried to read him and his wide eyes and he replied, 'I'm never letting you go through this pain alone. I waited for you to come back last month, now I'm here. I've chosen to be here.' He tucked a stray hair behind her ear.

'I promise you, it looks scary but once it's over. Once you're under that moon and you're running free it is heaven. There's no other feeling like it. I will be okay but you have to promise me that's once it's happened you'll leave. I don't know how I'm going to react to you.'

Klaus hesitated, trying to resist temptation but he couldn't give her an answer as she yelped out in pain. He looked up to see her leg bent out of shape and stayed where he was, not wanting to make her feel like he was repulsed by her for he knew what it felt like to be bullied for something you can't do anything about.