a thousand years of murder and mayhem - chapter 14 part 1

Elijah stood at the front of the plantation house smiling at them before turning around and walking inside the burnt out building. Astrid followed him quickly, running into the mansion and Nik following shortly after. The elder Mikaelson spoke as he ran his fingers over a derelict piano, 'You seem troubled. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were worried.'

'What has she done to you?' Klaus questioned with a scowl and Astrid went to walk toward him but her husband outstretched his arm over her chest, keeping her behind him protectively.

'She's simply shown him the error of his ways, brother in law.' Deryn appeared on the stairs and Astrid jumped, evidently irritated and assuming it was her mother, 'Rosaline let him go.'

'Oh it's me, sister. And mother was right, I would've loved to see you chained up in that tomb.' Deryn smiled devilishly and Elijah carried on, 'A thousand years of murder and mayhem, and Mother believes she can still save our souls. Even yours, Astrid. She wants to talk. Perhaps we should listen?'

Astrid sounded hurt when she replied to Elijah, as if he just said something to offend her immensely, 'Elijah you aren't making sense.' Nik smiled for a moment before picking up a turned over chair and throwing it at his brother, 'ENOUGH!' The chair passed straight through Elijah, revealing that he was simply an illusion.

'The petty illusions, Esther! Where is Elijah?' Klaus called out into the empty building and Astrid watched as the image of her sister faded too, 'What have you done to her, Rosaline?!'

'Nothing that wasn't entirely necessary, daughter.' Rosaline appeared from behind the stairs and Astrid stepped back, 'Don't take another step.'

'Your brother is a bit preoccupied at the moment.' Esther appeared from behind the two and Klaus turned to face her, Astrid keeping her eyes firmly on her own mother, 'I'm helping him find his way. But, not to worry, I'll return him to you. All I ask is that you hear me out.'

'You expect me to sit through a sermon of your lies?' Nik was growing angsty and it made Astrid jumpy, the hybrid wife being prepared for anything for Nik had killed his mother before, she knew he wouldn't be afraid to do it again.

'I have lied in the past, to my shame. But, I'm going to tell you the truth. I'm in the process of making Elijah into the man he was meant to be. And, I intend to do the same for you.' Esther spoke in a well spoken tone, not necessarily threatening but when the wicked witch wants to make a deal with you it never does end up being what it says on the contract.

'Same for you, daughter. You weren't supposed to be this vile parasite, you could've been the greatest Malraux Alpha our line had ever had. But you allowed yourself and your sister to die. You're lucky your Uncle had children.' Rosaline walked towards her slowly with her arms crossed, her black robe trailing behind her.

'You're a liar. Deryn was always going to be Alpha, she was your favourite remember?' Astrid backed up against Nik instinctively and Rosaline closed the gap between her and her daughter, 'No, daughter. It was always going to be you. Your father and I had discussed it mere days before you threw us all to the wolves. You know not even Esther could bring me back in my own body because of how fragile it had become due to your treachery?' She'd lifted Astrid's chin up with her index finger to face her, smirking when her daughter seemed to grow pressed and letting it fall. She sauntered over to the piano and sat down as Esther carried on.

'This plantation, ruined by fire. How sad, not to mention symbolic. After all, you never intended to build a true home here. Even as Hayley carried your child, as Rebekah and Elijah sought to defend you and your poor wife forgave you for your abandonment, your thoughts were focused on only your conquest of the Quarter. Tell me, how did that go?' Esther thought she had gotten through to her son but she was wrong. Klaus feigned dismay as he replied, 'I'm sorry. Is this some sort of motherly critique? Please feel free to choke on it.'