you know she's my favourite, right? - chapter 13

'You died right in front of my eyes, Nik.' Astrid sat on their bed and flopped backward as she spoke. During their walk home, Astrid didn't want to let go of him and he noticed this so he held her a little closer the whole way. 'I know love, if it wasn't for your little witch then I would've actually been dead. So as much as I'm sure she wants to kill me herself, I owe her my life.'

Nik seemed unfazed by the situation but it was all Astrid could think about. The tears in his eyes as he turned to her poisoned her mind and his scream of pain scarred her heart, it was killing her. She sat up in annoyance, 'What do you just not care?' He smiled, not realising her genuine irritation towards his lack of sympathy. 'Well I'm still here, aren't I?'

'And what pray tell would I have done if Mikael had his way? If the stake hadn't lost it's power?' Astrid began with a start, her voice slightly raised and narrowed eyes, 'Just sprinkle your ashes back in Mystic Falls? Ah well, he had a good run didn't he?! Tell Hope when she's old enough that her father ran head first into battle and that I couldn't do anything to save him?!'

Her voice was strained by the end of that sentence, her own tears wrapping around her throat like barbed wire as they brewed in her eyes and she mentally debated wether her reaction was appropriate. 'Astrid, listen.' Klaus's voice was quiet as he spoke, his hands out in front of him slightly as if to say "calm down".

'No! You listen! I now know how you felt in 1919 and it's killing me, Nik. I had to watch you die! And you aren't even batting an eyelid!' Astrid's arms thrashed around as she spoke and she ran a hand through her hair, pulling on the roots as she carried on with a quieter voice, 'I can't loose you again.' She began to reach hysterics, 'I won't loose you again. I love you to much to ever loose you again.'

Astrid Mikaelson was a master of many faces. She knew when to keep herself composed and when to let herself go even when her temper wasn't needed but this moment she knew it was needed. Nik ran over to her as she turned and pulled her back into his chest. He allowed them to fall onto the bed as she sobbed. He pulled her up into his chest and she wrapped herself around him. Nik's hands shook as he held her, realising the true extent of what happened and recalling old wounds as they met new. 'I'm sorry, love. I'm so sorry.' He began to panic too, Astrid feeling entirely guilty  and the sound of him close to tears.

...

She looked up from his chest and composed her shallow breaths. 'Elijah told me about your run ins with Elena Gilbert and the Salvatores.'

'Let me guess, you think I'm still going to be that reckless even with you around, hm?' Nik hoped his smile would calm her down and it did. She smiled tiredly as he brushed her hair back and held the curls with his quainter hands, 'Yes I do.' She murmured honestly.

'You're what keeps me sane, Astrid. That man who Elijah spoke of isn't the man you see before you. If I can promise you anything my beautiful wife I can promise you that.'

She giggled with a raspy voice and he kissed her cheek. The two sat in silence for a moment before Astrid piped up again.

'Nik?'

'Yes, love?'

'Where's Elijah?'

1 week later.

The witch being interrogated looked straight ahead as he was interrogated by the husband and wife. He shook as blood spewed from his nose and Astrid sat in front of him with a look of absolute repugnance painted on her face. Klaus stood nearby and leant on a door frame, his arms crossed as he observed - waiting for his opportunity.

Throughout the centuries, all the Mikaelsons had ever wanted was peace for their own flesh and blood. In the beginning, their plight could've been considered pure and innocent for wanting to protect those they held most dear was the most mortal desire to ever pass the family by. But as the centuries tumbled on like wheels running along train tracks, peace had become a fragile figment of their imagination. Their stubbornness became a curse and even the Malraux wolf was infected with this affliction as both the Malraux and Mikaelson bloodline shared this trait.