the key's imprint - chapter 28

Rebekah came walking down Royal Street with a bright smile, thankful to escape the dreaded Asylum she had been stuck in. She'd only been in there for a week but she never wanted to see that place again. She noticed her sister in law returning to their home, wearing black honeycomb leggings and a matching crop top and she screwed her face up.

Astrid? Running? Voluntarily?

Astrid's favourite Kings of Leon song could be heard when she took her earphones out, walking to the study. The hybrid only just begun to add a run to her morning routine, feeling the forever increasing need to breathe alone.

She overheard Nik talking to Elijah, 'The wedding works in our favor. Newly empowered and ruled by Hayley, the wolves will be an asset to our family.' Astrid raised an eyebrow, Nik had kept that idea from her. She stayed at the top of the stairs and focused her hearing.

'Yes, assuming you're willing to trust Jackson with our secrecy. Must confess, brother, I'm a little surprised to find that you do.' Hearing that Elijah made it back to the safe house made her smile but it dropped when he mentioned secrecy.

'Well, faith in Jackson is a means to an end. If I had simply killed him, Hayley would have turned against me. You should have seen the ferocity with which she defended him. It was impressive. That being said, I don't take the matter of secrets lightly. Once the wedding takes place and the wolves are forever altered, well, Jackson's fate becomes a little less certain.'

She walked up the stairs at this point and stood in the doorway, Klaus's back facing her but he sensed a presence so he turned around and smiled - not realising she had heard the whole thing. 'What secrecy are we sharing with the Crescent Alpha?'

'Good morning, Nik! How are you? I'm just going to go for a run after last nights events so when you come downstairs I won't be here!' Nik mocked her. Astrid left the Compound without waking Klaus up and nearly gave the immortal a heart attack when he realised she was missing. She rolled her eyes as she leaned against the doorway, 'I asked a question.'

Nik sighed, 'Jackson knows about Hope.' He thought admitting this would provoke a reaction but she facepalmed, screwing her face up and mimicking his voice in the best way possible, 'You put my child in jeopardy by telling your sister.'

He glared at her momentarily before sitting down on the sofa as she asked another question, 'And when were you going to tell me that the wedding is soon?'

'I didn't think you'd care.' He hummed and she scoffed, 'You didn't think I'd care? It's not like I was there the day he was born or anything.' She came into the room properly and sat down next to him, sprawling out across his lap and looking up at him. 'Not mad at me anymore huh?'

'Shut up. I'm still entirely mad but I'm to tired for relationship angst, we said what needed to be said last night. And I'm worried about Kol, he told me to leave last night but I haven't heard from him or Marcel since. I've had no calls and no answers either. For once I actually wouldn't mind hearing their stupid voices.' She tucked closer into his chest and he recalled last nights events; he almost saw the sickly Astrid again instead of the current one. 'Are you okay?' She frowned when she noticed his stare linger for longer.

'I'm alright love, I guess I'll just have to make it up to you.' He smiled and brushed the image off. His eyes trailed down her body and he admired her running outfit, placing a hand on her thigh and smirking. 'I'm alright with this pretty little outfit too.' Astrid swatted his hand away with a laugh, 'You cheeky bastard!'

'Well I didn't miss this.' Rebekah came to the door and the two sat up. Not being in her regular body made the two hybrids hesitate. Astrid stood up and squinted as Rebekah spoke again, 'Well hello to you both.'