astrid's act - chapter 45

'Have you sought out your victims then?'

Elijah came into the doorway of Astrid's bedroom to see that the hybrid had cocooned herself away under bedsheets, scheming. Her mind had switched to auto pilot, feigning grief and tears while she decided how she was genuinely going to go about the current situation. She didn't answer him, his only reply was the tick of the grandfather clock that Nik had recently got compelled humans to move from Astrid's old apartment that now laid bare.

Astrid took a pillow from Nik's side of the bed and turned it horizontal, clinging onto it with her eyes shut. The only part of her that Elijah could see was the few strands of brown hair that peeked through the top of the duvet. She lost her cool earlier and acted out, forgetting the current dilemma. What Klaus needed was a leader in his place, a strategist with plans and actual motives instead of blind rage. That was a difference between the two, anyone who came after Astrid was dead by the next sunrise. Anyone who came after Niklaus was broken down slowly, disintegrated bit by bit and chipped away at.

Astrid's method was painful.

'Are you not talking to me now?' Elijah walked into the room and Astrid fidgeted, the duvet cover moving slightly and he huffed. 'I am sorry I kept you away from our plans.' He admitted, sitting down on the bed and looking at the Astrid sized lump next to him. This is Act 1 she thought. She outstretched her right arm and threw the covers off of her, keeping her eyes shut. 'It's been a while since you've given me the silent treatment, little sister. Can I ask what that means?' Elijah turned away to smile about her attitude. 'It would be hypocritical of me to throw a strop about you daggering him.' She grumbled, almost inaudible.

She didn't mean that.

'What was that?' Elijah asked, leaning toward her. 'It would be hypocritical of me to throw a strop about you daggering him.' She spoke louder, keeping her eyes shut. Her husband's voice was ringing through her head. Just give him the illusion of compliance, love. Elijah looked taken aback by this "confession" and Astrid pushed herself off of the bed and opened her eyes groggily, shooting daggers at him before getting up and slipping her boots back on, having only arrived back at the Compound a couple of hours before sunrise.

'Meet Rebekah and I in the study, we must talk.' Elijah requested before going to walk out again.

...

Elijah and Rebekah were standing over their brother's body. Niklaus laid in a coffin, both hands crossed over each other and the golden dagger reflected in the morning sunlight. Astrid's nose twitched when she saw him, her eyes narrowed and she stopped herself from saying anything. Rebekah looked up and her face dropped upon the arrival of her sister in law.

'Don't worry sister, Astrid and I have spoken.' Elijah stated from next to his body jumped sister before looking up at her, 'She will comply.'

Astrid's left hand wrapped into a fist at that comment and she resisted saying anything. 'You said we needed to talk, Elijah?' She cracked her neck and kept her eyes narrowed as she approached the coffin. She clasped both of her hands to the side of it and kept her eyes on Nik, Rebekah finding it hard to keep herself composed.

'With Niklaus subdued, we must work toward formulating a plan.' Elijah began and Astrid couldn't look at him. She felt sick at the sight of Nik desiccated, visions of saving Cami from Mikael and watching him get stabbed with white oak ran through her head. It was like she was waiting for him to burn all over again.

'Rebekah in your weakened state, I don't believe that you should be involved in the actual execution of said plan.' Elijah expressed his concern and Astrid saw a chance. 'Elijah's right. Technically speaking you aren't an original vampire right now, you're the weakest link. Not to mention the fact that you're still linked to those witches... including Davina.' She stated quietly and Rebekah tried not to look offended, 'And what will you two be doing?'