the empath and her damned soul - chapter 32

'That's impossible. We haven't seen the De Martel's in centuries. How would he even know where we are?' Klaus was in denial. Upon hearing the news that a De Martel sibling had found New Orleans, they weren't best pleased. Astrid had put Hope down for bed before the three retired to the Mikaelson study, winking at Hayley and Jackson upon the realisation that it was their wedding night as well as not wanting to alarm the couple with a stony face.

'Impossible? Then tell me why he was standing in your daughter's nursery.' Astrid stood in the corner of the room, opposite Elijah and Nik sat on the sofa. The hybrid Queen looked stressed, the makeup she wore earlier suddenly not helping with her complexion - Sebastian's surprise had shaken her slightly but she kept herself composed for the most part.

'What else did he say?' Elijah asked her and she moved to the bar, taking a bottle out and explaining as she poured a glass. 'He knows about everything. The fire, Mikael, me staying in New Orleans. All of it.'  She took a sip, the Irish cream running down her throat and soothing the knot she had there. According to her, Finn was dead which meant that Hope was safe. The Crescent Pack was newly empowered and all was seemingly well in the city meaning Sebastian's arrival was simply inconvenient.

'Does he still...?' Klaus trailed off, hoping Astrid would understand and she did, 'It.. seems like it.' She sat on a bar stool and rubbed her face, 'I don't know if he still feels the same actually. But he did tell me that I should've picked him instead.'

She looked at her husband to see his jaw clench and it made her feel sicker, her voice quietened down a bit before she spoke again, 'He said that he wouldn't of left me behind.'

Elijah looked down at his feet, Sebastian's comment hitting him too for although the comment wasn't aimed at him - the siblings would forever owe a debt to the Malraux wolf. The three looked between each other before Astrid's phone started ringing.

'Davina? Davina what's happened?' Astrid's daughter answered the phone crying. 'Please. I need you. Get Klaus and the others and come to Lafayette.' She spoke through a broken voice, 'It's Kol.'

...

'Yeah. I think I want to be alone for this bit.' Kol had just recovered from a violent cough, walking away from Davina hunched over. As he reached a tomb, he stopped when he heard Elijah talk behind him.

'I'm afraid that's not an option.'

Kol turned around in shock that they actually turned up. 'You seriously didn't think you were going to do this alone did you?' Astrid asked with a weak smile. Klaus smirked at his wife before talking to Kol, ' "Always and forever" is not something that you just weasel out of, brother.'

...

'All my life, all I ever wanted was for you lot to care about me.' Nik held back tears as Kol tried to cough out a sentence and the hybrid brother felt entirely guilty. It was moments like this that forced the almighty King to face his greatest sins. Kol held his hand up to his mouth as he began coughing again, falling backward and Astrid caught him - sitting him down on the floor of a tomb whilst Elijah rubbed his back. Eventually, he became too weak to sit up and Astrid noticed - tears beginning to fall from her eyes as she let him fall back and into her lap.

'Kol, listen to me. You don't have long. You're going to die. But you will die a witch, and we will consecrate your body. You will join the ancestors of the French Quarter, and those spirits can be brought back. And, I promise you, brother, I will not leave this body until I find a way to bring you home.' Rebekah sobbed next to her big brother's side, grabbing his hand. Klaus looked up at Astrid and his heart broke. He always knew she secretly cared about Kol, the familial bond between them was undeniable and as his wife's tears reflected in the waning moon - he wondered if he could've done more for his little brother.