Chapter 40 : The Diddly Bops

"Man, it's getting hot in here." Akahana wiped her forehead and fanned herself, Himura noted the weather unusually hotter and it was never like before. "You sure you don't want to tie your hair, Himura-san?" Akahana asked her, noticing her hair was longer than usual. Himura declined and went back to take notes.

Most of the time, Himura and Akahana did everything the coaches told them to do, while ducking to avoiding the flying balls as they go. Akahana noticed a sudden change in Himura, she was much more nicer than before and much more passive-aggressive than aggressive. It was nice seeing Himura like this, Akahana really enjoyed her company.

"Sara." Nekomata approached her and took her to the corner of the gym. "I remember recalling you want to wash the jerseys. Here." He gave the box again, they smell even worst than before. "Last time, the team actually liked it. So I figured you should do this often." He chuckled, making Himura regret her decision. "I can see you are very passionate about this position." Himura nods and quickly closed the box, Nekomata was smiling and looked at the boys practicing. "I'm happy that you are doing this. Hope that you'll be the manager later on." He said to her, it was vague at best, she doesn't understand it but she just acknowledged it.

"What's that?" Akahana asked and puck her nose close to the box. Quickly, the scent of the team's sweat peered and the girl immediately turned her head away from the box. "It's the jerseys, huh?" Akahana closed her nose and Himura nods, seemingly saddened by the scent.

"How could anyone stand that smell?" Akahana said while walking shoulder to shoulder with Himura. "The boys." The second year muttered and hunched her back, the scent was unbearable but she have persist like last time.

Looking back at the gym, the sounds of the volleyballs slamming on the court, she flashed a smile and skipped. "Naoi-san said we should make some food for the team. We must reward them because we already pass the first rounds of the tourney." Akahana explained and walked to the club room.

Making the rice balls wasn't that hard, Himura never actually made rice balls in her lifetime, her grandma always makes it for her and she only helped with preparing the ingredients. "Can I ask you something?" Akahana spoke and she nodded. "I never get to know you that much, Himura-san, so I figured do you wanna tell me about your family? I know your mom is..." She paused at the topic before continuing. "...I heard a lot from the girl's team that your sister used to play for our school, Kaoru if I could remember..." Looking back at the second year, she nodded and sighed. "It's okay if you don't wanna talk about it, I just want to know."

Himura bit her lip and hissed a little, she was too scared to explain it to her. "I have two older siblings." Akahana immediately perked up and went closer to her. "Really?" She nodded. "Both are alumnus from here and the volleyball club." Being more curious, Akahana stopped making the rice ball and ended up listening to Himura's rare voice. "Both of them are annoying as hell, Mafuyu-niisan never stops complaining how quiet I am and Kaoru-neesan kept telling me I'm too boyish for my own good that my voice changed into a boy. Granny always made me shrimp since elementary, gramps and I kept telling awful jokes together that granny and Mafuyu-niisan are cornered, mom...she's the best mom."

After she noticed she was rambling a lot of words, Himura turned red of embarrassment and reverts to her quiet demeanour. It was too late, Akahana knew everything. "Your family sounds fun, I hope I get to meet them someday."

"Girls, are the rice balls ready?" Naoi asked and peeked inside. "Yes, sir!"

~~~~~~

"You all worked hard today, here are your rewards!" Nekomata said with the managers giving out the rice balls to them. Himura watched as Taketora looked at the food like it was a blessing from the gods. "Eat up, Taketora-senpai!"