Chapter 28 : An Awkward Duet

Nearing evening, the sun slowly sets as the teams finished practicing and went on their accord. Himura was just sitting on the steps while mesmerizing the view of the sky slowly turns to the pinkish orange hue. It was peaceful.

"Plialbody attack!!"

Akahana leaped to hug attack her from the back. Little did she knew, when she did that Himura go into fight-or-flight mode and would yanked the girl off of her in an instant. As her copper eyes landed on Akahana's body on the ground, she immediately rushed over there and started checking for injuries. "Are you alright?! I'm sorry!" Himura suddenly spoke up, it surprised her of course but it was the tone. She sounded genuine. "I'm fine, I caught myself on time." Akahana smiled back at her and stood up, looking pretty normal. "It's my fault for trying to hug, when I know you don't like skinship."

Walking to sit down next to the second year, Akahana rested her chin on her palm and watched as the clouds go by like kids running to catch-up with their mothers.

As her emerald eyes looked at Himura, she was closing her eyes and just taking in the atmosphere. "Hey, I have a funny story."

"Yukimura-chan, there you are!" Inuoka panted and took some breaths. When Hikaru saw what happened to him, she was going to offer him some help but he cut her off with, "Do you know Kurihashi-chan's favorite flower??"

Why would he want to know that?

"Uh...lilies--no, daisies--peonies...rose--no she hates roses." Hikaru started to wander in memory lane, trying to remember that time Keiko told her. "I'll go ask her for a sec." She told him and run off, leaving Inuoka.

"I think Keiko-chan likes carnations."

Inuoka looked the person next to him, it was Teshiro. "So you mean...carnations will be a great present?" Keiko will be a hard topic to discuss with Inuoka without offending him, due to his sunshine like energy and always admiring somebody easily would lead anybody into annoyance with him, Keiko was one of them. Thinking about it, Teshiro nodded, affirming only to make Inuoka much more happier.

"How did you know about that, Tamahiko?" Inuoka asked.

"Oh, she's the one who talked to me on the first day during the ceremony." Teshiro explained.

When Inuoka asked why, he pointed at his thick eyebrows.

"And then Chou-nee got stuck in the hole 'till dad and uncle Larry finally got her out." Akahana burst out laughing on her own. "Do you have your own funny story?"

Himura nodded with a smile on her face, "My crazy neighbor asked me to help him get his underwear on his roof back in 2nd grade."

Pausing and processing, Akahana got really concerned.

~~~~~~

In the home economics room, the girls were talking a lot and even glossed over some funny topics about it. It was pretty fun for Akahana and the other Nekoma girls, meanwhile there was Chou busy reading.

Akahana noticed how her big sister was distancing herself from the other girls, sometimes she turned into a pink version of herself when the managers talked to her alone and never in a group. It was really odd, Chou never did that before. She got flustered even more with Kaori.

Flipping another page of her book, Chou yawned and kept reading her book and never looking back. Until she saw someone overlooking her from behind. She slowly turned to see, Himura, staring dead calm. "O-oh, you scared me right there..." Chou held her chest and let out a breath.

"What book is that?"

She heard her voice, Chou was hesitant but eventually she calmed herself down. "The Mourning Dove Mansion...?" Himura's eyes sparkled and immediately sat down next to her, her copper eyes fixated on the blonde's book. "You like this book?" She nodded and flipping another page. "What do you like about it?" Chou asked. "Everything."