Kreacher

Dear Padfoot,

Thank you, thank you for Harry's birthday present! It was his favourite by far. One year old and already zooming along on a toy broomstick, he looked so pleased with himself, I'm enclosing a picture so you can see. You know it only rises about two feet off the ground, but he nearly killed the cat and he smashed a horrible vase Petunia sent me for Christmas (no complaint there). Of course, James thought it was so funny, says he's going to pack away all the ornaments and made sure we don't take our eyes off him when he gets going.

We had a very quiet birthday tea, just us and old Bathilda, who has always been sweet to us and who dotes on Harry. We were so sorry you couldn't come, but the Order's got to come first and Harry's not old enough to know it's his birthday anyway! James is getting a bit frustrated shut up here, he tries not to show it but I can tell- also Dumbledore's still got his invisibility cloak, so no chance of little excursions. If you could visit, it would cheer him up so much. Wormy was here last weekend, I thought he seemed down, but that was probably the news about the McKinnons; I cried all evening when I heard.

Bathilda drops in most days, she's a fascinating old thing with the most amazing stories about Dumbledore, I'm not sure he'd be pleased if he knew! I don't know how much to believe, actually, because it seems incredible that Dumbledore

Olivia turned the crumpled parchment over in her hand, looking for the remainder of the letter. Harry was searching through the room, pulling drawers open haphazardly and frantically running his fingers through his hair-as if it would help him discover something.

"that Dumbledore what?" Olivia wondered aloud, Harry's head snapped towards her.

"I don't know!" he replied tersely. Olivia kept her mouth shut and handed him the parchment. It must've been awful. She figured he hadn't known anything about being raised by his parents-with the timing being so short. He must not have known they'd even owned a cat, much less that Sirius had gifted him his very first broom, and that he was a prodigy. Her heart sunk a little for the boy, messy black hair and crooked glasses, looking for another scrap of paper that was likely not there. There was nothing that she could think to say that would help him in that moment, no words that would give even some small semblance of comfort to him in that moment. She wanted to say something to him, as he lay face flat on the floor, but before she could come up with any words, he triumphantly-albeit, quietly-pulled something out from under the chest of drawers. Olivia stepped around him, trying to catch a glimpse. It was the picture that Lily had enclosed in the letter, and small black-haired toddler zooming around on a wand. Harry looked up at Olivia, who gave him a warm, half-smile, and let her pull him up to his feet. She nodded understandingly, and stood in the doorway as he continued on his search. It was nice, not being quite so alone, and he appreciated her comfort from afar.

There was sudden yelling from downstairs, Olivia pricked her ears up to listen and realized that it was Ron and Hermione calling both her and Harry's names. She continued to try and make herself scarce as the two Gryffindor came upstairs and reprimanded them both for "going off" on their own, and "not letting" her and Ron know. Olivia wondered how much, or how little, they trusted her and Harry, seeing as they'd been in the same house the entire time. Perhaps they thought that, given the opportunity, Harry would go off on his own. It was probable, and Olivia looked at Harry who was now passing his newly found picture to the other two. There was some discussion on going to Godric's Hollow, or rather, Harry was trying to discuss and Hermione was entirely opposed. At last, it seemed that it'd been decided that they would not be going to Godric's Hollow.

"I'll get started on some breakfast?" Olivia asked, more-so to have the others acknowledge that she was still there. The three Gryffindor smiled warmly at her and she made her way down the stairs. They seemed to all have stopped somewhere along the second floor, for whatever reason, so she continued down to the kitchen on her own. Stepping in, she could almost hear Fred and Molly's voices, from when she'd visited after seeing Harry in the Ministry of Magic, after Cedric's death. She'd nearly forgotten that the Weasley matriarch had cut her hair, or fixed it, from when she'd been to morose to do anything. She realized that she was still in her dress, from the wedding, and crept up the stairs to a room where she was only able to find a large and moth-ridden cable knit sweater, and khaki shorts that fit her as pants. Cinching up the waist with loose string she'd found, she looked at herself in the mirror and couldn't help but laugh. She looked like a child, playing dress-up in her father's clothing. Nonetheless, she made her way back down stairs and started on some food.