The Department of Mysteries

The office door swung open and she was nearly hit with a stunning spell, ducking her head at just the right time. She saw Ginny, Neville, Luna, and Ron duelling against Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, and Pansy. Before anyone could register what was happening, Olivia joined the group, shooting spells at the Slytherin posse and quickly got into a sync with the four. Ginny shot a spell at Malfoy, resulting in bats flying out of his nose, Olivia had never seen anything like it.
"Nice one, Weasley!" Olivia laughed, then shot a jelly legs hex at Goyle—not forgetting how he'd helped hold her down in the same office not long ago.
"And you, Wood!" Ginny replied.
The Slytherins had all fallen to the floor, out cold in some capacity or another. Olivia looked at the four: Ron's lip was bleeding, Ginny had scratches on her cheek, Neville's eyebrow was bloody, and Luna didn't look much better. Olivia didn't want to think about what she looked like.
"What was that about?" The Ravenclaw asked the four younger students.
"We need to find Harry and Hermione." Ginny said, ignoring her.
"Where'd you come from anyways, Olivia?" Ron asked her,
"I heard a commotion." Olivia recounted matter-of-factly, "but—"
"Let's go!" Ginny demanded, running out of the room. The rest of them followed her, Olivia struggling to keep up. She'd been shot in the ribs with some sort of jinx, and held her side trying not to let any pain show through. They'd made it to the edge of the forest before Harry and Hermione appeared.
"So," said Ron, passing Harry his wand, "had any ideas?"
"How did you get away?" Asked Harry in amazement, taking his wand from Ron. She noticed her gaze grew more curious when it landed on her.
"Couple of stunners, a disarming charm, Neville brought off a really nice little impediment jinx, Olivia shot a jelly legs one." Said Ron airily, handing Hermione her wand back too, "but Ginny was best, she got Malfoy—Bat-Bogey hex—it was superb, his whole face was covered in the great flapping things. Anyway, we saw you out of the window heading into the Forest and followed. What've you done with Umbridge?"
"She got carried away by a herd of centaurs." Harry replied.
"And they left you behind?" Olivia asked, astonished.
"No, they got chased off by Grawp," Harry answered, "where did you come from Olivia?"
"I heard a commotion." She echoed her words from earlier.
"Who's Grawp?" Luna asked interestedly.
"Hagrid's little brother," Ron said promptly, "anyway, never mind that now. Harry, what did you find out in the fire? Has You-Know-Who got Sirius or—?"
And finally Olivia understood what must've happened, and why the group of them were standing outside at the edge of the forest looking like hell. Lost in her own world of wonderment and curiosity, she spaced out of the conversation until she heard Ginny's voice, obviously annoyed.
"Four, Hermione." She said, scowling.
"I think there are seven of us, actually," said Luna calmly, counting.
"Don't be stupid, we can't all go!" Harry said angrily, "look, you four—" he pointed at Olivia, Neville, Luna, and Ginny, "you're not involved in this, you're not—"
"I know far more spells than the lot of you—Hermione excluded, maybe—and I can't let you traipse around ministry offices, that you're unfamiliar with, when I'm fully capable of coming." Olivia stated evenly, the other three had burst into other protests. She watched Harry wince in pain, his scar, she realized, must be bothering him.
"Okay, fine, it's your choice." He replied curtly, "but unless we can find more Thestrals you're not going to be able—"
"Oh, more of them will come." Said Ginny confidently. And, Olivia was told, no fewer than seven appeared within the next few minutes. Unable to see what she was flying on, or even what she was trying to mount, her nerves ran wild. Swallowing her fear, and the pain in her side, she held her head high, nervous that the thestral would be able to tell how scared she was. Grabbing on to—what she assumed—was the mane, her fingers shakily wrapped around the thestrals coarse hair.
———
She was sure she'd never moved so quickly in her life, the wind bit at her cheeks and whipped across her exposed fingertips and knuckles. Her side had only gotten worse, she was worried she'd fall off the thestral entirely and tumble to the ground. They seemed to be flying for ages, until there was a sudden shift in direction, Olivia heard a slight scream but didn't notice anybody falling to the ground. The descent had begun and Olivia clenched her teeth anticipating the worst, but the thestral landed gently—hardly noticeable—and she gingerly slid off and let her feet touch the pavement.
Ron had landed a bit farther away and immediately fell to the ground, whispering "never again," while Olivia stifled and laugh. She walked towards Harry and the rest of the group, who were crammed in a battered telephone box,
"Whoever's nearest the receiver, dial six two four four two!" Harry said. Olivia obliged, her arm bent in a bizarre angle to reach the dial. A sudden, cool, female voice filled the box.
"Welcome to the Ministry of Magic. Please state your name and business."
"Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger," Harry said quickly, "Ginny Weasley, Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood, Olivia Wood. We're here to save someone, unless your ministry can do it first!"
"Thank you," the voice said, "visitors, please take the badges and attach them to the front of your robes.
Seven badges slid out of the metal chute and Hermione grabbed and distributed them. Olivia fastened hers to her chest, Olivia Wood, Rescue Mission, it read.
"Visitors to the Ministry, you are required to submit to a search and present your wands for registration at the security desk, which is located at the far end of the Atrium."
"Fine!" Harry said loudly, "now can we move!?"
The telephone booth they were in obliged, moving quickly, the street moving from sight as Olivia tried to keep her bearings about her. The space they seemed to go into was dark, quiet, no movement around. Olivia gripped Cedric's wand tightly in her hand, wanting to be ready for an attack on any side, but they seemed to be alone.
"The Ministry of Magic wishes you a pleasant evening." The voice said, door of the box bursting open. Olivia fell out, not graceful in any sense, followed by Neville, Luna, and Harry who toppled out after. The only sound she could hear was the rush of water from the fountain, moving unchanged, undisturbed by their presence.
"Come on," said Harry, leading the troupe past the wand weighing station, which sat now deserted. Olivia shuddered, uncomfortable and sure that it was some sort of sign that the entirety of the Ministry was gone. Nonetheless, she knew she couldn't dissuade Harry, nor could she let the six go alone. She was only a year or so older, but she was well-versed with defensive spells and could hold her own. They made their way to the lifts and squished themselves in, Harry jamming the ninth floor button. The grilles closed and the loudness of the lift caught Olivia, and Harry, off-guard.
"Department of Mysteries," the female voice said, appearing again. The grillles opened and the group moved into the corridor, where nothing was moving but the nearest torches, flickering sinisterly. Harry made his way to the black door that stood mundanely at the end of the hall, then turned to the rest of them,
"Okay, listen. Maybe... maybe a couple of people should stay here as a—as a look-out and—" he started,
"And how're we going to let you know something's coming?" Asked Ginny, eyebrows raised, "you could be miles away."
"We're coming with you, Harry." Neville joined.
"You can't get rid of us." Olivia agreed,
"Let's get on with it." Ron said firmly.
Harry walked towards the door, which swung open, leading them into a large circular room. Everything was black, including the floor and ceiling; identical, unmarked, handle-less black doors were set at intervals all around the black walls. In between the doors, there were torches with blue flames, casting a blue hue onto the floor—making it look as if there was a dark lagoon underfoot.
"Someone shut the door," Harry muttered, Neville obediently did so before Olivia could stop him.
"Wait, n—" she started, but the door slammed behind them and they were shrouded in darkness. The walls started rotating, Olivia watched as the doors moved swiftly, incomprehensible. As suddenly as they'd started, they stopped.
"What was that about?" Ron whispered, fearfully.
"I think it was to stop us knowing which door we came in through." Ginny said in a hushed voice. Olivia realized she was right, having no idea which door they'd come in from.
"How're going to get back out?" Neville asked uncomfortably,
"Doesn't matter now." Olivia replied bleakly.
"We won't need to get out till we've found Sirius—" Harry began,
"Don't go calling for him, though!" Hermione said urgently.
"Where do we go then, Harry?" Ron asked.
"I don't—" Harry breathed, he swallowed, "in the dreams I went through the door at the end of the corridor from the lifts into a dark room that kind of... glitters. We should try a few doors," he said hastily, "I'll know the right one when I see it, c'mon!"
Harry marched forward, straight for the door, and pushed lightly—it swung open easily. The room they made their way into seemed much brighter to Olivia, however, she was sure it was partly due to the original room being pitch black. It was mostly empty, save for a few desks with and an enormous glass tank of a deep green liquid in the middle of the room. It was big enough for all of them to swim inside of, but there were a number of fairly white objects bobbing around lazily inside.
"What're those things?" Ron asked,
"Dunno," Harry said,
"Are they fish?" Ginny asked,
"Aquavirius maggots!" Luna said excitedly, "dad said the Ministry was breeding—"
"Are those br—" Olivia started, squinting at the glass.
"No," Hermione said to Luna, she sounded odd, "they're brains."
"Brains?"
"Yes... I wonder what they're doing with them?" Hermione replied.
"Let's get out of here," Harry said, "this isn't right, we need to try another door."
"There are doors here, too." Ron said, pointing around the walls.
"In my dream I went through that dark room into the second one. I think we should go back and try from there." Harry said. They hurried back into the dark, circular room, before Hermione sharply said,
"Wait! Flagrate!"
An 'X' appeared on the door that Luna just closed, marking it as the one they'd just been in, as the walls began rotating again. Olivia watched the blue torches streak across the room, lines of blue flooding her vision for the second time. She followed Harry into the next room and was immediately entranced by an archway, the loveliest and most familiar voice calling to her. She heard Hermione arguing with Harry about something, Ron spoke, but there was a pull to the arch that mesmerized her. Disregarding all the others in the room she made her way to the voice, a sudden excitement welling up inside of her. She felt a hand on her arm, tugging her backward, and she turned to see a concerned Ron.
"Let's go," he said unevenly.
"W-what?" Olivia asked breathily, main focus still on getting closer to the archway. She allowed the Gryffindor boy to pull her away, confusion setting in. Before she knew it, they were all back in the dark room and she furrowed her brow.
"What the bloody hell was that thing?" Olivia trilled,
"I don't know, but whatever it was, it was dangerous." Hermione said firmly. Harry moved to the next door once the walls stopped moving, and pushed against it.
"What's wrong?" Hermione asked,
"It's... locked..." he answered, throwing himself against the door in an attempt to force it open.
"This is it then, isn't it?" Ron said excitedly, "bound to be!"
"Get out of the way!" Hermione told both boys sharply, pointing her wand where a key would regularly be on the door, "alohomora!"
But the door didn't move.
"Sirius's knife!" Harry exclaimed, pulling it out of his robes and jamming it into the door. Olivia watched, mortified, as it not only didn't work, but the blade appeared to have melted.
"Right, we're leaving that room." Hermione said decisively,
"But what if that's the one?" Ron asked,
"It can't be, Harry said he could get into the room in his dream." Olivia reasoned calmly.
They let the room spin again, waiting for another door to try, Harry walked up once the room stopped and pushed it open slightly.
"This is it!" He chirped. Olivia was appallingly unaccustomed to the crystal light that emanated from that room, rubbing her eyes to keep them from burning. Harry was right, but glittery had been a gross understatement. There was a crystal bell jar at the end of the room, the source of the light, but Olivia was caught off guard but the amount of clocks that stood in the room, the incessant ticking giving her a headache. Olivia walked slowly, trailing the group and ensuring there was no one behind, following them. She heard Harry shout at Ginny, and her snap back, something about dawdling. Olivia rolled her eyes, keeping her back to the group and scouring every nook and cranny of the room.
She followed them into the room behind the crystal jar, but this one was crowded with shelves full of small, dusty, glass orbs. Olivia felt the temperature drop, and shivered to herself.
"You said it was row ninety-seven," Hermione whispered,
"Yea," replied Harry, "keep your wands ready," he added softly.
They all did as they were told, Olivia still lagging behind the lot of them, shaking and wishing Fred was there with her. By the time she reached the row she heard Ron say,
"It's got your name on it,"
"My name?" Harry asked, then peered to where Ron was pointing.
"What is it?" Ron asked, "I'm not here, none of the rest of us are here."
"Harry, I don't think you should touch it," said Hermione,
"Why not?" He asked, "it's something to do with me, isn't it?"
"Don't, Harry." Neville said shakily,
"It's got my name on it," Harry said,
"Harry, now is not the time t—" Olivia began, but it was too late, he'd already closed his fingers around it. Olivia winced, waiting for something dramatic to happen—but nothing did. She stepped forward, not looking around, curiosity overtaking her before a voice sent chills up her spine.
"Very good, Potter. Now turn around, nice and slowly, and give that to me."
It was Lucius Malfoy, she knew that voice anywhere, but what she wasn't prepared for were all of the black-robed bodies that appeared around them. Her heart was beating in her ears, she was standing defensively, barely paying attention to anything that was being said, her main focus pulling to anyone drawing their wand and casting a spell at any of the other. She was vaguely aware that they were speaking about a prophecy, the one that Harry held in his hand, but she watched the ghoulish figured intensely, sure that her eyes would never relax again.
"NOW!" Harry shouted, and she, along with the six others shouted "REDUCTO!"
The spells all shot in separate directions, glass orbs shattered around them,
"RUN!" Harry shouted again. Olivia quickly grabbed a falling orb—a dangerous idea crossing her mind—and followed Harry, swerving to avoid curses and casting jinxes at random to the deatheaters behind her. She, Neville, Hermione, and Harry made their way back the way they came, but once they got to the door leading to the bell jar, Olivia shoved the three inside and brandished the orb she'd caught.
"Olivia, what're you—" Harry started, "stop!" He shouted, realizing what she was going to do.
"I HAVE THE ORB!" Olivia shouted, "colloportus," she watched the door shut with the Gryffindors safely behind, and seal itself with an odd squelching sound. She wasted no time in running, trying to draw as many deatheaters away from the others as possible, and hoping that her bluff would last long enough for the others to get to safety. She made sure to hold the orb visibly, and kept shouting curses behind her, before she felt a tug on both her legs and she fell to the ground. Her elbows and knees burned, and she turned to her back quickly, wand out of her hands before she could protect against the disarming charm. There were four deatheaters around her and she stared at them fearlessly,
"How's it feel to be bested by a teenager?" She hissed smugly,
The last thing she heard was "crucio," and the last thing she felt was a great multitude of pain again. Maybe I'll see Cedric, she thought before her vision went black.
—————
Eeeeeek, this chapter is hella long.

I guess we'll see what happens soon...