N.E.W.T.'s

"She looks dead." A familiar voice said calmly,
"She hasn't been back for ages... do you reckon it's for good?" Another voice whispered,
"Well, Fred left..." the first voice spoke again. Olivia stirred, the noise rousing her from the deep sleep state she'd been stuck in. Opening her eyes slowly, she saw the two outlines of her former best friends.
Cho and Marietta stood side-by-side, watching the brunette girl intently as she woke up.
Olivia yawned, opening her eyes a bit more and zeroed in on the two. Rolling her eyes, she pulled the covers back over her head and laid back down. Cho and Marietta exchanged a look,
"You know, arithmancy is in a half hour." Cho said matter-of-factly.
"Does it look like I care?" Olivia's cold but muffled voice answered from under the covers. Cho shrugged at Marietta who cleared her throat.
"You should still care about your N.E.W.T.'s next year, especially if that's the reason you didn't leave with Weasley." She quipped.
Olivia growled under the covers and lifted them up and off of herself, not wanting to admit it, but Marietta was right. Without looking at either of the two girls, she hopped off of her bed, walked past them quickly, and slammed the door to the bathroom they shared.
Olivia looked at herself for the first time since Fred left, she choked back a gasp that nearly escaped from her lips. She didn't think she'd ever looked so ghastly, not even after Cedric died was she in this state. Shuddering, she lifted her sleeve to discover that her arm—no longer red—was bruising and a deep shade of purple. Gagging, she peeled her clothes off and started the shower.

By the time she got out, she was alone in the dormitory. Getting changed quickly, she made her way down the steps of the castle and to arithmancy class, taking her usual seat next to Tim. She hadn't spoken to him since he'd kissed her, but it was either him, or Cho and Marietta. Olivia thought he was the lesser of the two evils she was facing. Neither of them spoke throughout the entire class, Olivia's gaze set harshly on the board as she scribbled notes feverishly. Tim's eyes wandered to her several times, noticing that there were burns and purple bruises on her right arm—he furrowed his brow.
Debating whether or not to mention it, or ask if she was okay, class ended and she was up and out of his sight in record time.
Tim didn't see her again until their next arithmancy class a day and a half later. She hadn't shown up to so much as a meal in between, and Tim, growing exceedingly worried ensured he brought two slices of toast and left them on the desk of her seat.

Olivia had been eating with the house elves, under the Great Hall, wanting to avoid any crowds of people. She had not wanted to risk anyone seeing her arm, particularly Ron, and didn't want to sit with anyone at her house table either. When she arrived at arithmancy two days later she found two slices of toast placed neatly on folded napkin waiting for her. Tim was sitting quietly, looking over his notes, and she hid a small smile. It was nice to think she had a friend, even after things had gone so awry with him. She made a point of carefully lifting one piece, glancing in his direction—where he met her gaze—smiling slightly, and eating.
Tim felt his heartbeat in his ears as Olivia sat down beside him, not wanting her to throw the toast at him in anger. Out of the corner of his eye he saw her quizzical face turn to him slightly and smile. She quietly took the toast and ate it, her loopy writing copying everything that Professor Vector wrote exactly. He noticed the bruising on her arm hadn't subsided, it looked just as bad as it had the class before. Before he could stop himself, or even think about it, he heard his voice falter,
"Is your arm alright?"
Olivia's entire body froze, pulling her sleeve up past her fingers swiftly.
"Yes." She answered, quietly but determined.
"What happened?" He blurted, cursing himself and his lack of etiquette. She turned to him, her eyes in a low glare,
"I fell."
"That's quite a fall." He replied, matching her even tone. "To have burnt y—"
"—I said I was alright. I'd appreciate if you dropped it." She interrupted him.
"Alright." He said, jaw set.
The two spent the rest of the class time in awkward silence, Olivia fully aware that Tim knew she was lying.
———
Olivia sat next to Luna when she finally made it to her house table, it was near the end of the week and she'd grown exhausted trying to make it down to the house elves while avoiding all of the pranks and falling objects that Peeves had been setting off. It seemed as though the poltergeist had really taken Fred's words to heart. Peeves had been bursting through blackboards, unscrewing chandeliers and lighting fixtures, and shoving Mrs. Norris into suits of armour. Not to mention, the twins had really sold quite a few of those skiving snackboxes, fireworks were going off left and right, and classrooms were full of students feigning illnesses that Olivia had never heard of. Olivia very nearly was hit with something every time she tried to get down to the portrait entrance of the kitchens, and relented finally, begrudgingly making her way up to where everyone was.
She hadn't heard from Fred since he left, but she attributed that to Umbridge and her squad of imbeciles keeping the mail from her. Still, she tried to write him everyday, not telling him about much of anything as she didn't want him to worry. She wasn't even sure that he was even receiving her mail, the toad most likely confiscating her letters before they could get sent.
"Your arm looks ghastly." Luna said as soon as she sat down.
"Thanks Luna," Olivia sighed, pulling her sleeve down.
"Is it because Fred's gone?" Luna asked breathlessly, her space-y demeanour unchanged.
"Something like that." Olivia replied, fixing a plate of food and shoveling it into her mouth. Luna didn't say anything for the remainder of dinner, Olivia ducked out early anyways, not wanting to move with a crowd. She trudged her way up the stairs, to Ravenclaw tower, and to her bed.
———
The remainder of the month went that same way, Olivia barely speaking to anyone—not even Hermione, who actively sought the girl out, could get her out of the funk she was in. She moved silently from class to class, rarely appeared for meals, and spent the majority of her time in her bed with the drapes drawn and charmed shut. All of her letters to Fred went unanswered, and so she simply studied. She worked her way through all of her textbooks, professors had begun to worry. It shouldn't have come as a surprise when Professor McGonagall approached her and asked her to come to her office.
"S-sure professor." Olivia stammered, voice not used to being used. She followed the Gryffindor professor to her office and sat down, apprehensively waiting for the older women to speak.
"You can do your N.E.W.T.'s this year if you feel prepared enough. Your professor's have notified Professor Flitwick and I that you've worked through all of this year assignments, and are confident that you can pass with flying colours. While I disagree and think it will cause undue stress—if you'd like this to be your last year at Hogwarts, it can be."
"But... there's still a year of work to do, and I've less than a month before the end of the year." Olivia answered, throat still dry from disuse.
"I've been assured you're ready, but if you feel differently then—" her stern voice began,
"I can do it." Olivia announced determinedly.
"If you're certain." Professor McGonagall said thoughtfully, eyeing the girl curiously.
"I am."
———
The next weeks, it was as if nothing mattered, just school. Forget the Quidditch cup, friends, Fred, anything—except for classes, studying, and N.E.W.T.'s.
Her professors had been right, she was already familiar with most of the concepts that the next year would've taught her. She thought even if she didn't study, she'd be able to pass, but she spent every waking moment studying anyways.
Before she knew it, exams had started and she was anxiously waiting in line with seventh year students (who eyed her curiously) waiting to be called for her N.E.W.T.'s exams.
"And just out of curiousity," Professor Tofty asked her, just as she'd finished her Defence Against the Dark Arts examination, "are you able to produce a Patronus?"
Olivia looked down and shook her head,
"Not since..." Olivia trailed off, remembering her practices with the D.A. and how she'd failed at every attempt. She realized even before that she had not been successful at a Patronus, "never."
"That's too bad." Professor Tofty said, "considering you've got everything else perfect."
"Perfect?" Olivia's ears perked up,
"Yes, Ms. Wood, you've got a perfect score."
Olivia smiled and thanked the Professor profusely, this was her last and most important exam—Patronus be damned. She could've sworn she could fly when she left the examination hall, and roamed the halls cheerfully, not attending to the time until she heard a scuffle coming from Professor Umbridge's office. Curiosity overtaking her she peered into the D.A.D.A classroom and soundlessly made her way to the office she hated more than words.
Swearing she could hear the voices of Hermione, Ginny, and Neville, Olivia weighed the pros and cons of barging into Professor Umbridge's office without an excuse. Shaking slightly, she lifted her wand, I'm about the graduate so it doesn't much matter, she told herself.
"Aberto," she whispered, flourishing her wand.
—————
The next chapter is gonna be BOMB, this one is precursor to ittttt

I hope you guys enjoyed! Sorry this was a few days late for an update, I'll post the next chapter on Wednesday probably :)
I'm moving so it's been QUITE the busy week for me!

Hope you're all well, this is unedited, AGAIN, sorry! I just wanted to get something out!