The Third Task

"Olivia!" Amos Diggory cried happily, pulling the brunette into a hug, "your hair's gotten quite long." He noticed, her hair fell nearly to her waist.
"So good to see you!" Olivia hugged him back, she pulled away and hugged Cedric's mom, Evelyn, as well. They had come to the third task to watch, all of the Champions had family come to support them for the final leg of the competition. Most of the Weasley's had come to support Harry.
"Mum, dad, leave her be! You're going to suffocate the poor girl." Cedric laughed, pulling her out of his parents' grasp.
"But she's supporting the real Hogwarts Champion!" Amos shouted, Olivia cringed slightly, hoping that not too many people had heard. Amos was still sour that most all of the articles that had been done about Harry, barely even mentioning Cedric a little, if even at all.
"Dad!" Cedric chided, his mom tried to calm his father down. Olivia chuckled and stood next to Cedric watching his parents fuss about him. Harry walked past them and Amos belligerently chided the boy,
"Bet you're not feeling quite as full of yourself now that Cedric's caught you up on points, are you?"
"What?" Harry said,
"Ignore him." Cedric said in a low voice, he scowled at Amos, "he's been angry ever since Rita Skeeter's article about the Triwizard Tournament— you know, when she made you out to be the only Hogwarts Champion."
"Didn't bother to correct her though, did he?" Amos interjected, loud enough to ensure Harry could hear. Olivia rolled her eyes and shot Harry an apologetic look before frowning at Mr. Diggory. "Still... you'll show him Ced. Beaten him once before, haven't you?"
"Rita Skeeter goes out of her way to cause trouble, Amos! I would've thought you'd know that, working at the ministry!" Mrs. Weasley said angrily. Olivia looked towards Amos again, dreading what his next words would be, but Evelyn had put her hand on his shoulder and ushered him away.
"Look, I'm going to go and say hi to Bill." Olivia whispered to Cedric who gave her a pleading look.
"Please don't leave me alone with them."
"They're your parents, Golden Boy." She teased, walking away. She beelined it straight for where Harry was standing with Mrs. Weasley and Bill.
"Olivia!" Mrs. Weasley had spotted her first and pulled her into the tightest hug she'd ever been in. She stumbled and gasped for air once she was let go.
"Blimey mum, you're going to kill the poor girl." George waved his finger at his mother and rested his arm on Olivia's shoulder.
"Hello," Olivia sighed, he sent her a wink and went on reprimanding his mother.
"Is it really you? The elusive Ms. Olivia Wood? Where is she? I can't see?" Bill held his hand over his eyes and squinted, purposefully moving in the wrong direction and waving his other arm about dramatically. Olivia laughed and he wrapped his arms around Ron, "is that you? Merlin, Olivia, you look ghastly!"
"Bugger off!" Ron tried to escape from his grasp, but Bill held onto him tightly.
"Yea, she's really let herself go. Honestly Olivia, don't you care what you look like?" George had walked up to the show that Bill was putting on and had his hands around Ron's face. She felt the hair on her arms stand and looked up to see Fred, this was the closest she'd been to him since she'd retrieved her letter.
"How's Diggory?" He asked cautiously, not looking at her.
"He's er, he's good I reckon... all things considered." She stammered while trying to make eye contact with him. He nodded curtly, then walked towards his parents, wrapping each into a hug. She watched him go, with a sad expression on her face.
"There you are little Olive!" Bill picked her up and whirled her around, she snapped back into reality and smiled. Once he set her down she leapt and embraced him in a tight hug.
"O-liv-ia," she rolled her eyes, "and how is our Egyptian Banking Prince?"
"Quite well," he replied poshly, giving her his hand. She curtsied and dramatically held it up above her head. They both fell into a fit of laughter and he pulled her close,
"It's good to see you." She said quietly, he looked at her seriously,
"I think I may have some good news for you." He said stoically.
"What's that?"
"In regards to you and Cedric. There's been some noise, about something that can help, since it wasn't a true unbreakable vow."
"And?"
"I've been told that something can be done by summer's end."
Summer's end, she thought. That was so soon. Olivia looked over to Cedric who was smiling, Cho had found her way over to him and his parents and they were all laughing. She felt her heart tug and as strange as it seemed, she remembered what Cedric had told her at the Yule Ball. Break us, he'd said. Was that true? She pursed her lips, unsure of whether either of them were ready for a big break in their bond to one another. She looked back at the Weasley's and caught Fred watching her carefully, she knew that he was all she wanted—that she needed him, she was pretty sure she felt the same way that he did. But, looking back at Cedric, she knew he was her soulmate.
"Brilliant," she said with no inflection, a fake smile plastered over her face. She walked back to Cedric and looked over her shoulder to Fred who still had his eyes on her.
———
They all entered the Great Hall and sat down the eat, there were more courses than usual but neither she nor Cedric ate. Her stomach was tying itself in knots the entire time, and she was grossly ill-prepared when Dumbledore spoke,
"Ladies and Gentlemen, in five minutes' time, I will be asking you to make your way down to the Quidditch Pitch for the third and last task of the Triwizard Tournament. Will the champions please follow Mr. Bagman down to the stadium now."
Cedric looked at her and she wrapped her arms around him, squeezing him tightly. He started to pull away but she held him close, gazing into his eyes,
"Liv, I've really got to g-" he was laughing as he said it, but she cut him off with her lips. She wasn't entirely sure why, but she needed to kiss him. His lips moved in sync with hers and she pulled away,
"I do love you, you know." She said breathlessly, a blush had crept up his face,
"I love you."
They meant it, but perhaps not in the way that the people around them thought.
"Be careful." She let him go and he hopped up from the table.
"I will." And she watched him go.
An intense panic settled over her and she couldn't hear what anyone was saying, Cedric's parents led her to the stands when it was time and she watched as Cedric and Harry got ready to enter the maze, but she still heard no sound. The stands were filling up, there were people everywhere, she stood near the front, closest to Cedric. A sharp whistle sound revived her from her zombie-like state, and her heart pounded as Cedric disappeared behind a flurry of leaves.
"This is quite boring, just watching leaves." Evelyn muttered after some time,
"Yea, but our boy is surely going to come back at any moment. The victor, I'm sure!" Amos sighed happily. Olivia stayed silent, her blood running cold, and her heart filled with uncertainty.
———
An hour had passed before she felt her arm. Olivia looked down and saw that the red marks that coiled around her wrist were darkening, quickly. She felt her stomach lurch and watched, mortified, as the burns began to disappear. She stood up quickly and immediately fell to the ground, darkness and an unsettling pain overtaking her. "I'm sorry." She was sure it was Cedric's voice, but she couldn't reply.
"Give her space!" She heard someone say,
"What happened?" Murmured another voice,
"She looks like she's having a fit!" More voices exploded around her, Olivia opened her eyes and found a crowd of people staring down at her. She sat up and brushed everyone off of her,
"Olivia, my girl, are you alright?" Amos asked her, helping her up. She looked at him uncertainly before her eyes widened and she stared down at her arm again. There were no burns, save for a red line that started from the tip of her thumb to her elbow, running along her radial nerve.
"I-I'm fine... I need to, I need, Dumbledore. I just," she briskly walked away from him in the middle of speaking, she clambered down the steps and towards the professors. There was a sharp pain in her arm before she arrived, and she gritted her teeth against it, trying to continue walking. Everyone stared at her, walking across the pitch,
"Professor, professor Dumbledore, there's something wrong. My, my arm." She held it out,
"Your arm looks fine." Snape snapped at her, she glowered at him and kept her eyes up at Dumbledore who regarded her carefully.
"Ms. Wood, I can assure you that all is well. I'm sure that Mr. Diggory-"
"No! Something's wrong!" She shouted, a new feeling of anger bubbling up inside of her.
"Ms. Wood, please control yourself." Professor McGonagall spoke shrilly and demanding.
"I will not! Just because you all care more about Harry than Cedric doesn't mean that I have to! I'm telling you that my arm-"
"What's going on?" Bill came up behind her, towing Fred and George along behind him. Olivia was nearly in tears, eyes from all parts of the stands were on her.
"They don't believe me! Something's gone wrong— I know it! Look!" She pushed her sleeve up higher and put her arm in front of Bill who eyed it carefully. "You believe me, don't you?" She sounded desperate, she looked at Fred, who looked at her arm and nodded slowly. She did look mad to him, and he had seen her just fall to the ground and hit her head, but the urgency in her voice was serious.
"Ms. Wood, please." Professor Flitwick, her head of house, reprimanded her.
"Professor Dumbledore, I think that she may be ri-" Bill started, but just as he was about to finish, Harry appeared with Cedric and the Triwizard cup.

Everything was suddenly silent again, Olivia couldn't hear anything. She turned her head, feeling like the world had slowed down completely, and saw how tightly Harry was clasping Cedric. She must have flown, because it was as if no time had lapsed, but she found herself standing over Harry and Cedric. She heard a terrible guttural wail, perhaps the worst noise she'd ever heard in her life— one she'd later learn came from her mouth. Her knees buckled under her and she struggled against Harry, trying to push him away. Cedric's eyes were still open, his body was cold. She wrapped her arms around him and held him against her,
"Don't go! Take- take me with you! Come b-b-back!" She cried, "take me instead!" She pleaded to anyone that would listen, anyone that could hear her. Amos and Evelyn were at her side suddenly, Amos was shouting,
"That's my son, that's my boy!"
Olivia clenched her teeth and tried to block out every sound. Someone tried to pry her away from Cedric but she refused to let go, she was sure that if she held him long enough, her heart would be strong enough to beat for them both, and he'd come back to her. There were cries all around her, and she couldn't make out any coherent words.
When she finally looked up she saw Fred, his hands were on her shoulders and he stared at her with a profound sadness in his eyes.
"I need... I need-" her voice broke before she could finish, her tears were uncontrollable.
"I'm here. I know you don't need me, but I'm here." His voice didn't falter, he held her tightly. She looked back at Cedric, his parents were still grieving over his body, she started to cry more hysterically then before, her eyes not leaving Cedric's lifeless ones. The eyes that she'd know her entire life, the ones that had so much joy in them stared back at her cold and dark. Her reflection stared back at her through them and she was entranced by the fact that it was Cedric—her Cedric— but he didn't look like himself at all.
"His-his eyes." She whimpered, looking up at Fred. He nodded and held his hand over Cedric's face, pulling his lids down to cover his eyes. Cedric looked as if he was asleep now. "No one believed me." She stared off into the maze now, and then looked back down at Cedric. She picked up the wand that laid beside him, his wand, and held it gently in her hands.
"You ought to take her to the Hospital Wing Freddie," she heard Bill say to his brother. "She'll need sleeping drought."
"I don't want to sleep. I want to stay with Cedric." She answered,
"Olivia, you need to sleep." Evelyn told her, "We all do."
"No." Olivia replied again, tears were still falling down her face, but she made no motion to stop them. No one said anything after that, she lied against Cedric, her tears soaking both his shirt and her clothes, but nothing mattered. Her body felt cold, she thought that perhaps she was dying too, she closed her eyes hoping that it might help. Exhaustion took her quickly, it had been hours, but for Olivia—time had stopped. She was trapped in a nightmare. Cedric was gone.
—————
Ahhh, this was just upsetting to write :(

Also I completely forgot today was Wednesday and that's my update day, so whoops, sorry for the late chapter!

Don't hate me too much after this :(