Yule Ball

Fred rushed about, knowing full well that he was running late and that Angelina would likely be annoyed. He just wasn't sure where his tie was, or his left shoe for that matter.
"Relax, mate, I'll walk down with Angelina so she can see who came with who and what everybody is wearing. But you owe me one." George said as he cinched up his tie and opened the door. Fred peeked his head out from under the bed,
"That's my tie!" He called after George who laughed loudly as he ran out of their dormitory. Fred rolled his eyes and kept scouring the room for his shoe and another tie. By the time he was ready, nearly everyone had left and he knew that he was late. He raced down the steps trying to tie his tie but stopped short when he saw her. Olivia was at the top of the last set of steps, peeking around a pillar, trying to wait until the crowd below had dissipated so she could walk down without being noticed. She had seen Cedric and Cho walk in happily and Hermione and Viktor Krum follow behind shortly. She turned when she heard loud footsteps clattering behind her, only to see Fred Weasley with his tie in a terrible knot. She hadn't spoken to him since she'd accidentally kissed him.
"Do you need help with that?" She walked towards him, motioning to the fabric in his hands. He didn't answer, just stared at her. She rolled her eyes and grabbed the fabric, tying it neatly around his neck and pulling the knot to the tip of his collar. Her eyes met his.
"You look beautiful." He finally spoke, breathlessly and without taking his eyes off of her. She looked down and then back up, a small smirk playing at the edges of her mouth,
"You don't look so bad yourself, Weasley."
That snapped him out of whatever it was he was in. Clearing his throat he held his arm out, she sheepishly pulled her arm around it and he led her to the top of that stairs.
"So this is why you asked her," Angelina nudged George who looked happily at his brother and Olivia together at the top of the steps.
"Why do you think I took his tie?" He looked at Angelina and winked, "I knew that she'd be too shy to come down on her own. I just had to make sure Fred was late too."
"So you tricked them into coming together?" She narrowed her eyes at him, admiration flickering in them as he nodded, "you're quite the puppeteer Weasley." She took his arm and they entered the ballroom together.
"Careful Wood, we wouldn't want you to fall again." Fred teased as they made their way down the steps, Olivia scoffed.
"I'm not barefoot, nor am I covered in water."
"What were you doing anyways?" Fred asked as they reached the last step. He turned to face her, her arm slipping out of his in the motion.
"Nothing." She answered, "shall we?" She asked, leaning her head towards to hall. Fred pressed his lips together and eyed her suspiciously,
"Sure," he nodded, "but I'll know what you were doing by the end of the night."
They walked in, arm-in-arm again, until they reached their table.
"George! I thought I was meeting you outside the hall?" She asked, taking her seat next to him.
"Well Olive, I saw you were in good hands so I thought I'd escort our dear Angelina."
Olivia looked towards Angelina, she was wearing a beautiful red dress that fell gently off of her shoulders and flowed down to the ground.
"You look stunning." Olivia smiled at Angelina who looked down at herself and then back to Olivia,
"Thank you." She replied, her eyes caught sight of a small red stone hanging from the Ravenclaw's neck, "that's a beautiful necklace, where did you get it?"
"I'm not sure..." Olivia smiled awkwardly holding the stone in her left hand, "it was a Christmas gift, but there was no name on the note."
"From Cedric maybe?" Angelina inquired, as George and Fred glanced at each other from across the table. George raised his eyebrows at Fred who was shrugging smugly. Fred was right, George thought, she had no idea it was from him. Olivia shook her head, not noticing the exchange between the twins,
"No, Cedric wouldn't give me this."
"Are you sure?"
"I'm su-" but before she could finish, the food had appeared before them. While it was delicious, she felt her stomach twist itself up in knots being so close to Fred, she felt her arm tingle slightly and worked hard to distract herself from it and keep her emotions in check.
"How's Oliver?" Angelina asked her, Olivia looked over at her, gushing with excitement.
"Quite well actually! He's with Puddlemore United- I'm sure you're aware. He's sent me tickets to see him play next summer! He's really enjoying it, just having the best time!"
George and Angelina laughed,
"It seems you're quite excited about it! It's almost as if you like quidditch!" George joked,
"Well, I do." She stated defiantly, "Cedric said I'd be ready to play for Ravenclaw next year."
George eyed her curiously, "well, well, well Wood. You're full of surprises."
She laughed and looked over to the table that Cedric and Cho sat at. They were both smiling wide, chatting with all the other people at their table.
"So why didn't you come with Cedric?" Angelina asked, pulling her from her thoughts.
"Oh, I can't dance. Really, quite a wretched dancer actually. And I don't fancy being the centre of attention." Olivia explained,
"You started a brawl with Draco Malfoy in the middle of day, in the Great Hall." George teased, Olivia waved him off,
"Alright, I don't fancy being the centre of attention- unless I'm angry then." She laughed, Angelina laughing with her.
"What about it Fred, do you reckon Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes can come up with a dancing chocolate for her? Maybe it would help!" Angelina giggled,
"What are Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes?" Olivia looked towards Fred,
"It's George's and my business." Fred beamed, speaking for nearly the first time.
"Think Zonko's but bigger!" George held his arms out to illustrate.
"That's brilliant!" Olivia exclaimed, "I had no idea..." the more she thought about it, the more she realized that she didn't know that much about Fred. The desserts came afterward, and everyone at the table indulged. Olivia found her stomach settling and was able to enjoy dessert as well. She looked towards Cedric and Cho again, smiling still.
"Is that your brother Percy?" Olivia whispered to Fred who looked up from his pie. She had placed her hand on his arm lightly to get his attention and he felt his heart beat quicken.
"Yes, that's big-head Percy." He sighed,
"Or rather, Weatherby as Crouch refers to him." George said pompously, causing them all to laugh. Olivia clapped her hands together and Fred felt the absence of her touch right away. It became time for the champions to kick off the dancing, and the four couples stood in the middle waiting for the music to begin. Cedric and Cho looked graceful as ever, particularly next to Harry and his date who seemed to be dragging Harry around as he fumbled about. Olivia cleared her throat, attempting to cover her laughter. Fleur had gone with Roger Davies who looked as if he'd won the lottery, he couldn't keep his eyes off of her which led to a few missteps that Olivia was sure Fleur would not be too pleased about. Hermione looked as radiant as ever, Viktor led her superbly in the dance. Olivia watched in awe as they twirled around.
"That could've been you, you know?" George whispered. Olivia turned to him with her lips pressed together,
"I would rather die."
People had begun making their way to the dance floor, Angelina pulled George out to dance, he smiled behind her.
"You sure you won't join us?" Angelina asked before they left,
"No, go on ahead." She confirmed, "go on Georgie!" She smiled, motioning for him to join Angelina.
"You're losing me to another woman." He teased, getting up and letting himself be taken to the dance floor. Olivia giggled and turned back to the table, picking up her glass of water and drinking. Fred was about to speak before Cedric sauntered over.
"How are you enjoying yourself?" Cedric took the seat beside her that George had just left and looked at her expectantly.
"Rather well!" She replied honestly, "what about you?"
He grinned and looked down,
"That good, hey?" She laughed, reaching for his hand, but he drew it away quickly. "Cedric, what's wrong?" She was still laughing but stopped abruptly when she saw his expression change to a serious one. She reached for his right arm and he winced under her touch.
"Come with me, now." She said forcefully, under her breath, hoping that Fred wouldn't hear. "Please excuse us for a moment." She smiled at Fred who nodded back uncertainly. She pulled Cedric out of the hall and around the corner, into a classroom that was vacant, "show me."
He reluctantly pulled his sleeve up to expose his arm, which looked similar to hers, but only slightly better. She hadn't known he had been having so much trouble with his emotions, nor did she realize how much pain he must be in.
"Cedric, I'm sorry... I wasn't thinking when I told you to bring Cho." Her voice was quiet and she was desperately trying not to start weeping.
"It's alright Olivia." He patted her back and let his hand stay around her waist, "there's nothing we can do. Try as I might, I can't seem to change any of my feelings."
"The Weasley's. The oldest, is a curse breaker. I've asked him to help, and he said he would-"
"You told someone!?" Cedric asked incredulously,
"He guessed!" Olivia cried exasperated, her face softened and she looked into his eyes, "look, there may be a way to break this."
"Break us." He thought aloud, neither liking the sound of that.
"Not break, but let us live how we want to. But we'll always be together." She nodded her head, believing every word that she had said. He pulled his sleeve back down and smiled back,
"Shall we?" He held his arm out and they walked out of the classroom and back into the ball together. Olivia excused herself, to sit back with her group again and noticed that George had returned and looked to be sulking with Fred who now wore a foul expression on his face.
"What's all this then?" She piped up, shaking them both from their trances. She crossed her arms and cocked an eyebrow.
"We've just been unsuccessful-"
"Again!"
"In claiming a debt." George sighed.
"Again!"
"What debt?" She asked,
"Nothing." Fred snapped, catching her off guard.
"O-K then." She raised her hands, "I guess I'll just go over and talk to some other people then." She sauntered away, annoyed by Fred's demeanour but plastered a smile on her face anyways when she happened upon Hermione talking to Ron and Harry- or rather yelling. Olivia's face fell when she realized what she'd walked in on.
"- I want Harry to win the tournament. Harry knows that, don't you, Harry?" Hermione asked,
"You've got a funny way of showing it," sneered Ron.
"This whole tournament's supposed to be about getting to know foreign wizards and making friends with them!" Said Hermione shrilly, noticing Olivia who nodded in agreement hoping to not be yelled at.
"No, it isn't!" Shouted Ron, "it's about winning!"
People had begun to stare at them, Olivia found herself stuck awkwardly in the middle of the encounter.
"Ron," said Harry quietly, "I haven't got a problem with Hermione coming with Krum."
"Really, no one does Ron." Whispered Olivia, trying to stop the altercation. But Ron ignored them both.
"Why don't you go and find Vicky, he'll be wondering where you are." Said Ron.
"Don't call him Vicky!" Hermione jumped to her feet and stormed off across the dance floor, disappearing into the crowd.
"Are you going to dance with me at all?" Rons' date asked him, Olivia thought her name was Padma.
"No." Said Ron, still glaring after Hermione.
"What the bloody hell is going on with everybody tonight?" Olivia whispered to herself, walking away from the two glum boys and out of the hall. She needed fresh air. The exterior of the castle had been decorated as a grotto with fairy lights— meaning that there were real fairies there, out and about enjoying life. Olivia shivered as she walked, the cold breeze hitting the exposed skin of her stomach.
"You looked cold, love." She heard a voice say behind her, she spun around and saw Fred coming towards her with the outermost layer of his dress robes out and ready to envelope her.
"Oh, hello." She said indifferently, letting him place the robe over her shoulders. She kept walking and he followed her quietly, not saying a word but staying close.
"It's Ludo Bagman, he owes us money from a bet we made in the summer." He explained, finally breaking the silence.
"I was helping Ced with his clue. The riddle about... mermaids." She said softly, the last word rolling of her tongue timidly. "Why don't you ever tell me anything about yourself?" She asked softly, turning towards him and looking into his eyes. He looked surprised,
"You don't ask." He shrugged and she looked down contemplating his last words.
"I'll ask then."
"What do you want to know?"
"I'll start with an easy one," she smirked, "who's your favourite sibling?"
He narrowed his eyes at her and smiled, his eyes shining mischievously in the moonlight.
"Definitely Percy." He answered trying to keep a straight face. Once she started laughing he couldn't help but laugh too. The music was loud enough that they could hear it, and the winter wind chilled their warm bodies.
"You really can't dance, love?" He asked, stepping towards her.
"No, I'm really rubbish at it. Honestly." She pouted, clasping her hands together.
"Maybe you just didn't have the right partner." He smirked, holding out an arm to her.
"And you think that you're the right partner?" She smiled, placing her hand in his. She gasped when he pulled her into himself quickly, snaking a hand lightly around her waist.
"Love, I'm Mr. Right." He whispered into her ear, his breath warm against her face. He spun her out suddenly and pulled her back in, just as quick. She stumbled and he caught her in his arms; laughing, her hair flew wildly in the air. Their faces were mere inches apart and she looked straight into his eyes, with a big smile on her face.
"I'm sorry I'm so rubbish at this!" She chuckled, holding onto him tightly.
"You're perfect." He hadn't meant to say it, but once the words were out of his mouth her eyes shot open.
"W-what?" Her voice was soft but unrelenting.
"I said, you're perfect." He repeated, his voice slightly deeper. She let go of him and stepped away, her eyes were holding too many emotions for him to read.
"What are you playing at?" She crossed her arms and looked at him defensively.
"What do you mean what am I playing at?" Fred huffed, he crossed his arms over his chest and looked down at her.
"I mean, why did you say that? We haven't properly spoken in weeks, but now you're dancing with me, and laughing, and saying I'm perfect. What do you want?" She narrowed her eyes at him and waited.
"Merlin! What am I playing at!? What are you playing at? You kissed me last night! What do I want? Wood, I obviously love you, but-"
"You what?" She squeaked, not taking her eyes away from him. He stared back at her,
"You know. You must know. Or you're the daftest girl I've ever encountered." He said quickly, but quietly- unsure of himself, which was not usual for him.
"I'm the most daft girl in the world perhaps..." she breathed staring at him, but before either one of them could say anything more, an angry voice cut through the air.
"Severus, you cannot pretend this isn't happening!" Karkaroff's voice sounded anxious and hushed, as though keen not to be overheard. "It's been getting clearer and clearer for months, I am becoming seriously concerned, I can't deny it-"
"The flee," said Snape's voice curtly, "Flee, I will make your excuses. I, however, am remaining at Hogwarts."
Olivia heard their footsteps drawing closer, pulling Freds arm she led him farther down the path. She held her breath, trying to move as quietly as possible.
"This way." She mouthed, he nodded and they walked in silence, overhearing Snape yelling at some students. They walked farther away, hoping Snape wouldn't come any farther and find them. She memorized his breathing, and took in his smokey scent.
"We'd better get back." Fred said suddenly.
"R-right." She walked slowly behind him, "Fred?"
He turned towards her, both of them stopping in their tracks,
"Did you mean it? When you said you love me?" She asked. He looked down and ran his hands through his hair. Sighing he looked into her eyes again, she watched intently, expectantly as he pursed his lips together.