Memories

April came, and with it, slightly warmer weather. Olivia had done her best to avoid the Weasley's at all costs, and neither her nor Fred told anyone about what had transpired in the library. Ever since her failed attempt—if you could even call it that— at restoring her memories she was more befuddled than ever, and grew more and more tense. Even more infuriating, was the fact that she couldn't keep Fred Weasley off of her mind. She dreamt about him nearly every night, his laugh, his smile, his lips. He'd made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that he had no interest in her and she still was consumed with thoughts of him at every turn.
"You're sure you won't come to Hogsmeade?" Cedric asked her on his way out.
"No," she shook her head, "I've got to study. You go with Marietta and Cho." Olivia didn't want to risk seeing the twins while there, and was determined to spend the day on her own.
While she had the full intention of walking to her dormitory to grab her books and then make her way to the library, her feet seemed to have other plans.
She found herself walking to the headmasters office, stopping right in front of the stone gargoyle that guarded it. The password? She raked her brain for what McGonagall had said the day she entered with Hermione and Ron.
"Cockroach cluster?" She asked, the gargoyle started moving, bringing a staircase into view and she made her way up. She entered the grand room and looked around, the Phoenix eyed her curiously.
"I'm ever so sorry, but I was told that when I was ready... to come." She explained to it. Unsure of why she bothered speaking to it, or if it would understand her. It nodded and looked forward again, ignoring her movements. She walked towards the black cabinet and found that behind it a silver pool sparkled. A pensieve, she thought. She held her wand to her temple and pulled out a long silver strand.
"Are you sure you're ready?" Dumbledore's voice rang behind her, she whirled around nervously.
"Yes."
He nodded,
"It allows you to see things which you've already seen, however, Ms. Wood, I recommend you keep your emotions in check,"
"Of course, headmaster." She turned back around and let the strand in, pushing her face into the pool.
She felt herself falling but landed on her feet, and looked around, everything was black. There, standing in front of her was herself, but a more vibrant version. The Olivia in front of her smiled carelessly and her hair shone like the sun.
"Are you sure you want to do this?" The second Olivia asked, folding her arms in front of her chest.
"Y-yes." Olivia stammered, caught off guard to be talking to herself.
"Alright." The second Olivia shrugged and grabbed her, pressing their foreheads together. "Ready?" She asked.
"Ready." Olivia replied. But she wasn't ready, for what she saw, nor for what she learned.
Memories flew past her, and she re-lived every moment of the past two years properly, seeing everything as an outsider. She saw her pain, her joy, her every feeling. She saw Fred, and George, and Cedric. She saw her first kiss with Fred at the World Cup, and she saw herself laugh as Fred spun her into his arms at the Yule Ball. She saw him almost kiss her in the broom cupboard, and George opening the door to it suddenly. She couldn't believe that she'd ever forgotten him.
Then she heard three words,
"I love you," and that impossibly sly smirk. She saw herself beg, and cry as Fred held his wand to her face. She saw Cedric's eyes shift in recognition of what happened and lie. And worst of all, she saw nearly everyone that she loved lie to her. "I'll never forgive you," she saw herself cry again and again. She wanted to pull herself out, to get away from the memory, scared to see any more. But her head was being held tight and in place, she looked into Fred's eyes and tears slipped down her face.
"You won't know to." He'd told her. The memories stopped and she stood frozen while the other Olivia bit her lip.
"I did ask if you were sure... I know it's a lot." She said.
Olivia looked up at herself and laughed, she laughed for what she thought must have been hours, she was crying—but laughing. She felt she had never before cried this much, but did it count as crying if you laugh through it? She shook with tears, her sides hurt, and lied down and tried to understand why she would be laughing in the first place.
The other Olivia knelt down and held her hand,
"You're okay."
Olivia looked up at her and nodded, wiping tears from her eyes.
"It's time for me to go." and she pulled herself out of the pool.
———
"Ms. Wood, are you alright?" Professor Dumbledore asked.
Olivia woke to find herself on the floor of his office, she brushed herself off and stood up. A wave of exhaustion swept through her and she looked at the window—it was raining. When she came to the office it had been a nice, sunny day.
"I'm fine, professor..." she scratched her head and looked around, "professor, what time is it?"
"Nearly breakfast." He replied,
"Breakfast?" But that's not right, she thought "I was here all night?"
"Miss Wood, it's been a few days. Today is Friday."
Olivia was shocked— it made sense that it would take her that long to sift through everything, but how Cedric hadn't busted through the headmaster's door at some point was beyond her, and how it had been nearly a week, she was disoriented—to say the least. Particularly since she remembered now that he was trying to keep a very big secret from her, and why he had been so protective. As if he read her thoughts, Dumbledore said,
"I told Mr. Diggory that you had a family function, and needed to leave urgently. He's been worried however, if that brings you any relief."
"T-thanks. I... need to go." She had a look of stark determination on her face, and an unemotional demeanour.
"I might remind you, Olivia, that you must try to keep you emotions in check. It seems that that's what kept you in the dark for so long."
Olivia nodded and made her way down the office and towards the staircase, at the top she turned back to the headmaster,
"Thank you, Professor Dumbledore."
"To feel incomplete is no easy burden to bear."
She made her way to the hall and felt more anger rise in her with every footstep. How could they have done this to her? Treating her like a child, worse than a child. She didn't even notice when she flourished her wand, nor did she notice that she was seemingly creating her own current— her robes and hair were almost levitating, and her eyes had turned a darker shade than they'd ever been.
———
Cedric knew something was wrong as soon as she saw her. He'd happened to run into Fred in the hall, it was late in the morning and most of the students were down in the Great Hall for breakfast. Fred and George had been meandering around all morning, setting dung bombs on ledges for unsuspecting students and charming parts of the floor to be especially slippery.
They were in the middle of a conversation about Olivia, Fred hadn't seen her all week and Cedric was explaining why, when she stumbled upon them.
"Merlin's beard..." George whispered, seeing the girl looking angrier than ever before. Her hair and robes were waving as if in the wind, but they were indoors.
"Woah." Fred murmured when he caught sight of her, she looked straight at him, daggers coming from her eyes.
"Expelliarmus," she said, all three of the boys wands clattered to the floor around her feet.
"Olivia, are you-" Cedric began,
"No, Cedric. I'm not okay." She hissed at him, not taking her eyes off of Fred.
"But, do you want to-" he started again, interrupted by her.
"Oscausi." She snapped, and just like that, Cedric's mouth disappeared. George's eyes widened and he walked towards her,
"Now, Olivia, I think that we should all calm down."
She tore her eyes away from Fred, and George was frightened by the look she gave him,
"Colloshoo." She breathed, George was stuck in place, his shoes unable to lift off of the ground.
"What-" he started, but was interrupted by her.
"YOU." She rebuked Fred, "You. Took. My. Memories." She hated the fact that her heart weakened when she saw him. She remembered everything now, she remembered everything she had felt— how he'd made her feel.
"Olivia." He smiled, he was in awe of her, his Olivia. His Olivia that remembered him. Olivia was caught off guard by his sparkling eyes, and the way that his lips curled into a smirk. Before she knew it, he was inches from her. He rested his hand on her cheek, George and Cedric watched in wonderment, unsure of what she might do. Her face softened, and she looked into Fred's eyes, forgetting the havoc she'd just created.
"How could you do that to me?" She asked, her voice was cold but earnest. She looked at Fred and willed the tears that threatened to spill back into her skull.
"I missed you."
"Don't." She warned, trying to step away from him. He tried to pull her into a kiss but she turned away. "You don't."
"Olivia, look at me." He held her face with his hands, and she was forced to look into his eyes.
"You have a girlfriend. You made it clear that you weren't interested in me." She told him coldly. She knew how she must have sounded, petty—small. But she couldn't help the anger that was seeping through, no matter how hard she tried to push it back down.
"Olivia, I was trying to protect-" Fred insisted,
"You were trying to push me away!" She shouted at him, again pushing back the tears that were threatening to form at the corners of her eyes.
"Do you know how hard it was to be away from you? I felt like I had a part of me missing, everyday was a new kind of painful. But I knew you were safe, and that's all I needed. I love you, and I'd do anything if it meant keeping you safe!" He yelled back,
"Stop saying you love me!" She cried, tears now spilling from her eyes.
"But I do love you!" He maintained. She couldn't stop herself—she wrapped her arms around him and kissed him deeply, he tasted like peppermint and she revelled in his smoky scent. She remembered every kiss they'd shared, and every smile and realized that it could never be the same again. She pulled away and looked at him,
"You've done too much... it's too much to forgive." Her voice was full of sorrow and regret, she was distraught about everything— she could never love him.
Fred watched her sadly as she picked up Cedric's wand and walked it over to him. She mumbled the counter-curses for both Cedric and George and looked at all three boys.
"Cedric, I can't stay furious with you," she lifted her sleeve to show the burns that had returned and were badly bleeding, "because it'll kill me—which is maddening." She added bitterly, "And you lot," she looked at Fred and George, her voice commanding, "don't come near me. It's better if we're all strangers from now on."
She walked away from them and down to the Great Hall— she had missed enough school as it was and resolved to go about her day normally, as if Cedric and Fred didn't exist.
She took a seat beside Luna who had on her spectacles again, and let out a jagged breath.
"You've gotten rid of the wrackspurts." Luna said happily. Olivia looked at the blonde girl who was smiling sweetly.
"Er, yea. I reckon I have."
"You found your happy thoughts?" Luna asked, Olivia shook her head.
"No. It was the opposite actually."
Olivia and Luna sat quietly for the rest of breakfast, Luna scribbling down notes about wrackspurts. Cedric, Fred, and George never made it in to breakfast, not that Olivia looked for them. She walked to class dragging her feet, and went through the day humourlessly. She had no friends, they'd all kept it from her... except Luna.
———
"She knows?" Cho asked, she'd stumbled across Cedric on her way down to potions. He was sitting exactly where Olivia had left him and was staring at hands.
"Yea." He replied.
"How?" She asked, Cedric looked up at her and shrugged.
"She never wants to see any of us again." He sounded like he'd burst into tears at any moment.
"I'm sure she'll come around," Cho tried to comfort him, but he looked straight into her eyes.
"Would you?" He asked flatly. Cho thought about it for a moment and returned his somber expression.
"No, I don't reckon I would."
———
Hello all! I hope this was okay— it was difficult to write (I probably re-wrote it 4-5 times).
Thank you soooo much for all the reads and votes, it honestly means so much! Your comments bring me life lol

Anyways, again, I hope you liked this chapter and the next one should be up fairly soon :)