Aftermath

Olivia woke the next morning in the Hospital Wing, with an array of voices shouting. She sat up and looked beside her, Harry and Mrs. Weasley were there, she was pushing a potion onto him.
"It wasn't your fault, Harry." She whispered,
"I told him to take the cup with me." Harry said. He turned and saw Olivia staring at him,
"Was it quick?" She asked, before she could even fathom what she was saying. Harry nodded,
"He wasn't in any pain."
Tears burned at the corners of her eyes and she nodded understandably.
"He would've done the same... told you to take the cup with him." She said, sniffling slightly. She felt a hand move over top of hers and looked back towards the other side of her bed. Fred was there, nodding quietly behind her. By the time she turned back to Harry, he had already fallen asleep.
Fred pushed another vial, identical to what Harry had just taken, onto her and she wordlessly drank it. Falling into another deep sleep.
———
The following morning Olivia ended up sitting next to Amos and Evelyn while they met with Harry, she sat awkwardly while Harry explained what happened.
"He suffered very little, then." Evelyn said, "after all, Amos... he died just when he'd won the Tournament. He must have been very happy." Evelyn was perhaps too grief stricken to cry, Amos was sobbing throughout the entire meeting. Harry tried to push the gold he'd won onto them,
"Oh, no, it's yours, dear, we couldn't... you keep it." Evelyn said while backing away from it.
"Then, you, Olivia?" Harry shoved the bag of gold into her, she looked down at it and thought it could probably get her everything except for what she really wanted.
"No. Thank you." She turned away quickly, not able to bear looking at the bag of gold any longer. Fred was waiting for her outside of the room she'd been in, but she was surprised to see Oliver standing beside him. She broke when she saw her brother and fell into his arms, sobbing uncontrollably and needing him to hold her up. He kissed the top of her head and held her close,
"It's alright, Olivia. It'll be alright." He spoke softly, into her hair, one of the only times he hadn't called her Olive. Fred stood away from them, each one of her sobs was a knife cutting into his heart. She'd barely said anything to him, but seemed to accept the fact that he was around.
It was Katie who saw her, devastated and walking over to the professors on the day of the third task. Fred was still stewing about the fact that he'd seen her pull Cedric into a kiss before he left the Great Hall. "She looks like she needs help, you ought to go." Katie said to him, ushering him away.
He would do anything in this moment to stop her crying, he watched her crumple into Oliver and weep, and he wished that Cedric was back, he wished more than anything that Cedric hadn't died.
———
"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right, and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory." Dumbledore said solemnly. Olivia stood between a very stern Oliver and a weeping Cho, as she stared humourlessly at the headmaster. He hadn't believed her, no one had. She watched all the Professors at the front, crying, sniffling, and couldn't take any more of it. She turned and strode down the Great Hall soundlessly, she hadn't remembered to put on shoes that morning. If someone had believed her, anyone, that something was wrong, they might have been able to save him. She walked out and towards the Quidditch Pitch, the maze was still there, untouched and seemingly immovable. She held two wands in her hands, her own and Cedric's. She shot spells at the maze, wanting to make it disappear, wanting to never see it again, a sudden need for destruction overcame her and she used both wands, shooting spell after spell and doing no damage before running at it and tearing the leaves apart with her hands.
By the time Fred found her she was on the ground, leaved scattered around her, and her face had cuts on it from the branches. She didn't look anything like the Olivia that he knew. Her hair had a sheen of grease on it, and her eyes were deeply sunken in. Tear stains ran down her face, as if she hadn't bothered to wipe away any tears, and worst of all, her eyes had lost their sparkle.
"Are you alright, love?" He asked, crouching down towards her. She stared at him and then back down at her hands, he offered his hand and helped her up. She leaned against him silently as they walked up towards the castle. Once they entered, Oliver wrapped his arm around her shoulders,
"Dumbledore wants to see you." He told her,
"I don't want to see him." She replied. Oliver shot a look to Fred who shrugged, then rolled his eyes.
"I think you should, then I'll take you home."
Olivia stopped walking abruptly and looked at her brother curiously,
"Not on the Hogwarts Express?" She asked, Oliver shook his head. She had been dreading taking the train without Cedric, and with many wandering eyes on her for her outbursts during the third task. "Fine. But we leave as soon as I'm done."
"Of course." Oliver replied.
"I'll come with you." Fred said, she turned back to him and blinked, then continued to make her way through the corridors towards the headmasters office. Fred, not taking that as a yes or no, followed closely behind. Once they reached the stone gargoyle, it opened without a word and they made their way up.
"Ms. Wood." Dumbledore said as she stepped into his office, "ah, Mr. Weasley. Please, have a seat." He motioned towards the chairs in front of his desk. Olivia and Fred sat down.
"First, Ms. Wood, I must apologize. You were, of course, right when you said something had gone wrong. Unfortunately, even if we had tried to do something, Mr. Diggory was already dead—that is why your arm returned to normal, your Unbreakable Vow broke and therefore, the two of you became... untethered."
Olivia nodded in understanding,
"This does nothing to ease your pain, or your grief, I know. But you needed to know nonetheless. As I understand, your brother is waiting to take you home."
Olivia nodded again,
"Well then, I must not keep you any longer."
"Thank you headmaster." Olivia said monotonously, making her way out of the office. Before she could make her way down the hall to Oliver she felt an hand wrap around her arm. She stared back at Fred,
"Can I see you, over the summer?" He asked, with a look of concern.
"Sure." She said slowly, he let a smile flicker across his face but it fell away quickly,
"I'm... I'm really sorry about Cedric. He was... a really good guy. Even for a Hufflepuff." He tried to joke, but a scared look crossed his face when he realized she might not be ready for a joke. A tight-lipped smile crossed her own face,
"He was the best guy." She looked down crestfallen and tried to keep back the tears that were forming in her eyes. She turned away quickly and ran to where she'd left Oliver, wanting to get away from everything and everyone as quickly as possible.
———
Olivia spent the following few days with the Diggorys, Cedric was to be buried on a hill near their house. They held a funeral for people that had known him and lived close-by, the Weasley's came, and the Lovegood's. The house was filled with wizards who wanted to pay their respects, but Olivia found herself in no mood to see any of them. She sat on Cedric's bed, staring at the desk across from it, there were all sort of condolence letters scattered across it that neither she nor his parents found themselves able to open. Oliver stood by the door, ensuring that she got her privacy and keeping an eye on her, offering her water every so often even though she always refused it.
Fred, having been there with his family, and unable to find Olivia started to search the house for her. Seeing Oliver, they exchanged solemn nods and Oliver slid sideways to let Fred enter. Turning the door open slowly, he stuck his head in the room and found her sitting quietly on a bed, in a room with Hufflepuff scarves and posters hanging from the walls and quidditch books littering the floors. He looked around, having never seen Cedric's bedroom, and saw that there were pictures of Olivia everywhere. Cedric had his arm carelessly slung over her shoulders in the majority of the photos, but there were some of just her—laughing, smiling, sleeping, eating. Fred sat down next to her on the bed,
"That's a great picture." He motioned to the one just across from her, it was one of her and Cedric sleeping against one another in the living room of his house. You could see them taking sleepy breaths in it. It was a very unattractive photo of them both—their mouths hung open and their hair in a tousled mess. Amos had taken it one night when they'd fallen asleep talking, it was common for that to happen, but Olivia had been so embarrassed of the photo she would always give Cedric a hard time for putting it into a frame and keeping it.
"Thanks... I always hated it." She turned to Fred, who looked so unnatural there, sitting in Cedric's room with her. "Ced loved it. I always gave him a hard time..."
"It's a great photo." Fred repeated, unsure of what else there could be to say. She nodded slowly, not making a sound and turned back to it. Fred noticed she held two wands in her hand, one was hers, and the other was Cedric's. He'd seen her pick it up the night of the third task. The two sat in silence until the sun had begun to set, Olivia stood up first.
"I've got to go."
"Do you want me to walk you home?" Fred asked, Olivia turned to him,
"Not going home, we have to... bury him." She said, pushing the words out of her mouth forcefully.
"Would you like me to come?" Fred stood up, shortening the distance between them. Olivia shook her head,
"No."
Fred nodded and started to move past her, but she held his arm back just as he turned to leave,
"Thank you." She moved her hand to his face and held his cheek for a moment before bringing it back down to herself.
"Of course, love. I'll see you tomorrow." He nodded and smiled at her before leaving the room.
———
He was in a casket, and Olivia waited until his mother and father said their goodbyes before making her way to him. Oliver had joined her, he held her arm securely in his and walked her over to the casket that she barely had the strength to see. She was shocked by how alive he looked, just as if he was in a peaceful sleep. She turned to Amos and Evelyn,
"I'm burying my wand with him." She held both their wands in her right hand.
Evelyn nodded, and Amos wept,
"He would have liked that." Amos said,
Olivia turned back to Cedric and tucked her wand into his right hand,
"I love you. I would have been happy to be with you for the rest of my life..." a few tears spilled down her face, and she patted the wand held in his hand, "this is an extension of me, because part of me is gone—with you. But it'll keep you s-safe. You won't have to b-be so c-careful." She sobbed. She kissed his head and held his wand tightly in her hand. Her body trembled with tears as they lowered him into the ground, Oliver—the post that kept her grounded. She might have leapt into the grave if not for her brother holding her steadfastly.
Cedric Christopher Diggory
October 1977-June 1995
Honourable Student. Adored Son. Beloved Friend.
Triwizard Champion.
Dearly Missed.
She spent the rest of the evening there, and bid Amos and Evelyn farewell. Oliver reluctantly left her after she told him she needed, "just to be alone with Cedric," and she laid beside his grave and looked up at the stars that littered the sky before falling asleep.
———
"Good morning, love."
Olivia opened her eyes and groaned from how sore her body felt. She saw Fred Weasley standing over her with a sly smile on his lips.
"Good morning," she grumbled while sitting up. She looked around her and saw she was still on the grassy hill. She had fallen asleep at Cedric's grave, she looked up at Fred whose smile had nearly disappeared completely as he watched her look around. "How did you know I'd be here?"
"Where else would you be?" He asked, sitting down. He handed her a muffin, and she accepted it gratefully. "Mom sent that for you," he said eyeing the muffin.
"That's nice of her."
"Look," Fred reached for her empty hand and held it in his, he looked at her very seriously, "we're leaving, for the summer. And I won't be able to see you, or write really, nothing noteworthy at least..."
"Oh." Olivia looked down at the muffin in her free hand, and felt a slight panic settle over her. She would be without Cedric, and without Fred. She had hardly any friends— most people only pitying her for her loss. Fred sighed and squeezed her hand,
"I've tried to get out of it, but we all have to go. I'm sorry love..."
"That's alright." She said, her voice very distant. She had started to become well versed in feeling and acting indifferent. She pulled her hand out of his and picked at the muffin. Perhaps he was lying, and simply found her to be too high-maintenance. She was sure that after all the crying and now, living with the tremendous loss of Cedric, Fred certainly would want to find someone who didn't have quite so much baggage. "I hope you have a good trip." Was all she could say. He'd offered no information as to where he was going, with whom, or why. She met his eyes and saw there was a deep urgency in them.
"I'll write to you," he announced suddenly, she stared up at him,
"Alright."
He leaned down and kissed her head lightly, before turning away. She watched him go and laid back down, still holding the muffin in her hand.
———
Hello everyone!
I hope this was okay! I have another chapter— I think— before they're back at school but, we'll see what happens :)
Also, seriously hope all you guys are staying safe with this virus running rampant.
My university closed and there has only been one case in my entire region, so take every precaution to ensure you are safe!