The Jumper

The next few weeks Olivia kept a close eye on both of the Weasley twins, trying to find a good way to bump into them. Everything she tried, however, was unsuccessful. They were masters at not being found, and though she tried her very best, she found that it was nearly impossible— especially while trying to hide the fact that she was seeking them out from Cedric. She and Cedric had deciphered more of the clue for the second task and were working on how he might be able to breathe underwater for an hour, something that proved to be quite difficult. She had her nose buried in a book when she heard someone sit across from her.
"Hermione!" She smiled, watching the bushy haired girl look at her uncertainly.
"Hi Olivia," she smiled back.
"Is something the matter?" Olivia asked,
"No." Hermione had felt stuck between wanting to tell her friend the truth, and keeping her safe. She shuddered at the image that George painted of Olivia drenched in her own blood, she'd only seen Fred at the end of the night stumbling into the common room with blood strewn across his dress shirt and face. "How is Cedric getting on with the riddle?"
Olivia didn't know if she quite believed her friend when she said nothing was wrong, but closed her book nonetheless.
"I think it's going alright. Caught in a bit of a hard place trying to figure out one aspect but... he'll be okay I reckon. And Harry?"
"Yea, he says he's alright."
"That's good."
"Listen," Hermione stood up, "I'd better get going."
"You only just got here?"
"Right, I just have somewhere else I need to be. I'll catch you later!"
"But-" Olivia started, but Hermione was already out of sight. "That was strange." She sat dumbfounded.
———
"Liv, are you ever going to stop daydreaming and eat something?" Cedric asked. Olivia had been sitting quietly in the library for hours, Cedric had been looking for her most of the afternoon and found her finally staring straight at the wall with the book of charms in front of her closed.
"What time is it?" She asked, shifting her attention to him.
"Dinner." He laughed. They walked to the Great Hall together and she stopped to stand in front of him just before they entered.
"Cedric, I've just had an awkward exchange with Hermione... is there something going on that I don't know about? I still don't remember anything from the ball and— what are you staring at?"
As she spoke, Fred and George Weasley had made their way to the Great Hall for dinner— late as usual— and hadn't noticed until it was too late that they were walking, and about to run into, Cedric and Olivia. Cedric's eyes widened and met with Fred's, and before Olivia could turn her head he held it straight between his hands and shoved his face into hers, locking their lips together.
Olivia was so shocked by Cedric's actions that she didn't take any notice of the two red-headed boys rushing past her and into the Great Hall. Cedric pulled away and Olivia stared at him mystified. His lips were so familiar to her, and she knew them nearly as she knew her own, but as she looked at the handsome boy in Hufflepuff robes she couldn't help but think, that's not quite right. She wasn't sure why, but she knew that she shouldn't be kissing Cedric, it was simply not right.
"Thank you, but what was that for?" She asked softly, Cedrics entire face had turned red.
"I-I, well, it, it had been a while. And I wondered, erm, what it would be like." He stammered, looking around.
"R-right."
They walked into the Great Hall and sat together at the Hufflepuff table, Olivia giving Cedric the side-eyed throughout dinner. It was a good kiss, he was an expert snog, but it felt like she was cheating and she did not want a repeat.
———
"Are you alright?" George asked, Fred sat at their table and was looking at his hands.
"Y-yea." He murmured,
"I think it was just so that she wouldn't see us. Look at her, she doesn't look too pleased." George tilted his head toward Olivia and Cedric. He was right, she was keeping her distance from him and had her lips pursed. Still though, Fred did not need to see Cedric Diggory snogging the girl he was in love with.
"Right." Fred agreed, but he got up nonetheless and walked over to where Katie Bell was sitting. Angelina scooted in close to George and placed her hand on his leg,
"What is he doing?" She gasped, George blushed slightly from her touch but cleared his throat and put on his best cool-guy voice,
"I reckon he's asking her out."
"But I thought that he said-"
"He needs a bit of a distraction... just saw Diggory snogging Olivia... or trying to at least." George looked Angelina in the eyes and tilted his head towards the Hufflepuff again.
"She does not look happy about it." Angelina surmised, George nodded,
"That's what I said."
Fred came sauntering back,
"I've done it, we've set a date for Friday- er, tomorrow." He said, a tight lipped smile on his face. As soon as Fred sat down, Olivia, who'd seen him strut over to Katie and back, shot up from beside Cedric and stalked over to where Luna was sitting.
"Luna, be honest." Olivia began, looking at the strange girl helplessly.
"Well, alright. Yes, you're head is full of wrackspurts." She sighed dreamily.
"Wrackspurts? What the bloody hell are those?"
"They make your brain fuzzy," Luna put on some of the weirdest looking spectacles and tapped the table three times, "yes, just as I said. Riddled with them. You've really got to do something about those ears."
"What? My ears? No, that's not what I was going to ask."
"But you said be honest."
"I can't, I just. Never mind." Olivia did not want to talk nonsense anymore, and feeling exhausted from her very short interaction with Luna she felt it best to go to her dormitory for the first time in weeks. When she opened the door she felt a wave of recognition sweep over her, and she found a jumper lying across her bed. A Gryffindor jumper. Puzzled, she walked over and picked it up. As soon as her fingertips touched the fabric a voice rang through her mind. Put on my jumper that is ink-free, and I'll clean up this mess, there was a crooked smile that she couldn't get out of her head. She knew that voice, but couldn't place her finger on it. A Gryffindor, surely, she thought as she held the sweater up, but why couldn't she remember how she'd gotten it.
She shed off her robes from the day and pulled the sweater over herself, pulling the curtains closed around her bed.
She lied there for days, piecing together different memories that were sparked simply by wearing the jumper. She only missed the Friday of classes, but stayed in her bed Saturday and Sunday. She'd heard Cedric in the common room, calling up to her and trying to make his way up to her dorm but always unable to.
"Olivia." Cho said softly on Sunday night. Cedric had finally caved and told her about everything, the vow, Fred, the memories that she'd lost. Cho hated to admit it, but she was relieved that she hadn't done anything to upset Cedric, he'd been avoiding her for the last three weeks since the Yule Ball. She worried about Olivia however, and wanted to help her. It also helped take her mind off of the fact that what happened to Olivia could easily happen to Cedric if she let him too near.
"Olivia," Cho repeated, "look, I just want to make sure you're okay."
"I'm fine." Olivia replied quietly, she didn't draw the curtains, just tried to speak through them.
"Alright, but if you need anything-" Cho began.
"I'll let you know." Olivia finished. It was nearly midnight by the time she realized what she needed to do. She silently crept out of her room, careful not to disturb anyone, and made her way down to the Gryffindor tower. She carefully sauntered over the the fat lady in the portrait, who eyed her suspiciously.
"You don't belong here." She said poshly.
"F-fairy Lights." Olivia said timidly. She didn't know how she knew it, but it was there in the deep recesses of her brain, and she decided to take the risk. The woman eyed her again, and swung open to reveal a very warm and red common room. Olivia entered and closed her eyes.
"Alright," she said to herself. "You can find him."
She kept her eyes shut and found that her feet were moving her, she found herself walking up steps, and stopping in front of a solid oak door. She silently turned the knob and crept in, pulling off her shoes and holding them in her hand. Closing the door behind her, she held her breath, sure that she would wake someone up by simply breathing. There was a chorus of snores, and she made her way to the second bed from the right, her feet leading her there again.
There he lay, his long red hair was splayed across his face and pillow. His lips were slightly parted, she could hear his jagged breaths. She stood for, she didn't know how long, looking down at him, remembering fragments of things, bits of memories flooded her mind. He suddenly opened his eyes, staring into hers. If he was surprised, he didn't show it, he simply moved farther to one side- making a space for her.
Fred watched as Olivia slipped in beside him, she was wearing his jumper which hung down to just above her knees. She seemed to be using it like a night gown, her pale legs shining from the moonlight that hit them.
They lay beside one another, staring intently at the other.
"Are you a dream?" He whispered,
"I don't think so." She said breathlessly, "who are you?"
"Fred Weasley."
"You know who I am?" She asked, he nodded in reply.
"Okay." She wasn't sure what she'd wanted from him, or what she would have liked to hear. She felt herself thinking more clearly than she had in weeks. "Everything makes more sense with you."
"You can't be near me." He pushed her away from him gently.
"But why?"
"You should go."
"Can I stay?"
"No."
"Please?" Her voice was quiet, but pleading.
"Okay." He breathed, he wanted her to stay more than anything. He wanted her to be his, near him, with him. He couldn't fight it, not tonight, not after everything. They stared at each other until sleep took them, she knew he had something she wanted, and he knew that he could never tell her. Being close to him she remembered that she needed him, but she didn't understand how much, or why. It kept her safe, her not knowing, her blindness to the truth. He kept his distance, ensuring that they never touched.
When he woke up the next morning she was gone. He wondered if it really was a dream, but the unmistakeable smell of parchment and lavender gave away the fact that she'd been there.
———
Cedric's mouth hung open on Monday morning when Olivia sauntered in to the Common Room wearing an all-too-familiar Gryffindor Jumper.
"W-what's that?" He asked as she sat next to him, she looked down at herself and shrugged,
"It was on my bed."
"So you just wore it?"
"It's comfortable." She was almost sure it had to have been Fred's, but she still didn't understand how he fit into everything. She smiled at Cedric and he calmed down a bit, she surely couldn't know about everything. Perhaps it was just an innocent jumper.