Chapter 44

I wince as I place the peas on my hand, trying my best to stop the swelling and the pain. After the adrenaline wore off, the pain kicked in and I realised pretty surely after, how badly I messed up. I don't regret doing what I did, in fact I would do it again, but I do regret the pain that comes afterwards.

I slowly take off the peas, looking at the bruising of my hand, wincing again as I place the peas back down. I rest my head down on the sofa, closing my eyes as I wait for the pain to subside. I take a shaky breath in and out, biting down on my lip as the pain slowly eases away.

I hear a car door close and foot steps approach the front door. I shrink into the couch, unsure whether I should be afraid or not. After what I did to Gabe, I'm not sure what I should expect. The person knocks on the door slightly, waiting for my response.

I slowly make my way off the couch, grabbing the baseball bat next to the front door (a gift from Stiles), and cautiously approach the door. I unlock it slowly, raising the bat and swinging the door open. I lower the bat instantly as Theo looks at me, cowering over with his hands raised.

"What the fuck," he whispers, grabbing the bat off me. "Regret your decision I see."

"What decision?" I question him.

"You know what I'm talking about," he snaps, his eyebrows furrowed as he looks at me. "How could you be so stupid and irrational? I had everything under control and just like that... you have to come in and save the day! I don't need your help Liam!"

"Are you serious?" I bite back, the anger rising inside of me. "Looks like you have everything under control," I point to his blackened eye. "I didn't just do it for you Theo, I did it for me as well. With Gabe in your life, he's also in my life and with him in it... we can never truly be happy. Not with us constantly worried about when he's going to strike next or what he's going to demand from you next. I did this for us. You and me!"

Theo slowly looks to the ground, a crooked smile forming on his face as he looks back up at me. He takes a step closer to me, grabbing the back of my head and looking into my eyes. He kisses me and then embraces me in a hug, kissing the top of my forehead.

I embrace him back, taking in his scent and the feeling of being safe and secure. I don't want to let him go, because I already know what's going to happen.

"He'll never let us go," he whispers. "We're never going to be able to be fully happy."

I hold back the tears, burying myself deeper into his chest, refusing to listen to what he was saying. I know that we can make it work, I just need him to see it as well.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you what I was going to go and do," I tell him, the guilt now consuming me.

I break off the hug,

"I'm the one who is sorry. I should of told you what was going on the moment Gabe texted me again. That's why I had to rush out that day," he begins to tell me. "He needed me to do a job for him and I told him I would. He wanted it done as soon as possible, but you didn't want me to leave. I couldn't leave straight away and Gabe wasn't happy with that."

He slowly raises my hand, taking the peas off it and examining it. He scrunches up his face as he looks at it, clearly not too happy with what it looks like. He kisses my knuckles gently, placing the peas back on it and letting go of my hand.

"I'm so sorry," he whispers, his eyes filling with tears. "I should've told you what was going on, we could have avoided all of this."

"Hey," I whisper, placing my free hand on his face, stroking his cheek gently with my thumb. "I would have done it regardless whether or not you told me. I would do anything to protect you, Theo."

He laughs slightly, smiling down at me. I bring his head down slightly, placing my lips on his. He wraps his hands around my waist, kissing me back.

"I love you, Liam Dunbar." He whispers, resting his forehead on mine.

"And I you," I tell him.

He smiles, placing a kiss on my forehead and bringing me back into a hug. I rest my head on his chest, closing my eyes as we sway side to side, Theo's arms wrapped around me. He rests his chin on the top of my head, pulling me in closer to him.

We continue to stand like this for the next 10 minutes, in complete silence. We didn't need to say anything, everything had already been said and all we really want at this particular time, is just one another. I know that's all I want at the moment.

"Can I ask you something?" He whispers.

"Go for it," I whisper back, my eyes still closed.

"Can I stay the night?" He asks me.

I lift my head up, looking into his eyes. I smile and nod, kissing his lips and grabbing his hand. I take him up to my room.

He sits on the end of my bed, taking off his hoodie and shirt. I look down at him, admiring his perfection, lucky to be able to call this man mine. He looks up at me, smiling his usual cocky smile.

Theo jumps in bed, patting the spot next to him, indicating for me to jump in. I jump into bed, turning off the lights and resting my head on his chest. He plays with a strand of my hair with one of his hand and holds one of my hands, with his free hand.

I close my eyes, listening to his heartbeat and feel the warmth from his bare chest, as I slowly drift off to sleep.

I wake up to sound of feet shuffling on the floor. I stretch out my arm, feeling around the bed for Theo, opening my eyes instantly when he was nowhere to be felt. I sit up, turning around to see Theo putting a hoodie on.

I click my phone to display the time; 5:45 am. I look outside my window, the sky still dark. Theo walks over to the door, turning around to see me looking at him. He looks guilty as he looks back at me, clearly not wanting me to know that he was leaving.

"Sorry babe," he whispers, shuffling over to me. "I was trying not to wake you up."

"Where are you going?" I ask him slightly hurt.

"I need to deal with something," he smiles, rubbing my head. "I'll be back before you know. Go back to sleep, it's early."

He kisses my forehead, smiling as I lay back down, watching as he walks out of my room. I close my eyes, unsure whether or not I should go after him or not. I try to open my eyes again, wanting to go after Theo to make sure he doesn't get into any trouble or to make sure nothing bad happens to him.

But before I know it, I'm back into a dreamless sleep.