Chapter 28

"Liam," I hear my name being whispered from a distance. "Liam, wake up."

I slowly open my eyes, my mom slightly shaking me. I sit up instantly, looking around the room for Theo. I look in the kitchen, a sudden sadness washing over me as he was no where to be seen. I rub my eyes and look at my mom, smiling as I stretch.

I don't even remember falling asleep. The last thing I can remember, is laying here in Theo's arms. I don't even remember what we were talking about, but I can remember how I didn't want the moment to end. I can remember how happy I felt, how secure his arms were.

"How was work?" I ask my mom, trying to ignore the feeling building inside me.

I know that after everything we spoke about tonight and how much we've been through, I know Theo will have a good reason for leaving. He probably left a note somewhere or tried to wake me up. He wouldn't leave me again, not like last time.

"It was long," she tells me, resting her feet on the table. "How about you, baby? How was your day?"

"Well," I whisper, smiling as I think about it again. "It was pretty chill. I just ordered some pizza, watched a movie and clearly fell asleep."

She laughs and rest her head on the couch. I can tell by the dark circles under her eyes that she's clearly sleep deprived and overworking herself. I stand up and kiss her on the forehead, saying my goodnights and walking into the kitchen.

I quickly look around for a note or something to indicate why he left without saying goodbye. I wasn't surprised when I found nothing. I roll my eyes and go up to my room, dragging my feet along the ground.

I open my door and close it, flopping down on my bed. I take a deep breath in and out, trying to ignore the sadness I was feeling. I don't know why Theo leaving hurt so badly. We're friends again, or whatever it is we are, and we can see each other whenever we want. So, why does it bother me so much that he left? I mean, it is annoying he left without saying goodbye, but surely that isn't enough to make me feel this way.

I roll onto my back, taking my phone off charge. I click the on button, my heart stopping as I look at the notifications.

From: Theo:
Sorry for leaving like that. Tara needed me home and I didn't wanna wake up you. You looked too cute x

I bite my bottom lip as I read the message, butterflies exploding in my stomach. I smile at the message, reading it over and over again. I lock my phone and rest my phone on my chest, smiling uncontrollably over the message. He not only called me cute, but he also did have a reason to leave.

He didn't leave because he wanted to, but because he needed to. I think about what would've happened if Tara didn't text Theo to come home. Would he still be here with me? What would have happened with my mom? Maybe Theo didn't fall asleep like I did.

I smile even wider as I think about it. My lips crave his lips more than ever. I can still feel his soft, plump lips on mine, with a hint of his strawberry chapstick. I lick my lips, the faint taste of his lips still on mine.

I go over to my desk and sit down, unlocking my laptop and bringing up FaceTime. I click on his name, putting in my headphones as the call starts ringing. I smile as the word 'connecting' displays across the screen.

"Hello there, sleepyhead." He answers, smiling as he sees me.

"Hi," I whisper, a sudden wave of nerves coming over me.

"Sorry about leaving like that, I didn't want to wake you up." He tells me, pouting out his lip.

"No, it's all good." I laugh, leaning in closer to the screen.

I just want to run my hand through his hair, feel his body against mine, I crave the taste of his lips.

"Anyways, I just finished unpacking all my things," he begins telling me, sticking his head out his door and leaning in closer to the screen. "That's why I had to come home, because Tara wasn't happy about the boxes being everywhere."

He rolls his eyes, making me smile uncontrollably. He turns his camera around, showing me his room. He takes me through his whole room, starting with his bed. He seems to be a very simple person. There wasn't many posters hanging around, his bed had two pillows and a blanket. His desk had one pencil holder, with two pens, a pencil and an eraser.

His room contained a bed, desk, bedside table and a TV. There were no additional decorations to make it feel more like home. I smile when he turns his camera back around, facing him again. He runs his hand through his hair as he flops down on his bed.

"I know it isn't much, but I mean I like it. I'm a pretty simple man, so I don't need much." He tells me, fluffy up one of his pillows.

"I see that," I sarcastically tell him, receiving a sarcastic smile.

"You'll have to come visit sometime," he tells me.

I feel my cheeks instantly go red. My throat tightens as I go to speak, so I just nod instead. I sink down in the chair, hoping he didn't notice just how nervous he makes me.

"Maybe you can even help me decorate it a little more," he smiles. "So, where's my room tour?"

"You'll just have to come see it next time you're here," I tell him, watching as his cheeks were now bright red.

"You're a tease, Liam Dunbar."

I sit there in awe, as my name comes out of his mouth. I grab my laptop, turn off my light and get into bed. I place my laptop on the pillow next to me, listening as Theo goes on about this story I don't even understand.

"And then next thing you know, bang! He's now been diagnosed and now they're both dying, but it's a race as to who is first. No spoilers about who dies first, but it's pretty obvious as to who does die." He continues telling me about his favourite book.

I lay there, listening to his voice as it fills my room. I close my eyes, his voice giving me a sense of ease, a sense of safety. I smile as he starts whispering, clearly noticing my eyes closed.

The black abyss shortly takes me, sending me into a dreamless sleep.