Chapter 01

I sat alone at the wooden bench, just as I did every morning before school. The sun was brighter today than most other days, which was a good feeling. I took off my jacket and plugged in my headphones, playing my music as loudly as I could, blocking out all the other noises. I closed my eyes and rested my head on my jacket, waiting for the bell to go. The cool breeze ran up my body, sending a small shiver down my spine, but nothing too unpleasant.

I opened my eyes back up and raised the pencil in my hand, drawing the field of flowers that was in front of me. I slightly sketch each one of them, trying to get them as precise as I could. The drawing slowly started to come together, looking somewhat similar to the view in front of me.

I heard footsteps approaching me, giving me plenty of warning to hide my drawing. I quickly opened up my textbook, making it look like I was study before class. When I felt a hand on my back, I smiled softly and turned around, noticing that it was only Mason.

"Hey," he cheerful sat down, looking over at my work. "Maths?"

"Yeah, I didn't get time to finish it last night," I told him, hoping he wouldn't ask me why I didn't get to complete it.

"Want my notes?" He asked me, reaching into his bag and grabbing out his note book. My smile grew knowing that I didn't have to stress anymore about maths. "So, what are you doing tonight? I was thinking maybe we could play some video games and study for our chemistry test next week?"

I nodded at the idea, copying down the notes as he suggested something for us to do. Mason and I normally spend a couple of nights together to study for a test, so it didn't come as a surprise when he suggested it, but he normally invites Corey with us. I took another look up at Mason and noticed that Corey wasn't even with him.

I looked around and gave Mason a questionable look, only to receive a slight shake of the head. Recently Mason and Corey have been having some issues, but they normally work through them, but this time is different. It's been two days since I've seen seen them near each other. It's like they've grown an intolerance to one another. I don't want to get involved with it or take sides, but Mason knows I'll always have his back. Corey may be my friend and we may be close, but Mason has been my best friend since 6th grade and both Corey and Mason know that I would choose Mason.

I finished copying down the notes and started packing everything away, handing Mason back his note book. He looked down at my hand and then back up to my eyes, looking at me like I was dumb.

"What?" I asked him, putting my hand under the bench.

"I don't get why you try and hid it Liam," I looked at him slightly confused, unsure of what he was talking about. "I can see the smudges from the grey-lead," I looked down at my hand and see the grey marks, wiping them off. "I don't get why I'm not allowed to see them. I'm the only one who actually knows that you draw and I had to find that out on my own. I'm sure you're good at them."

"It's not that I don't want people to see," I stated, avoiding any eye contact with him. "It's just I don't want people to judge me or criticise me for liking it."

"Like your dad use to?" He asked me, giving me a sad look. I gave him a slight nod and stood up, making sure I didn't leave anything behind. "Well I think it's a good way to express yourself and show everyone that you're so much more than what they think. You're not just a good lacrosse player, you're also a good drawer. You shouldn't be ashamed to show them that."

A small smile spread across my face. If there's one thing I know for sure, it's that Mason always knows how to put me in a good mood. Even if what he says isn't true, he always manages to put a smile on my face.

We start to head towards class as the bell began to ring throughout the school. I quickly headed to my locker, throwing everything in and getting the books I need. I lock my locker and make my way to Mason's, walking with him to English.

We get to class and sit in our usual spots, right next to each other in the back row, next to the window. I look outside at the flower field, getting a good look at it before class starts. I get my desk organised before class, setting out my utensils and books, making sure there's enough room for me to write without feeling crowded.

The finale bell goes and every starts to rush in, taking a seat and pulling everything out. I looked at the whiteboard, rolling my eyes as the teacher starts to copy down things for us to write down. I don't hate English, but I hate all the writing and the work that comes with it.

I take a deep breath in, trying to keep myself awake during the class. My mind keeps on going back to the field of flowers, showing signs that it was spring. I copied down the rest of the notes, not paying attention to what the teacher was saying.

My attention shortly goes back to the field of flowers, as did my eyes. The flowers were still there and still as beautiful as before, but something new was there this time. There was someone standing over them, looking at them as I was. He was tall and had brown hair, but that's all I could see from where he was standing.

Now my attention had something else to concentrate on.